Should Muslim Holidays be recognised in Australia? (1 Viewer)

luigiforever

HSC
I think muslims should have public holidays, its just given people their rights thats all and its probably only a couple of days whts the big deal, and why are people objecting on such a thing peopel celeberate many things in this world why cant muslims do that too.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I think muslims should have public holidays, its just given people their rights thats all and its probably only a couple of days whts the big deal, and why are people objecting on such a thing peopel celeberate many things in this world why cant muslims do that too.
I think you should read the rest of the thread, you silly person.

Dooga

HSC
screw the muslims

Australia is officially a christian country with a mojority of its inhabitants christian. In countries which are officially muslim people have to abide by there religious laws. muslims get priority over all other people. in some muslim countries if you expose symbols of another religious faith they kill you. They don't get killed here even though Australia's a Christian country. heck they get to openly practice their faith don't see what there complaining about they need to stop being so picky - demanding muslim holiday, demanding the right to pray at work, demanding prayer rooms which are only available to muslims, degrading australian women and demanding they wear bedsheets in summer instead of short shorts etc.

Sprangler

HSC
Australia is officially a christian country with a mojority of its inhabitants christian.

Australia has no official religion, why do you people keep saying this?

a country's majority religion != the official religion.

We are relatively secular.

Last edited:

Jeee

Banned
HSC
screw the muslims

Australia is officially a christian country with a mojority of its inhabitants christian. In countries which are officially muslim people have to abide by there religious laws. muslims get priority over all other people. in some muslim countries if you expose symbols of another religious faith they kill you. They don't get killed here even though Australia's a Christian country. heck they get to openly practice their faith don't see what there complaining about they need to stop being so picky - demanding muslim holiday, demanding the right to pray at work, demanding prayer rooms which are only available to muslims, degrading australian women and demanding they wear bedsheets in summer instead of short shorts etc.
For the ONE MILLIONTH BLOODY TIME...

AUSTRALIA
IS
NOT
A
CHRISTIAN
NATION.

Australia has NO official religion, and is a secular country.

And generally, Australia as a MULTICULTURAL nation has NO tolerance for redneck bogans, gtfo.

Last edited:

Sprangler

HSC
Look at our Olympic theme chant. Tell me that wasn't made up by some drunk footballer as he was bashing an international student on the street.

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
Why recognise holidays for such a small percentage of the population? Sets bad precedence imo. Christian holidays are a tradition and whether you follow them or not its a day off to enjoy. If your holidays aren't recognised officially, just ask for a day off, give your employer a few weeks notice, there will be no qualms. I don't see how this even turned into an argument.

brittanica-

HSC
No Australia is Australia
we arent a muslim nation therefore we shouldnt celebreate muslim holidays. If the muslim population wants to then thats fine but the rest of australia shouldnt have to.
Australia should celebrate Australian holidays.

Brontecat

HSC
This thread is basically split into two sides: equality for all & majority not minority.

Perspective One
As a nation we are predominantly inlfluenced by Christianity - why are other religions seen as less important, with Christianity the only religion to be recognised with public holidays

Parliamentary prayers, the Australian Constitution and the taxation system show inappropriate discrimination in favour of the Christian religion. This has manifested itself in an insidious fashion; affecting the ability of many to critically analyse issues, as evidenced by the readiness of some religious people to adopt an unthinking line against issues such as euthanasia, abortion and gay relationships. Debate and critical analysis, free of the shackles of religious constraint, is necessary if all Australians are to be regarded equally, rather than as part of a society with divisive pro-Christian elements. The Constitution requires a more secular approach because it effectively discriminates against non-Christians. Kevin Rudd's foreshadowing of a referendum on the recognition of Aboriginal people in the Constitution should catalyse a debate on the Constitution's preamble. It is subservient, irrelevant and demeaning that the preamble says we are humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God. It is undignified to humbly rely on anything if, as a nation, we are to forge our own identity and determine our destiny with pride. The words ''Almighty God'' may have some meaning for Christians and religious people, but it is gobbledegook to those who are not. Some may argue that the reference to God should reflect the historical nature of Australia's early white Christian-based society, but this constitutes a denial of Aboriginal belief systems and of the multicultural and largely secular nature of modern Australia. The Christian belief in God does not deserve a place in such a legal, and political, document. While many people choose to follow the Christian religion, it is wrong to include such religious perspectives in a document that belongs to all Australians.

Christian influence still permeates Australian society, and it has affected government through inequities in the legal, political and taxation systems. This will continue to be the case while religious leaders have a hold over their members, maintain the indoctrination of children, and continue to push their religious values on others. An ethical society should not permit religious and political leaders to impose their own religious values on others or hypocritically ask of others that which they would not do themselves. If the pressure of rational debate ensures that these fundamental principles of ethical behaviour are upheld, then we can go some way to improving the lives, and respecting the rights, of all Australians.

David Swanton is a Canberra scientist and ethicist.
Canberra Times Drop parliamentary prayer and adopt secular ways - Opinion - Editorial - General - The Canberra Times

Perspective Two
In a country that is predominantly Christian we should aim to please the masses rather than dealing with beliefs that reflect those of less that 5% of Australia's popluation.

On the other hand there is the Christian Democratic Party which argues:
I use the term "Christian nation" in the same way as Pakistan is described as a Muslim nation. Pakistan has a large number of Christians and Christian churches but it is still a Muslim nation with laws based on the Muslim religion. Although India has a large minority of Christians, it is a Hindu nation and its laws reflect the Hindu religion in its festivals and ceremonies. I am saying that Australia is a Christian nation, not that everyone in Australia is a Christian. As I said, about 70 per cent of Australia's population are Christians, and they belong to various denominations.
Christian Democratic Party Australia A Christian or Secular Nation?

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
This thread is basically split into two sides: equality for all & majority not minority.

Perspective One
As a nation we are predominantly inlfluenced by Christianity - why are other religions seen as less important, with Christianity the only religion to be recognised with public holidays

Canberra Times Drop parliamentary prayer and adopt secular ways - Opinion - Editorial - General - The Canberra Times

Perspective Two
In a country that is predominantly Christian we should aim to please the masses rather than dealing with beliefs that reflect those of less that 5% of Australia's popluation.

Christian Democratic Party Australia � A Christian or Secular Nation?
fail

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
hi strangers =] :wave:

my favourite part of this thread is when an argument is made, then it is made again, and again, and the same argument keeps getting repeated :)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Hey this is the new BoS, where religious xenophobia is allowed to run free, Holocaust denial threads are left un-deleted and persistently and overtly racist members are left un-IP banned. Get used to it.

U.S.A

Banned
HSC
JONO! long time no chat bro. do you think i deserve an IP ban? bro listen, i love you and jews ok bro?

Garygaz

HSC
Hey this is the new BoS, where religious xenophobia is allowed to run free, Holocaust denial threads are left un-deleted and persistently and overtly racist members are left un-IP banned. Get used to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)