Should Religous Schools Be Shut Down? (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Hey i just had a thought, if aliens existed that were sufficiently advanced to be god-like to us, and they said unto us that we ought to behave a certain way (or else) would this be meaningfully distinguishable from God as the source of absolute morality?

It'd still be absolute morality as far as we were concerned (if morality is "what ought one to do?"), and considering that a lot of the Bible God's absolute morals are fairly distasteful (or just flat out evil) from our modern perspective...

ON TOPIC: I still think it'd be best to keep preachers out of schools

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Constructed truths? Would that not just be the opinions of people. How would we establish if they are beneficial for society? Why do we have a legal system? Is murder only wrong in our 'constructed' view of right and wrong. Can I construct my own truth when it suits me?

P.S. I dont do Lewis justice.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Constructed truths? Would that not just be the opinions of people. How would we establish if they are beneficial for society? Why do we have a legal system? Is murder only wrong in our 'constructed' view of right and wrong. Can I construct my own truth when it suits me?
Are you saying we have something else? You can tell me that God exists and there are these moral truths but you can't prove it (no, not even to yourself), all you have is a construction of reality based on your perceptions as you have experienced them. Whether you disagree with me about the nature of ultimate reality i.e. If there's a god/absolute moral truths etc, you're still in the EXACT same situation as I am.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Turkey doesn't allow religious schools.

Or religious headwear in shools, universities or government buildings.

It's kind of refreshing for a 99.8% Muslims country.

bassistx

HSC
Religious texts have existed for what, 2000 years? Some perhaps as long as 5000. So you're telling me that 2000 years ago, it was okay to kill people?
Religion is irrelevant in making laws. Unless it's a Christian/Islamic/Jewish/whatever state, that's when it has any effect.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
bassistx said:
So you're telling me that 2000 years ago, it was okay to kill people?
People killed each-other all the time. The average lifespan was like 40. It was just taken for granted.

Last edited:

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
Goji Berries said:
There are sheltered kids that exist but I think they would even if they went to public school. I don't think causing every child to go to public school will unshelter them. For example, some people of similar cultural backgrounds tend to congregate in certain suburbs (e.g. Muslims in Lakemba, Hillsongers in Baulkham Hills, etc.). If they all went to public schools, we'd probably just have some schools more of one cultural persuasion than others, and be back to the same "problem".
You're right. Part of the point i was trying to make in the first place (but didn't) was that in some cities, some groups simply don't want to join the rest of society (such as the two examples Goji used) and that private religous schools merely encourage this.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
Slidey said:
Turkey doesn't allow religious schools.

Or religious headwear in shools, universities or government buildings.

It's kind of refreshing for a 99.8% Muslims country.
And im not against religous headwear in schools etc. I don't think it does any harm to anyone and it's just another exposure to another facet of a different culture - a good thing.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hmm. Shutting them down would be difficult and counter productive. Religion should be taught if people want, but not in schools as it seems to create problems.

bassistx

HSC
Slidey said:
People killed each-other all the time. The average lifespan was like 40. It was just taken for granted.
Any kind of law, religious or not, cannot change the fact that people still kill each other all time time.
You can't say an activity will cease because somebody or something said to stop.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Enteebee said:
Are you saying we have something else? You can tell me that God exists and there are these moral truths but you can't prove it (no, not even to yourself), all you have is a construction of reality based on your perceptions as you have experienced them. Whether you disagree with me about the nature of ultimate reality i.e. If there's a god/absolute moral truths etc, you're still in the EXACT same situation as I am.
Yes, I'm saying we have an external source of morality (i.e. God) which defines how we think of right and wrong. Without this, you can not plausibly state that murder is wrong. Because if truth is relative then if someone thinks that murder is right, you have no way of defending your beleif that murder is wrong.

For Proof:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Id2Ik4whVr8

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yes, I'm saying we have an external source of morality (i.e. God) which defines how we think of right and wrong. Without this, you can not plausibly state that murder is wrong. Because if truth is relative then if someone thinks that murder is right, you have no way of defending your beleif that murder is wrong.
I'm saying that even if there is an 'external source of morality' that defines what IS right and wrong, we cannot know it because we are mortal, infaliable creatures (as evidence I'd just show that every theist disagrees what God's command is).

seano77

Walk On
HSC
It is not just derived from God's commands. We have conscience's too. A sufficient consensus does not suffice for establishing right and wrong. If truth is not absolute, who should a group of peoples shared view on morality have any bearing on my action? What happens when we travel to different parts of the world and they have a different consensus? And, by the way, it is not working very effectively at all in a secular society.

As Aldous Huxley said:
"I wanted to believe the Darwinian idea. I chose to believe it not because I think that there was enormous evidence for it, nor because I believed it had the full authority to give interpretation to my origins. I chose to believe it because it delivered me from trying to find meaning and freed me to my own erotic passions."

I think its the same for morality and truth. We want it to be relative so we have no accountability.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It is not just derived from God's commands. We have conscience's too.
Yea I know... you have words in a book and you have what I have, essentially that's nothing near having 'absolute moral truth' and again I offer up the differing accounts of what absolute moral truth is from so many believers like you as proof that it's full of shit.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
seano77 said:

For Proof:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Id2Ik4whVr8
Ravi Zacharias is a brilliant speaker but I don't think you should elevate his oratory to the status of proof. Here are some problems with what he is saying:

(1) On the argument from evil: His rebuttal is terrible. Given his graduate training Zacharias should show more awareness of the logical structure of a proof by contradiction. All one needs to do in order to wield the argument is assume a certain definition of evil provided by the church (or similar), not vindicate nor prove it. The problem for most religions is that evil as defined by them is present in the world. The argument from evil simply suggests that it seems to be within god's power (and desire), should they exist, to eliminate such evil. There are certainly ways out of this dillemma, but Zacharias' "solution" is not one of them.

