• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
jim_green said:
Great signings by Rafa, I'm pretty confident now we'll give Man U a shake for 3rd. I'd be even more confident if Colocinni (spelling) is our last signing, it's a possibility since Madrid have signed Woodgate.

Speaking of Madrid...

Casillas

Salgado Woodgate Samuel Carlos

Figo Beckham Helguera Zidane

Ronaldo Raul

Was thinking Milan would be the team to beat again this year, but with a solid CB pairing like that, it'd take a lot to overcome them.
this is a team with a considerable English influence, though. History has shown that Anglo-saxons dont do particularly well abroad.. the same with Spaniards in Italy and vice versa. The teams which have taken chances by signing multitudes of foreigners of the same background (Liverpool --> Spanish, Valencia --> Italians, Real --> Englanders) i think will experience some adaptation problems. When buying a large contingent of internationals, the best to go for are Brasilians. Except for Rocky Jonur, they barely dissapoint, and adapt well no matter which continent or no matter how many are in the team (Ailton - Werder, Borussia - Amoroso, Ewerton, Evanilson, Dede, Milan - Dida, Serginho, Cafu, Kaka, Arsenal - Edu, Gilberto, and now Barcelona - Ronaldinho, Belletti, Sylvinho, Edmilson, Motta, Deco..)..

so, Real may look good on paper.. but theres always gonna be those issues in the changing rooms and the language barriers/age issues (Figo, Zidane, Carlos..) but for Milan, they've had 2-3 years to get used to each other.. and if they cant handle it, they go and find a new club (Rivaldo, Rocky, Laursen) and that keeps morale up (when everyone is happy) and thats why imo Milan are a stronger collezione..

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
reynaldo said:
this is a team with a considerable English influence, though. History has shown that Anglo-saxons dont do particularly well abroad.. the same with Spaniards in Italy and vice versa. The teams which have taken chances by signing multitudes of foreigners of the same background (Liverpool --> Spanish, Valencia --> Italians, Real --> Englanders) i think will experience some adaptation problems. When buying a large contingent of internationals, the best to go for are Brasilians. Except for Rocky Jonur, they barely dissapoint, and adapt well no matter which continent or no matter how many are in the team (Ailton - Werder, Borussia - Amoroso, Ewerton, Evanilson, Dede, Milan - Dida, Serginho, Cafu, Kaka, Arsenal - Edu, Gilberto, and now Barcelona - Ronaldinho, Belletti, Sylvinho, Edmilson, Motta, Deco..)..

so, Real may look good on paper.. but theres always gonna be those issues in the changing rooms and the language barriers/age issues (Figo, Zidane, Carlos..) but for Milan, they've had 2-3 years to get used to each other.. and if they cant handle it, they go and find a new club (Rivaldo, Rocky, Laursen) and that keeps morale up (when everyone is happy) and thats why imo Milan are a stronger collezione..
Considerable Anglo-Saxon influence? 2 players? Firstly I don't think the Anglo-Saxon influence applies as much with defenders, so unless Woodgate gets injured again, he'll be a safe choice. Beckham has lost a lot of his gloss over the European summer, so if he fails to perform, there'll be Guti to step in. And Owen? He'll be enjoying the nice heated Bernabeu reserves bench, I hear it's real comfortable :p

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
jim_green said:
Considerable Anglo-Saxon influence? 2 players? Firstly I don't think the Anglo-Saxon influence applies as much with defenders, so unless Woodgate gets injured again, he'll be a safe choice. Beckham has lost a lot of his gloss over the European summer, so if he fails to perform, there'll be Guti to step in. And Owen? He'll be enjoying the nice heated Bernabeu reserves bench, I hear it's real comfortable :p

I really dont know why Owen went to Madrid. Is he dumb, they have Ronaldo - their top scorer, Raul - who they will never play as a bench player, and Morientes - back from dazzling form for Monaco. He was always gonna start as a bench player there. He should have stayed at Liverpool.

