Should I repeat year 12? (1 Viewer)

melodic_gal

HSC
I went to an EXTREMELY shit school this year (think ranked lower than 600) and all my teachers told me how i was going to go really well in the HSC blah blah blah. I only went well compared to other years and ended up getting 88.15 which is considerably lower than what my teachers had led me to expect :( I had my sights set on medicine at UNSW and I know this is impossible with my ATAR even for rural entry (which I'm eligible for). I also can't transfer after a year of a BSc or something similar because they calculate your entry score 50:50 ATAR:GPA.
I know I certainly didn't work anywhere near enough and now I'm considering repeating my HSC at my old school which is considerably better than the one I just graduated from (about 150ish). Other than that I could do med at a postgrad level at another uni but I do REALLY want to study at UNSW so I'm in a bit of a predicament because I don't really want to go back to school if I can help.
you know there are alternatives like TAFE. you can do courses like the Tertiary Preparation Certificate its like doing your HSC. There were people doing this course who didn't think they did achieve what they wanted in their HSC, wanted to get a better mark and go to university. This also boosts your ATAR mark too.

juts a suggestion :)

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
you didnt "work nearly enough" and thought youd get 99+?
judging by this, you are an idiot and should be happy with 88.
However, if you do the HSC again and dont get 99, please remove yourself from the earth.

HSC
N/A
Please, do not do med.
People who don't get into med the first try are just not cut out to be doctors, we don't want moron's who watch to much 'House' in our operating theatres.

Take the hint, and go and do pharmacy or whatever

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Please, do not do med.
People who don't get into med the first try are just not cut out to be doctors, we don't want moron's who watch to much 'House' in our operating theatres.

Look at your rep, take the hint and stop posting.

elmoateme

HSC
No need to abuse the OP telling them they are stupid people. You really can't tell that from what they've said.

Anyway, a friend of mine from work (now in her late 20s) repeated the HSC and said it was a great decision, and there is nothing wrong or embaressing about repeating year 12. However, I think her situation was slightly different as she did not put in any effort and couldnt get into any courses she would consider studying i.e. it was nearly her only option. You however still have plenty of alternatives.

Who knows, if you did go back you might end up with 99 or whatever ATAR you want, however, even with a new school and a new attitude would you necessarily get that? What would happen if you got results back next year and you still couldnt get into UNSW med? Personally, I think it would be best just to go straight to uni. That way you are still with people your own age, you have more freedom and you've made genuine progress towards achieving your goal whereas if you did the HSC again, there is no garuanteed progess.

Also, at the end of your degree nobody cares too much about what university you went to. They care about your grades, your manner with your patients and co-workers, your attitude and your committment to becoming a Doctor.

Above all, the HSC is just pointless ticking off dot points where you learn almost nothing, whereas uni is a whole different atmosphere where you actually learn things which are not only more interesting, but also relevant to your future plans.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Please, do not do med.

Patch Adams, the man went to med school without doing an undergrad degree, now he is a world wide recognised medical doctor, what do you have to say to that?

HSC
N/A
Patch Adams, the man went to med school without doing an undergrad degree, now he is a world wide recognised medical doctor, what do you have to say to that?
You appear to be quiet a sad little moron, Patch Adams got his degree in the 60's, then become some sort of administrator/clown doctor.

i was just saying that people who cannot break 95 (which does not require attending a 'good school' or even much study) should consider a career in which people's lives do not depend on their capacity for intellectual thought during stressful situations.

philphie

Banned
HSC
You appear to be quiet a sad little moron, Patch Adams got his degree in the 60's, then become some sort of administrator/clown doctor.

i was just saying that people who cannot break 95 (which does not require attending a 'good school' or even much study) should consider a career in which people's lives do not depend on their capacity for intellectual thought during stressful situations.
he did undergrad course work, but dropped out, he got his post grad degree from med school, yes.

how do you think a 95 minimum at school resembles anything close to i don't know, an MD's ability to recognise symptoms or a surgeon's ability to make quick decisions and have steady hands?

and i am neither sad, little, or moronic. if you give people the opporttunity to develop, they will

