So far? (1 Viewer)

What is your impression of uni this year?

• Shit.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I don't turn up, so I don't know.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I tolerate it.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I think it's good.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I'm having the time of my life.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
HSC
Good bits so far:

I like the noise in the library, it's made it much easier to find a desk to sleep at (because the noise has scared off so many people I suppose). I'd sleep through just about anything, so I don't mind it too much at all, and when I'm in there working rather than sleeping, I don't find it to be too much of a distraction.

I like the parking, it doesn't affect me because I don't drive, but it makes me feel better about the amount of time I spend on public transport.

Less than ideal:

The usual complaints, lack of English in my classes, the work seems to be dumbed down moreso than ever (perhaps to cater for the lack of English). It looks like attending a lot of my classes will once again be a waste of time.

I'm also finding that actually being *at* uni is more depressing than ever, I just want to cry every time some newcomer decides to speak to me, bouncing off the walls about how they want to do their PHD and all that shit. All the random people wanting to be friends, chatting about how they're doing their masters in stilted english, majoring in making fuck all sense, whatever. Also, I wish people would stop coming up to me and telling me how good all the girls at uni look, I don't care, put it away, your tongue hanging out your head is already testament to the fact that you're impressed and lacking in subtlety.

So yeah, aside from some of the work and most of the people, I don't mind it at all so far.

Edit: I went with "I tolerate it", but don't let that fool you, it IS shit.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Atticus. said:
i like the parking co-ordinators solution to you lauren
"get a bike"
speaks volumes about how much UOW cares
Ah UOW. Their commitment to service to their students is five-star, isn't it? Though if parking is a problem for you, perhaps you'll just need to wait it out until first years stop turning up. Until then don't trust the sign. There's no possible way it can fully know unless there's been a complete overhaul since last year of how parking is done, and really it's the same system. Go in, park, pick up a pay and display ticket, show it, go to the bar for several hours (or class), then get in your car and go.

That is a pretty shitty solution. I also don't like the take public transport solution. I take public transport, and there are only so many people I will talk to on the bus. The more people who catch the bus, the more I get told about how awesome Jesus is and how I should join the ECU, or how I should stop "listening to that crappy devil music." Also, if more people catch the bus, the ride takes longer and I have to catch an earlier bus to be there on time. So the current bus numbers are fine (for now).

ogmzergrush said:
I'm also finding that actually being *at* uni is more depressing than ever, I just want to cry every time some newcomer decides to speak to me, bouncing off the walls about how they want to do their PHD and all that shit. All the random people wanting to be friends, chatting about how they're doing their masters in stilted english, majoring in making fuck all sense, whatever. Also, I wish people would stop coming up to me and telling me how good all the girls at uni look, I don't care, put it away, your tongue hanging out your head is already testament to the fact that you're impressed and lacking in subtlety.
I find that happens to me when I go for the bus. Somebody who knows be but I have fuck all clue who they are. I just want to go home but they're convinced to have a conversation with me. I then miss my bus and become cranky (well, moreso).

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
poloktim said:
Ah UOW. Their commitment to service to their students is five-star, isn't it? Though if parking is a problem for you, perhaps you'll just need to wait it out until first years stop turning up. Until then don't trust the sign. There's no possible way it can fully know unless there's been a complete overhaul since last year of how parking is done, and really it's the same system. Go in, park, pick up a pay and display ticket, show it, go to the bar for several hours (or class), then get in your car and go.

That is a pretty shitty solution. I also don't like the take public transport solution. I take public transport, and there are only so many people I will talk to on the bus. The more people who catch the bus, the more I get told about how awesome Jesus is and how I should join the ECU, or how I should stop "listening to that crappy devil music." Also, if more people catch the bus, the ride takes longer and I have to catch an earlier bus to be there on time. So the current bus numbers are fine (for now).

I find that happens to me when I go for the bus. Somebody who knows be but I have fuck all clue who they are. I just want to go home but they're convinced to have a conversation with me. I then miss my bus and become cranky (well, moreso).
its much easier to say "go in, park and pick up a ticket" when in actual fact:

a) they have had parking officers stand at the entrance of the carparks to send cars away before even entering.

b) its pretty much impossible to find a park later than 9:20 in the morning.

honestly, the problem was not this bad last year.
and the new sign at the front of the western carpark is a joke. the other morning it said there were 3 spaces left, when there wouldve been at least 25. im not sure how it monitors availibility of spaces. maybe through a sensor?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i dont think there is a sensor?
how could that possibly work....

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
yeh but the western doesnt have a ticket grab thing before you go in. AND a run over sensor would be too innacurate with people doing laps.... though that would explain it saying there were only 3 parks when infact there were 25ish

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
yeah thats what i mean..
like its obviously inaccurate, i just assumed it was run by sensor

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
got stuck with international students for an assessment cos i skipped the 1st tutorial.. oh well

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
They've actually reduced the number of carpark spots this year, official reason is that staff have easier access to spots.... I DON'T SEE STAFF PAYING FUCKING FEES.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Ninga said:
Staff pay $200 a year for their staff permits. Reserved spots are like $600.
I pay close to $10,000 a year (and then close to $300 for parking) and I only need a spot 12 hours a week.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, nothing was as great as when these two events occured simultaneously:

1) UOW announced it was increasing the number of red permits giving students more premium permit parking spaces.
2) UOW reduces the amount of other cheaper (blue) parking permits by the same amount.

UOW, you can't just change the colour of the permit needed for a certain carpark space, effectively making it more expensive (aka revenue raising) for the same product while claiming 'wow, look, we've increased the amount of available premium permits for parking!'

fuckers.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
sando said:
got stuck with international students for an assessment cos i skipped the 1st tutorial.. oh well
By skipping every single one of my tutes in week 2, I have somehow managed to get the most awesome topics for presentation. And everyone hates me :D

And just lol@unibar queues. I lol. so much. First years are so dumb :D

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I have never in my life seen a parking situation so bad. I am probably one of the lucky ones because my times mean iam not there during peak hour parking. Even then,when i rock up theres probably 1 free parking spot in all the lots put together. I guess iam lucky cause ive only been 20mins late to one lecture, usually i snag a spot as someone reverses out infront of me.

A couple of times i got really fucking pissed off, and just parked into a garden in the western lol. Often i park in spots that arent real spots, like next to cars [but now they have like this no parking paint on the ground and iam worried they might fine me if i do it]. Those dodgy spots are good cause 1st years arent smart enough to take em, they just circle the lot looking for a real space like suckers lol.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i know that cars have been fined for creating another spot and parking at the end of rows (robson road end) in the western carpark

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Anyone know why people are spending the entire day sitting next the the western entrance?

Ninga

HSC
Probably getting paid to count cars going in and the number of people in them. I did that once a few years ago at the front entrance. Another time we got to count cars in the streets around the uni, my mate and me ended up getting in a car and driving and counting... we ended up spending 3.5 out of the allotted 4hrs in the bar.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, it's students counting cars both for UOW 'parking info' and also for marketing data which they can sell to companies regarding car colours, brands etc. You expect UOW not to try make a buck out of everything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)