As for Real being the best side, i doubt that. Woodgate isnt really that good of a player, he sucked as Newcastle. Milan will be the best i think. They have played together for a long time and where unlucky to be knocked out be Deportivo last year. Arsenal may also be a threat this season, if they can perform consistently in European competition.

HSC
Nobody rates Inter at all as contendors not only in Seria A but in Europe (whether it be Uefa Cup or Champions League which has yet to be decided) ?

I know that Inter have underperformed for about 10 years now, and the only thing we have won lately was the UEFA Cup in '98 but we have a new coach (Mancini), great new signings (Veron, Burdisso, Davids, Favalli) and I think that we can push for a top 2 finish in the league at worst.

Inter Milan - Scudetto Champions Season 2004/5. Nice ring to it, dont you think? :p

^___^
HSC
hotshot - i'm an inter fan too (stfu reyaldo) :p

but i still dun see them as a contender in any comp yet :(

mainly cos they have far too many players, this unsettles the core, like i mean, for the central midfield position, u have players like veron, c.zanetti, emre, davids fighting it out..up front u got to worry about adranio working with vieri with martin and recoba on the bench!!!

the back is also a problem, i just dun see we are as steady as AC last season( - Stam)

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
lol. Veron. good player!!!! Hahahahaha. He sucks now. Before he went to Man Utd he was good, but he is crap now. Barely played for Man Utd and Chelsea in the last two seasons. I doubt he can compete for a position with Davids, Emre and Zanetti fit. I say Inter need to sack half the team, and start new.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I think Inter has a chance of automatic qualification for the UCL simply because Juve and Roma both seem to have been rather lethargic of late. Milan will take the Scudetto though :)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Saturday 11th September

ESPN :

1.55am Live: Italian Serie A Football Matchday #1
Soccer. The Italians' devotion to the sport makes for intense matches. Features the great clubs such as Milan, Roma and Juventus through select live and delayed coverage.

4.25am Live: Spanish Primera Division
Soccer.

FOX SPORTS:

9.40pm Live: English Premier League Aston Villa v Chelsea
Soccer.

12.00am Live: English Premier League TBA v TBA
Soccer.

2.10am Live: English Premier League Portsmouth v Crystal Palace
Soccer.

FOX SPORTS 2:

7.00pm Live: 2004 ICC Championship Trophy

Holy shit, what am I gonna watch that night!!! If it's gonna be like this all season then I'm a happy camper.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Inter will be better than last season.. but they still wont win anything :)

i call it the "Curso d'Moratti" .. i dont think that makes sense in real Italian but in the new language i invented called "Italglish" it means "The Curse of Moratti"..

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
rofl ... thats some funny shit ...
sucked in!!!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
hhahahahaha lmfao.... why dun they show the 2 liverpool players as well? i mean they named rooney straight away....

he was signing autographs in the waiting room hahahaha

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
I wouldnt be surprised if the unnamed Liverpool player was El-Hadji Diouf, after all, his goal tally amounted to zero last season so i suspect the only place he could score would be in a brothel! ;)

T

timbk2

"and a 48-year-old grandmother, known as the Auld Slapper, who wore a rubber cat suit when they had sex."

Thats just WRONG.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
At first I was thinking: "Why would a household name like Rooney need 48 year old hookers to get laid? Surely there would be legions of girls willing to do his bidding" Then I realised that he first started going to this joint 2 years ago.. that's when he was 15/16, when he hadn't gained the notoriety he has now. A couple of England based 'Pool acquaintances say that the guy's Neil Mellor, because apparently from some other paper, the other guy said to one of the prostitutes "Do you know how many goals I scored for Liverpool reserves last season?". Obviously wouldn't be a regular first teamer.. all is well :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i dunno bout Henry being a one-man team, but in fantasypremierleague he's making sure i have half a team. dodgy bolton!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
FAaaark no highlights today on ANY CHANNEL

FAAAAAAAAARK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)