VicerExciser

HSC
Should I repeat year 12?
I went to an EXTREMELY shit school this year (think ranked lower than 600) and all my teachers told me how i was going to go really well in the HSC blah blah blah. I only went well compared to other years and ended up getting 88.15 which is considerably lower than what my teachers had led me to expect :( I had my sights set on medicine at UNSW and I know this is impossible with my ATAR even for rural entry (which I'm eligible for). I also can't transfer after a year of a BSc or something similar because they calculate your entry score 50:50 ATAR:GPA.
I know I certainly didn't work anywhere near enough and now I'm considering repeating my HSC at my old school which is considerably better than the one I just graduated from (about 150ish). Other than that I could do med at a postgrad level at another uni but I do REALLY want to study at UNSW so I'm in a bit of a predicament because I don't really want to go back to school if I can help.

ashllis92

HSC
Thanks for all the replies, as some people have mentioned I was stupid to think I was going to do well with such little work ethic and i honestly dont think i didnt see this coming...
As far as studying at UNSW goes, it just seems like a nice uni and I dont really care what my certificate at the end says as long as I'm a well trained doctor which can happen at any uni i guess...
The main reason that I want to repeat is that I'm annoyed at how little I worked this year, next year I'm not going to uni I'll just be taking a gap year and then off to uni so this seemed like a logical way to fill in time, no actually not logical but practical.
I know that next year would be incredibly hard if I repeated but as someone mentioned, it would all just be revision, the other school even does the same english modules so hypothetically i would do better seeing as i already know the majority of the content...

HSC
N/A
how do you think a 95 minimum at school resembles anything close to i don't know, an MD's ability to recognise symptoms or a surgeon's ability to make quick decisions and have steady hands?

Ignoring the squalid state of your sentence (English is not your first language?), what you assert is in fact incorrect, there is a direct correlation, nay, casual relationship, between intellegence (ATAR is one big IQ test) and the ability to make rapid, critical and creative decisions utilizing a finite set of information and resources.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
UNSW is NOT better than any other uni for Med. it's just perceived that way. A better choice would be to do BSc at USyd, sit a GAMSAT, get into USyd Med and finish at the same time as if you repeated then made it into UNSW however 3 credible degrees plus a fuckton of connections. Jetblack2007 is doing this as well (he didn't make combined med). It makes a lot more sense than pussyfooting around with the repeating year 12, as in the end, you're going to finish your med at the same time (UNSW + repeat = 1+6 = 7 years, USyd Sc + Med = 3+4=7 years). In addtion, those 3 Science years make you used to uni and ready to do med, whereas in the 99.8 = average world of UNSW med you might find it a little too cutthroat. Go to USyd, do a BSc, sit your GAMSAT, have a killer GPA, and do postgrad med. After your BSc nobody is going to give a shit that you got 88.

dolbinau

HSC
Do NOT repeat the HSC. God....too risky...getting into a better school will not make your marks necessarily go higher.

What was your UMAT score?

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
thats why they continuously go on strikes?

if you ask me, teaching quality has decreased over the years.
What does teachers going on strike have to do with their ability to teach or the difficulty of the content?

I wouldn't ask you about teaching quality, because you have no idea.

ComingUpForAir said:
ATAR is one big IQ test
lol

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
What does teachers going on strike have to do with their ability to teach or the difficulty of the content?

I wouldn't ask you about teaching quality, because you have no idea.

lol

haha, i have no idea?

well its obvious isnt it, when teachers strike they want a raise or ask for better working conditions, what happens when teachers dont get what they asked for? the answer is simple, they slack off!!!

your pretty blind if you cant see the reality, education system is stuffed up, all teachers want is a raise, as if they arent doing a great freaking job already!!!

are you still in school? if you are your just saying this to keep the teachers pet status hahaha...

wata nerd!!! Honestly, the truth is obvious, but its painful to see isnt it?

and if you ask me, you sound like you dont know shit, because i finished school, and know how the system works, so ask me if i give a shit.

goodluck to you!!!

philphie

Banned
HSC
haha, i have no idea?

well its obvious isnt it, when teachers strike they want a raise or ask for better working conditions, what happens when teachers dont get what they asked for? the answer is simple, they slack off!!!

your pretty blind if you cant see the reality, education system is stuffed up, all teachers want is a raise, as if they arent doing a great freaking job already!!!

are you still in school? if you are your just saying this to keep the teachers pet status hahaha...

wata nerd!!! Honestly, the truth is obvious, but its painful to see isnt it?

and if you ask me, you sound like you dont know shit, because i finished school, and know how the system works, so ask me if i give a shit.

goodluck to you!!!
a bit early for you to be on skyline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)