So I ran out of time... (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just thought of this, I had an in-class essay, for which I ran out of time for about three weeks ago - it's been weighing on my mind and decided to ask someone right now instead of living in agony...

I was onto my sixth page and in the middle of my conclusion, when time ran up. Will my marks be negatively affected?

Most other people couldn't finish five, I heard one person did two pages in total - where I was only one of two to get into a second booklet.

Question is: If I ran out of time, will my marks be negatively affected?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Just thought of this, I had an in-class essay, for which I ran out of time for about three weeks ago - it's been weighing on my mind and decided to ask someone right now instead of living in agony...

I was onto my sixth page and in the middle of my conclusion, when time ran up. Will my marks be negatively affected?

Most other people couldn't finish five, I heard one person did two pages in total - where I was only one of two to get into a second booklet.

Question is: If I ran out of time, will my marks be negatively affected?
Not necessarily negatively affected, since most essays are positively marked (meaning that you gain marks, but you don't directly loose marks).

It depends on your teacher though.

Some teachers see an unfinished essay as worthy of low marks, while most other teachers take into account your performance in relation to the rest of the class (e.g. whether your unfinished essay was generally better than most of the finished essays).

Even thought quantity (pages) isn't indicative of quality, it seems you probably put in more content and effort into your essay compared to the class mates that you discussed this issue with.

So if you performed well with the parts of the essay you did manage to write, your marks won't be too negatively affected - and it's likely that you still might be awarded high marks compared to the rest of your class.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, my teacher is cool - he probably won't go all "OMG WTF" over me not finishing - especially when some people didn't even finish 5 pages in a 45 minute time period...

gesh17

HSC
N/A
My teacher (HSC marker) told me that by the time you get to your conclusion your mark has been well and truly decided. You might lose 1 mark just because you didn't have completeness, etc.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My teacher (HSC marker) told me that by the time you get to your conclusion your mark has been well and truly decided. You might lose 1 mark just because you didn't have completeness, etc.
I would agree totally with this - no conclusion is going to markedly change the mark given. In the HSC year a teacher might deduct a couple of marks due to encouraging you to work on your timing but not sufficiently to affect your final rank. A good feedback would even go so far as to indicate what could have been left out or written in a more concise manner to allow you to finish in time.

kcrocks

HSC
It really is quality over quantity. I think it's better to answer what the question is asking you, rather than to just unload all the information that you know of. Don't stress too much about your conclusion, you won't lose a considerable amount of marks (if any).

imnotwallace

HSC
I remember hearing a teacher showing off her best student's legal essay.

Teacher: *brings out massive pile of pages stapled together* "Now, here's an essay i gave a 25/25 for." *flips 6 pages* "I would probably have already given full marks around here" *continues flipping several more pages*

Class: o.o

Definitely quality over quantity but you still need enough quantity for the essay to be markable. Conclusions evidently don't matter that much.

youandmexo

HSC
i ran out of time in my hsc. i only did like half of one of my essays and badly rushed another one. i still got 88 :) dont stress!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)