So how smart are selective school students nowadays? (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
I would definitely suggest trying to get in to the selective school.

I'm from one and there is countless advantages to them.
Much easier to push yourself and motivate yourself when everyone around you is doing the same. People think that selective schools are highly competitive and people are selfish but everyone has friends who want them to do well. Sure the whole school might not help you but as long as you have a group of friends who help you thats all you need

1981Grant

HSC
Much easier to push yourself and motivate yourself when everyone around you is doing the same. People think that selective schools are highly competitive and people are selfish but everyone has friends who want them to do well. Sure the whole school might not help you but as long as you have a group of friends who help you thats all you need
This.
The focused environment is the most important benefit, by far. Don't believe stereotypes about selective schools as well, the kids are still just normal kids.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't believe entirely the work ethic stuff - all I do is listen in class and read over random things on the train. I still do quite good.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it's the be it or end all.

It is still possible to get good results. Too many people are fixated with selectives. Yes, not so many people get the top results BUT there is evidently the opportunity to do so as some people do. Last year, there were 20 kids with ATARs above 90 at my comprehensive. 3 of those were above 98.

animeiswild

HSC
You can't exactly 'compare' the report of a non-selective school student's report to a selective school student's report. For example, an A at your school may be a B or even a C at say Fort Street as some selective schools have higher expectations and thus exams and marking may be harsher. But really, making it into a selective school really isn't as difficult as many think.

animeiswild

HSC
It doesn't matter how smart they are. It matters who surrounds you at the school. Being in a selective school, you are constantly surrounded by people around your intelligence and you would have no problems/worries upon relying on them. Also, the better teachers tend to work in selective schools instead, and hence, you are under the influence of those who will push you to get you the marks.
Bull.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I go to Girra and there's a really broad range of people. In my grade it ranges from the white guys that are naturally intelligent but do no study and spend their time drinking and smoking weed to the people that aren't that smart but spend all their time studying/getting tutored and end up getting fairly good results because they rote learn everything. Then there's the well rounded people in between that are smart and study - these people do really well.

In general selective schools do fairly well - If you look at the school rankings this year most of the top schools were selective. If you've got the opportunity to attend one, I'd recommend taking it. You're in a competitive environment, which pushes you to do better, but (at my school anyway) everyone's fairly friendly and supportive as well.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I go to Girra and there's a really broad range of people. In my grade it ranges from the white guys that are naturally intelligent but do no study and spend their time drinking and smoking weed to the people that aren't that smart but spend all their time studying/getting tutored and end up getting fairly good results because they rote learn everything. Then there's the well rounded people in between that are smart and study - these people do really well.

In general selective schools do fairly well - If you look at the school rankings this year most of the top schools were selective. If you've got the opportunity to attend one, I'd recommend taking it. You're in a competitive environment, which pushes you to do better, but (at my school anyway) everyone's fairly friendly and supportive as well.
Really?

wildchild666

HSC
I know people at Sydney Boys who smoke weed. As michaeljennings said, it is common.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I love how this thread (originally about smart people and selective schools) just derailed and the conversation turned to weed.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Guys weed's everywhere, it wont hurt you in any way that will cause problems. Unless you do it yourself. But being around others who do it wont do anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)