Should I swap bio for legal? (1 Viewer)

Ethaw

HSC
I am currently doing bio, with a teacher that is, quite frankly, bad. I'm also not enjoying the content although, I might enjoy it more at some point when it gets more into evolution. I am already doing eco & business though so I'm not sure if it's a good idea especially since a lot of my subjects are humanities/essay heavy.

Bio does seem like it may be easier than legal (with the exception of pracs, which I am generally weak at), despite the fact bio scales better. Another catch to legal is that the teacher of legal doesn't really have any control of the class, but they know their stuff unlike bio teacher, who sort of has control of class.

TLDR;

BIO or LEGAL

Legal:
Pros: Better teacher, more interesting to a degree.
Cons: Seems harder? Worse Scaling, already doing lots of humanities subjects, also not that interesting.

Bio:
Pros: Seems easier? Higher scaling, not as humanities based/less essays.
Cons: Teacher :l, Stuff we are doing currently on exosystems & biotic & abiotic features is pretty boring.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe have a look at how previous year cohorts performed in the external HSC exams,i.e % that got a band 6,5,4 etc in the respective subjects..

People find biology gets more 'interesting' (On average,personally I found it got more boring but I'm one of the very small minority)

piethepker

HSC
N/A
Knew it was you the second I saw the thread.

I will answer the question with one word, and you will know what decision to make.

Joe. That is all.

Na I would probably pick legal, the teacher really knows his stuff and the teacher has a major impact in terms of performance in a subject, have a look at the biology syllabus and legal and see if you'll enjoy the stuff (I personally think biology will get better then it is ATM)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would recommend you to do legal instead, no point in staying in a subject where you are not interested in much and know you are going to be weak, and most importantly, having a really bad teacher-better not risk the possibility of having the same teaching when year 12 comes around-having a strong teacher does make quite a bit of difference. Don't be obsessive about doing subjects that scales 'better', particularly when it is between biology and legal, the simple fact is, if you are not going to achieve a certain mark in a subject, scaling effects won't necessarily play to your advantage.

Ethaw

HSC
Basically have been following syllabus and making notes in class as all we have been doing is unrelated pracs and booklets going over every little detail on abiotic factors of an environment which I will likely only need to be able to list. This probably isn't good.
^Also I know about the whole scaling thing, and how its more what you'll do better at ergo why I am doing business and general rather than 2 unit, but yeah pretty much saying i'm almost equally skilled at both subjects.

ekat

HSC
Most definitely change to Legal and I can say this from experience. I did Legal and Biology in Year 11. Wasn't interested in biology in the beginning and gave it a try. I ended up dropping it in Year 12, and I don't regret it at all. Legal may be content heavy, but if your willing to succeed you'll ace it. Your better off doing a subject you enjoy.

HSC
maybe try keeping it a bit longer, generally people consider bio more interesting than legal, also you don't seem that interested in legal anyways. Both teachers seems pretty bad by your description so i'd recommend keeping bio

Feynman

HSC
I would do Bio due to the fact that it's your only science subject. Just do whichever one you think you'd enjoy and do better in, though.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Most subjects you take will have a boring topic that you do not enjoy as much. Personally, taking Physics but I hate doing Electricity-related topics, although, I am looking forward to Space and 'Moving About' topics.

I heard Legal was really content-based and boring, tedious. But if you want to excel in social sciences, you can. Some people enjoy that, I know a boy doing 8Us of social sciences (Legal, Society & Culture, Business and Economics).

Ethaw

HSC
I spoke to the teacher and apparently they are on the different lines, so at different times. Basically I can't switch, so I guess bio it is.

Last edited:

bakstar

HSC
I spoke to the teacher and apparently they are on the same line, so at different times. Basically I can't switch, so I guess bio it is.
If they are on the same line, does that not mean they are at the same time?

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Legal was definitely worth it, it comes down to what you're more interested in. I did Legal for the HSC and I still use some of the things I learnt today, sure I had to write a bit more for my HSC but I was interested in it so I was willing to put in the extra effort. Sometimes having a better teacher and being motivated for that subject can make all the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)