(2) "If you have a moral law, then you need a law giver". This is pure equivocation on some readings. The problem is that the rhetoric we use when describing our legal systems has made it into scientific and moral discourse. Certainly, in the context of a society you cannot have a law without a law giver. But to then assert that we must have a giver of moral laws is to missappropriate the analogy. Undoubtedly theistic literature will often use "moral law" in the sense that a law maker exists, but it is often the case that when people refer to 'moral law' they are really talking about 'objective moral facts'.

Once we start talking about facts we needn't do so with recourse to a 'fact maker'. Why is it true (/a fact/ the case) that there is a pen on my desk? Simply because a set of circumstances obtain which involve a pen existing on the desk in question. Nothing more, nothing less (in my opinion). Many have suggested that moral claims regarding good and evil may be made true in virtue of similar 'moral facts' which may derive from logic, reason and empirical facts. Of course, I am a relativist and so do not agree with these claims (I am one of those who would deny the truth, though not the usefulness, of morality all together).

(3) The trouble with law makers: An important question arises if one asserts that the only plausible basis for morality is divine command. The question is this - is it possible that god could have chosen a different moral law? If it is possible then you are left with a form of moral relativism because moral truth is relative to god's (possibly different) command. If it is not possible then we have a further question - why is it that it was only possible for god to dictate a certain conception of morality? In order to answer this question it seems to me that you need some fact, or set of facts, which explain why it was necessary for god to pick a certain conception of morality. Moral law is then explained not by god's command, but by this further set of facts which explains the necessity of god's command. Thus it seems that the moral facts are what is important, not the law maker as such.

Last edited:

RemoO

HSC
no they shuldnt be shout down everyone has their own choice to believe what they want, you cant tell people what they can and cannot believe and do which comes with its scenarios e.g. some parents from diff. religions might take this more serious then others and may prefer the kids not going to a school at all therefore alot of drop outs and economic issues so on ...

secondly people who have an issue with religious school its as simple as not sending your children there

and 3rd of all about this whole God thing, there's many ways looking at it e.g.
1 person can say can u see God no therefore he doesnt exist and you can have another person who believes in God and reply do you see your mind therefore your crazy.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
RemoO said:
no they shuldnt be shout down everyone has their own choice to believe what they want, you cant tell people what they can and cannot believe and do which comes with its scenarios
Oh I dunno. Something tells me that more than a few people out there would have a problem with a muslim school being built in their neighbourhood though.

Would you have a problem living near a muslim school? Out of curiousity? After all, as a child of migrant parents, all I hear is "assimilate this" and "embrace that".

It's not really about what they can or can't do. You can still uphold religious values within a public school. It is more about segregation and shelteredness.

Having said this, I just want you to know that I see this thread is entirely conceptual. Shutting down religious schools is very unrealistic.

chaldoking

HSC
Firstly, Religious schools whether they be Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist or whatever type, have every right to operate within society. This is because they allow people of that Religious denomination to become more in tact with their faith and allow them to grow as whole person. Thats not to say Mulsims cant come to Catholic schools or vice versa. I can tell you now Religious schools are just as diverse as an public school. Thus, we grow and learn to appreciate our brothers and sisters from other religious denominations.

The common atheist would argue against having religious schools because they obviously don't believe in a divine being greater than us, they tend to be more "I havn't seen God meaning I won't believe in Him" - which is absolutley stupid because that wipes out the whole meaning of Faith. Do I necessarily hate atheists - no I dont but what I do hate is when they attack religion. If you don't believe in God - don't attack God and put down other members in society.

Next, education in my opinion is much greater at Religious schools because teachers tend to be more experienced, resources more great and the classroom is more lively. This means that Religious schools are very social and interesting to be at.

Finally, if one says to close down Relgious schools I put just as much as an argument to close down Public schools - see the stupidity in this thread. Just cause someone is not religiously inclined doesn't mean we close the system to suit your needs.

I am proud of going to a Religious school as it affirms my beliefs, makes me a better person in the eithics and values taught and it allows me to grow as a whole person. Thus, the education is great, the teachers are great and the students are great!

chaldoking

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Religions are definitely overrepresented in educational institutions.

Take USyd for example. At O-week you will have noticed how organised and numerous the religious societies are compared to the lone newly established secular society (ok shameless plug). Then you have world youth day and other ridiculous attempts by the church to brainwash impressionable young souls.

The sheer number of private religious educational institutions is no coincidence. Religion is not just about belief in god but more significantly deploys the weapons of coercion through the individual's need for community and common identity.

Sorry about the incoherence I'm quite sleep deprived atm.
This makes me laugh...
Quote: "Then you have world youth day and other ridiculous attempts by the church to brainwash impressionable young souls. "
Firstly, World Youth Day is not a ridiculous attempt by the Church to brainwash impressionable young souls. It is an event organised by The Church which is optional to attend that allows people that are Catholic to gather together as a global community and worship. Obviously if you are not religious you will find it as being a "ridiculous attempt". It does not brainwash, because it just allows Catholics to explore their faith in a deeper more spiritual way... It is not like they come to you and persuade you to turn to being Catholic, what it does is it allows you to understand concepts in your Religion more deeply and to form a strong spiritual connection with God. The problem with this thread and comments in it is that it is all stereotyped. Show me proof that the people that go to World Youth Day are "impressionable young souls"... This just shows the lack of evidence in your case and I am living proof of that statement being totally absurd and wrong. Thus, choice is something that is God-given and Free-will or else we will be robots... Everyone has the choice to go to this event or not to go... And by the way people that go to these events are willing to strengthen their faith so they go their to learn more about the beauty of having a religion as a spiritual mentor.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)