Should marijuana be legalised? (1 Viewer)

Genesys

HSC
spell check said:
that doesnt really make sense

are you saying obesity/weight problems and associated health issues like heart disease don't effect "the whole population"

No, I am not implying that at all. What I said is that you cannot use the analogy of someone tying themselves to a chair to stop themselves eating a piece of cake to argue that drugs such as marajuana should be legalised. What I was saying was that eating a piece of cake or some such thing is different because, you are not endangering the welfare of the rest of society by doing so. I never claimed that obesity does not effect the whole of society.

Essentially I was making the point that laws exist to regulate the use of drugs, including alcohol, because of the way that drug use can effect people's rational judgement. They might make a rational decision to try it the first time, but once they are addicted, and their health is drastically effected, they are no longer excercising rational judgement. The truth is that these drugs make people lose control, and so other means of controlling them have to be put in place.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Genesys said:
Essentially I was making the point that laws exist to regulate the use of drugs, including alcohol, because of the way that drug use can effect people's rational judgement. They might make a rational decision to try it the first time, but once they are addicted, and their health is drastically effected, they are no longer excercising rational judgement. The truth is that these drugs make people lose control, and so other means of controlling them have to be put in place.
It's quite a leap to assume that there is a definite progression from experimentation to addiction (or from use to abuse).

Genesys

HSC
jezzmo said:
Oh and we should get rid of every single drop of alcohol and every single drug, including plant extracts.

Morphine would not have been found if it wasn't for heroine. Just because people abuse drugs, doesn't make them useful. Marajuana has some medicinal properties if used appropriately, even though it too can be abused.

I think everyone should watch that episode of the simpsons where Homer is prescribed medicinal marajuana.....Satire makes us see things clearly.

Genesys

HSC
Generator said:
It's quite a leap to assume that there is a definite progression from experimentation to addiction (or from use to abuse).
Apologies...I never meant to assume any such thing.

EDIT: If an addiction were to develop they would no longer be excercising rational judgement....It is these people that the laws protect

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Genesys said:
Morphine would not have been found if it wasn't for heroine. Just because people abuse drugs, doesn't make them useful. Marajuana has some medicinal properties if used appropriately, even though it too can be abused.

I think everyone should watch that episode of the simpsons where Homer is prescribed medicinal marajuana.....Satire makes us see things clearly.
Umm guess again.

Heroin was derived from Morphine not the other way around.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
absolution* said:
Agreed.

Ive always supported legalisation of a few illegal drugs, hallucinogens and marijuana being two of those. Rest should be regulated.
there was a crime drop recently due to heroin rather than the police :rolleyes: and then cocaine became hip and hmm I forget the rest of the article

HotShot

-_-
HSC
marijuana should be legalised. the government can make loads of money from it, its an economic booster.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Legalise it, yeah, yeah,
Don't criticise it
Legalise it, yeah, yeah,
and I will advertise it
Some of them call it tambi
Some of them call it deh weed
Some call it marijuana
Some of them call it ganja
Every man got to legalise it, yeah, yeah,
Don't criticise it
Legalise it, yeah, yeah,
and I will advertise it
Singers smoke it
And players of instruments too
Legalise it, yeah, yeah
That's the best thing you can do
Doctors smoke it, nurses smoke it
Judges smoke it, even the lawyer to
So you've got to legalise it, yeah, yeah
Don't criticise it
Legalise it, yeah, yeah,
And I will advertise it
Politicians smoke it, and their children too
Policeman smoke it, when them a steal it from you
We've got to legalise it, yeah, yeah
Don't criticise it
Legalise it, yeah, yeah,
And i will advertise it

K

katie_tully

googooloo said:
NO IT SHOULD NOT BE LIGALISED! How can u live life if u smoke all the time and all u see is in ur head thereofe u are nto living beucase the life is not real, it is all in ur head!
Hold on. What?

K

katie_tully

i dont smoke it, therefore i dont care.
decriminalise it, but dont legalise it. it's hard to police anyway, we've all either tried it, know people who have tried it, know people who smoke it regularily....I knew kids in year 10 who used to cultivate their own crops and sell it in the playground.

*Minka*

HSC
googooloo said:
NO IT SHOULD NOT BE LIGALISED! How can u live life if u smoke all the time and all u see is in ur head thereofe u are nto living beucase the life is not real, it is all in ur head!
Sure you don't smoke pot yourself?

davin

HSC
N/A
also dangerous to want to judge someone else's "reality" with a sig that says "And I believe in the kingdom of heaven"....considering many would count that as in your head.

related, on a broader scale, there's debate in Mexico atm as they just tried to legalise drugs there. All of them. No restrictions. Or well, i believe it was technically just decriminalising. Got through their legislature though.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
jezzmo said:
Progressive work! I like it!

Marijuana has just removed a reallly really huge hangover. Thank you again Mr. Herb.

Utilitarianism value : + 1000
lol

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I dont see the difference between tobacco and marijuana.

They're both dried leaves of a plant, used as drugs.
Tobacco is alot easier to become addicted to.

Why shouldnt they both be legal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)