• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should marijuana be legalised? (1 Viewer)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Serius said:
Yes ma'am!

Lets create a little scenario here, the USA decides that they are sick of fighting a war on drugs and so they make them alll legal. Suddenly Mr White who owns a business and does a little coke under his desk every now and again can buy his fix legally. Although coccaine is addictive, this is not that much of a problem because Mr White has a stable income from his proffitable business.

all health risks aside, Mr White is not hurting anyone, and sure he is throwing away alot of money, but he has an income to support this habbit.

Now Mr Black has a 9-5 job at Walmart. He too decides to try crack seen as it is now legal. Mr Black becomes hooked[because crack is one of the most addictive drugs] and he finds himself spending all his pay check and maxing out his credit card to support his addiction. Now Mr Black has to turn to a life of crime and robs peoples houses for the money he needs. Mrs Black turns to prostitution.
wow. you just described exactly what happens now. i thought this was meant to show what would happen once drugs are legalised?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Saw something on discovery channel about it, but its 2 hard to prove because no longitudinal studies have been done. The tax idea is good, but that doesnt address the issue of druggies commiting crimes to support their addiction

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
crazyhomo said:
wow. you just described exactly what happens now. i thought this was meant to show what would happen once drugs are legalised?
The point is it would happen on a much larger scale, people who would not normally be open about it and people who would not use drugs can use it without legal consequences to a large extent

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Serius said:
The point is it would happen on a much larger scale, people who would not normally be open about it and people who would not use drugs can use it without legal consequences to a large extent
do you have any evidence for this? the fact is that when america introduced alcohol prohibition in the 20s there was a huge increase in alcohol related violence and robberies. as soon as this prohibition was abolished the number of these crimes dramatically decreased. so do you actually have any reason for believing that the number of drug users will increase, as wel as an increase in drug related crime?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Serius said:
Saw something on discovery channel about it, but its 2 hard to prove because no longitudinal studies have been done. The tax idea is good, but that doesnt address the issue of druggies commiting crimes to support their addiction
More flow on crime is committed now than would be if they were legalised because it's more expensive to import drugs by the stomach full than by the shipping container.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
true, but if a large tax was placed on the drugs to cover future problems as you suggested, they would still be expensive[thats in general] specifically cannibis isnt really imported cause it can mostly just be grown here, and by crime i dont really mean possesion, growing ,dealing, buying or anything like that

i mean stealing, violence, prostitution all things involved with getting enough money for drugs, which i beleive would go up as incidents of drug use go up

alcohol related violence and robberies is a bit of bullshit, it was 90% crime related to importing or brewing alcohol, ofcourse that problem went away when alcohol was made legal again because there was no need for secrecy. The violent crimes were due to crime syndicate control of the alcohol business, which again became unnesesary when prohibition was lifted.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
for WAF
Findings suggest that heavy marijuana use is associated with deficits in the attentional/executive system, as suggested by reduced verbal fluency, increased perseverative errors on the WCST, and reduced learning
not as conclusive as i would have liked, but its hard to draw conclusions at this stage due to no longitudinal studies being performed.

Its similar to in the 1950's when some people said smoking was bad for you, as they observed long time smokers coughing and wheezing away... now that the research has been done i bet the government wishes it could have outlawed it

Optophobia

HSC
crazyhomo said:
secondly, would you prefer the dealers to be criminals?
If it was legalized, they wouldn't be criminals.

I don't agree with it becoming commercialized for the reasons that Serious points out. It would be detrimental to society because a larger amount of people would become dependant. This isn't about making it ok for everyone to use, its about easing the restrictions on those who are going to use it no matter what laws we have.

More people may die from tobacco.. But compare the class of a tobacco smoker with that of a habitual pot smoker. All pot smokers i have known have been long haired freaks who listen to SlipKnot. This may reflect the people of my generation to an extent, as there are older pot smokers who aren't like this.

I don't think any pot lovers dream of it becoming a socially acceptable drug is ever going to come true, but police resources don't need to be tied up catching small offenders. Just ease the restrictions on those bottom-of-the-barrel dead heads who do use it all the time.

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Serius said:
alcohol related violence and robberies is a bit of bullshit, it was 90% crime related to importing or brewing alcohol, ofcourse that problem went away when alcohol was made legal again because there was no need for secrecy. The violent crimes were due to crime syndicate control of the alcohol business, which again became unnesesary when prohibition was lifted.
so you believe we are currently overwhelmed by violent crimes and robberies that are caused by people's addictions to alcohol and cigarrettes? and that a similar thing will happen once pot and/or other drugs are legalised?

Optophobia

HSC
crazyhomo said:
so you believe we are currently overwhelmed by violent crimes and robberies that are caused by people's addictions to alcohol and cigarrettes? and that a similar thing will happen once pot and/or other drugs are legalised?
You're standing on the premise that Marijuana is just the same as all of them. It isn't, which is why it has been prohibited. Do you seriously believe that this has just been one big misunderstanding, and that the government has it all wrong etc etc etc?

Marijuana and other illicit drugs (yes they can all be classed together) all have major effects on the senses of humans etc, which tobacco doesn't.. and which alcohol only does in large amounts). The issue isn't simply its harm on ones health - possessing methylated spirits isn't an offence, yet some indigenous people are known to drink it. It's about the hysteria that surrounds it.

I doubt there will be a day a man in a business suit walks into his local pot shop and asks for a 1997 penfolds marijuana stick.

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Optophobia said:
You're standing on the premise that Marijuana is just the same as all of them. It isn't, which is why it has been prohibited. Do you seriously believe that this has just been one big misunderstanding, and that the government has it all wrong etc etc etc?

Marijuana and other illicit drugs (yes they can all be classed together) all have major effects on the senses of humans etc, which tobacco doesn't.. and which alcohol only does in large amounts). The issue isn't simply its harm on ones health - possessing methylated spirits isn't an offence, yet some indigenous people are known to drink it. It's about the hysteria that surrounds it.

I doubt there will be a day a man in a business suit walks into his local pot shop and asks for a 1997 penfolds marijuana stick.
you're telling me that alcohol is nowhere near the mind-altering drug that pot is?

Optophobia

HSC
crazyhomo said:
you're telling me that alcohol is nowhere near the mind-altering drug that pot is?
1 man consumes a hash cookie
1 man consumes a can of beer

which will be more fucked?

davin

HSC
N/A
i think it seems like one heck of a stretch to say that marijuana is far worse and makes people do things when there's plenty of crimes commited by people that have been drinking. we just accept the alcohol part because thats been so constant that its 'ok' now.

and someone else may know this, but with optophobia's comparison... whats the average number of hash cookies vs the average number of beers that a given person has?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
1 man consumes a hash cookie
1 man consumes a can of beer

which will be more fucked?
1 man consumes a dose of LSD, 1 man consumes a cigarette, which one will be more fucked? (Cigarette has long term health consequences, LSD is non physically addictive, non poisonous and is metabolised within 30 minutes).

Optophobia

HSC
crazyhomo said:
so that's a yes?
Are you trying to tell me that swallowing a hash cookie has less effects on someone, than having 1 beer?
Xayma said:
1 man consumes a dose of LSD, 1 man consumes a cigarette, which one will be more fucked? (Cigarette has long term health consequences, LSD is non physically addictive, non poisonous and is metabolised within 30 minutes).
This thread is about legalising marijuana, not LSD. And i doubt having 1 cigarette would be as damaging as having LSD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)