Should Muslim Holidays be recognised in Australia? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
It's not always that easy to find another job, especially in the current economic climate (with 5.9% unemployment), and "hating" the country is obviously not the issue here. It is a sad day when people think that dissent stems from a lack of patriotism. Part of loving this country is about making it a better place for everyone, not just the moral majority. It is on this principal that our entire culture is based. ...at least, I hoped it was.

Yes, its a shame, isn't it? When people think belonging to a majority gives them the right to have their culture recognised officially, but refuse to "comprimise" on, and seem almost frightened by the very idea of something as insignificant and harmless to their daily lives as the recognition of religious ceremonies that they are not familiar with.
Really makes you wonder about how far we've really come regarding secularism, multiculturalism, and basic compassion and empathy (regardless of a culture's representation in our society).

(Also wonder how people would treat this differently if the Muslim holidays were half as lucrative as the fat cats' wet dream that is Christmas.)

Oh, and yes.
The middle east really offers all that to non-muslims, ey?

And Christmas rocks.

It is more lucrative the thought of getting gifts and stuffing yourself full of great food. What can muslim holidays offer the average, secular Australian?

Last edited:

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Obviously our government is secular and should remain that way. I am for the abolition of all government endorsed religious holidays. If you are in favor of this Muslim proposition you must therefore be in favor of every single cult having its babble rituals endorsed and recognized by the government; which in this secular country is frowned upon (and rightfully so).

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
The middle east really offers all that to non-muslims, ey?

And Christmas rocks.

It is more lucrative the thought of getting gifts and stuffing yourself full of great food. What can muslim holidays offer the average, secular Australian?
not every country in the middle east is the same as the picture painted in your mind of a middle eastern country.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Bullshit.

I'm only a first generation Australian in my family and when my family came here we accepted whatever public holidays it had, even if these don't reflect our religion. We've made very simple provisions with our employers and schools to take our religious holidays off.

Much more simple to make these provisions then calling a press conference and having a fucking bitch about it. Pretty sure there's also something called the 'Racial and Religious Tolerance Act' in place if your employer/school denies you these holidays.

If you don't like it, piss off and go back to shoveling shit from wherever you came from.

hamide

HSC
i come from a muslim background and i believe that we should get a day off because its not fair that one religion should get to celebrate their religies holidays and ontheirs dont its just plan up fair in any language and in lebanon just to let u know they have offical christion holiday as well as muslim holidays so why the double standers justafy that

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i come from a muslim background and i believe that we should get a day off because its not fair that one religion should get to celebrate their religies holidays and ontheirs dont its just plan up fair in any language and in lebanon just to let u know they have offical christion holiday as well as muslim holidays so why the double standers justafy that
lol.

also: How to write well using plain language and plain english

HSC
N/A
you're an idiot

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
...sorry, what?

baybeejulia

HSC
is it?

can you please explain how this is happening?
Well for one, their thinking of not allowing us to openly celebrate christmas anymore because it's deemed offensive to muslims. And now this, considering to allow Islamic public holidays?
All this media attention on the issue isnt going to help either.
The easy allowing of Islamic immigrants into the country, gee soon enough, there is gunna be more of them than there is of any other race, thus, an Islamic nation is born.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well for one, their thinking of not allowing us to openly celebrate christmas anymore because it's deemed offensive to muslims. And now this, considering to allow Islamic public holidays?
The easy allowing of Islamic immigrants into the country, gee soon enough, there is gunna be more of them than there is of any other race, thus, an Islamic nation is born.
stop studying, you will not be going to uni.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
did the email you got when you joined one nation tell you that?

baybeejulia

HSC
did the email you got when you joined one nation tell you that?
Oh shoosh, im a fucking arab, i receive just as much racial discrimination as the next guy. In my fucking country, muslims are slaughtering us, cutting open pregnant women's stomachs while their still alive. It's personal.
And don't talk to me about religious tolerance, because i am extremely tolerant toward muslims, and any other race, i have many muslim friends, but in the larger scheme of things, they don't treat my people too well.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
First of all, lol.

Second of all, where does it say that muslims dont want christmas to be celebrated openly?
Im not offended by christmas, or public celebrations of christmas, and fyi the birth of Christ is recognised by muslims too.

Australia is NOT becoming an islamic nation, that's the funniest thing i've ever heard.

I agree with you when u said that if they dont like it then they should go back to where they came from, BUT you're kinda going too far here, making claims that i highly doubt can be validated.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
First of all, lol.

Second of all, where does it say that muslims dont want christmas to be celebrated openly?
Im not offended by christmas, or public celebrations of christmas, and fyi the birth of Christ is recognised by muslims too.

Australia is NOT becoming an islamic nation, that's the funniest thing i've ever heard.

I agree with you when u said that if they dont like it then they should go back to where they came from, BUT you're kinda going too far here, making claims that i highly doubt can be validated.
why?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Oh shoosh, im a fucking arab, i receive just as much racial discrimination as the next guy. In my fucking country, muslims are slaughtering us, cutting open pregnant women's stomachs while their still alive. It's personal.
And don't talk to me about religious tolerance, because i am extremely tolerant toward muslims, and any other race, i have many muslim friends, but in the larger scheme of things, they don't treat my people too well.
cos sweeping generalizations of a religious group is super tolerant. nice.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
because it makes sense, lol!

if i dont like something, then i wont use it/eat it/look at it/go near it.

edit: and yea, generalisations are pretty fail. Also there's a big difference between religion and power-hungry governments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)