So, I'm a foreigner and... (1 Viewer)

MsParadox

HSC
I need some tips for essays and assessment tasks. Seriously, I don't want to be screwed. Any tip would be totally nice. Thanks!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Don't use words you don't know the meaning of unless you are really confident

Wingiam

HSC
Essays and assignments....you should think about seeing your English teachers about these essays as they can give you heaps of related texts and can help deconstruct the texts that you are studying, if we are talking about English essays that is....For assessment tasks you should concentrate on finishing them early, and early enough so that you will be able to go over them and find friends who you can compare with and help each other out, but don't plagiarize..eheh. One last tip is to use your teachers and keep asking them to give you more work and to mark the work for you, especially past papers and homework that they didn't ask to be checked as you can use it later. Even though I haven't used some of these methods myself yet (although have started to...) you should definitely use them if you want to get the best in your grade. take initiative as the teachers will not be looking for you and chasing up work you haven't done because they want you to chase them up. haha, the tables have turned! Hope this helped kid!

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I'm a foreigner too. I think everyone who isn't aboriginal is a foreigner too. Did you mean international student or?

MsParadox

HSC
I don't think that's necessarily my problem. My problem would be repetition of words, that makes the whole essay thing harder than it should be.

MsParadox

HSC
Essays and assignments....you should think about seeing your English teachers about these essays as they can give you heaps of related texts and can help deconstruct the texts that you are studying, if we are talking about English essays that is....For assessment tasks you should concentrate on finishing them early, and early enough so that you will be able to go over them and find friends who you can compare with and help each other out, but don't plagiarize..eheh. One last tip is to use your teachers and keep asking them to give you more work and to mark the work for you, especially past papers and homework that they didn't ask to be checked as you can use it later. Even though I haven't used some of these methods myself yet (although have started to...) you should definitely use them if you want to get the best in your grade. take initiative as the teachers will not be looking for you and chasing up work you haven't done because they want you to chase them up. haha, the tables have turned! Hope this helped kid!
That definitely helped. I am lucky to have supportive teachers, because really, it's not something that I cannot do it, but it's a little tricky, heh. Thanks!

MsParadox

HSC
Also, my subjects are Standard English, Modern History, Society and Culture, Business Studies, Visual Arts and Retail Services. Not that my subjects matters that much, but whatever.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Also, my subjects are Standard English, Modern History, Society and Culture, Business Studies, Visual Arts and Retail Services. Not that my subjects matters that much, but whatever.
Apparently not international enough to do ESL, rip.

riphsc

HSC
One of the best things (in my opinion) you can do for English is to keep on writing. Practice it heaps and bother your teachers for feedback until they get sick of seeing you around LOL

Another thing is to know the command terms. By this I mean words like assess, examine, explain, describe, etc. Knowing what each of these terms require you to do will help you to answer the question.

For Modern History, you could practice source analysis but depending on your school it may not be that important until your HSC year :)

Good luck!

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
sometimes I use big words that I dont know to show my intellectual ability...do u photosynthesis me bro?
Depends how some teachers mark really. I know the teacher who teaches top class at my school prefers students to use high modality words that don't really make sense than to use low modality words that are clear and concise. Each their own I guess.

MsParadox

HSC
Apparently not international enough to do ESL, rip.
I'm doing ESL. It's just not separate from my subjects. By the way, it's Standard English too much for an International Student? Because, actually, I was going to choose Advanced English, but I thought that it would be too much for me.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I'm doing ESL. It's just not separate from my subjects. By the way, it's Standard English too much for an International Student? Because, actually, I was going to choose Advanced English, but I thought that it would be too much for me.
No way, if you enjoy the texts and like Standard, keep it. But I hear that ESL scales slightly better than Standard?

MsParadox

HSC
One of the best things (in my opinion) you can do for English is to keep on writing. Practice it heaps and bother your teachers for feedback until they get sick of seeing you around LOL

Another thing is to know the command terms. By this I mean words like assess, examine, explain, describe, etc. Knowing what each of these terms require you to do will help you to answer the question.

For Modern History, you could practice source analysis but depending on your school it may not be that important until your HSC year :)

Good luck!
I've done this! My Modern History teacher said that my first body paragraph were excellent (I just need to link it to my topic sentence.) and my Standard English also said something good about my "Essay". Oh, ok, I've already read those words somewhere. Yeah, I don't know if it will be important now, because I'm still on Year 11. Thank you!

AppleTea

HSC
Doesn't ESL scale better?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For ATAR wise you'd probably be better doing ESL or Advanced due to aligning reasons.

If you are eligible for ESL it is probably better to do it, unless your university has certain prerequisites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)