• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

LAMBERS16

HSC
Black.Magic said:
Comrades, in case you don't know what I mean, a soft subject is one that is very easy compared to other, 'hard subjects'. (e.g. any extension course, sciences excluding biology, etc...)

People choose them, despite their woeful scaling, thinking they can ace them so it doesn't matter. But it does. You lose your man/womanhood. You do your country a dishonour by reinforcing the stereotype that this is a land of slack anti-intellectual drinkers.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some people who genuinely deserve to do soft subjects. For example, if English isn't your first language, it's fine to do the Standard course. But if you've living in an anglophonic country for your whole life and you do the Standard course and you're not mentally impaired... well, I'm fighting hard not to write expletives.
A list of soft subjects, for those who are a little confused:
-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Legal Studies. Oh yes.
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology
-- All those accredited subjects or whatever, like sheet metal working.
-- anything else that strikes you as a subject for people with undersized brains.

Now, granted, I am trying to be at least a bit inflammatory, but, my good people, what are your thoughts on these soft subjects and the ninnies who do them? (They're off the hook if they have some sort of mental impairment, God bless them).
Should we force them to do real subjects like physics and maths, and English extension? (Though physics is slowly becoming more and more like a humanity subject).

Go fourth and express your important opinion.

And, just out of curiosity are you 'anglophonic'?
To simply get to the point, I find your statement about YOUR opinion on people's choice of the level they choose within a subject, specifically English... to have a condescending tone. Irrespectively, English wasn't my first language.. but that's not the point of my replying to your views.

Firstly, there are plenty of people doing Advanced or 'smart' courses who absoutely suck, fail and struggle with the subject. Just because someone can say "I do Advanced or Extension", people automatically assume that they are of reasonable intelligence. From my own experience of having people in Advanced and Extension classes, there have so many and still are those that get D's and E's in the courses.... yet they remain with them simply because its part of the 'assumed' knowledge of a university course.

Another point. Not all people that do 'Standard' or 'General' subjects are 'dumb' or shall I say... mentally impaired. There are some people that really do achieve commendable results in them. So many people that I know that dropped down were way more better at the advanced course, than the suckers who stayed on. Oh, and then there are others who choose not to do the Advanced or Extension courses because of work overload, through all the heavy science subjects etc. There are also people who I've heard have only chosen to drop down to a 'Standard' course because of family problems.. such as a divorce or death in the family. In no way, does choosing a standard course reflect your intelligence. It is merely dependent on your performance in the course.

Anyway, I'm over it. Just wanted to say my views.
No hard feelings I hope....

Classic Rudiger

Such if Life.
HSC
yeah I wouldn't be calling Studies of Religion soft
It's incredibly hard to try and analyse the impact of Al-Ghazali on Islam and the significance of the Hajj when we come from predominantly Christian or secular backgrounds.
The hardest part is trying to understand the culture.

You can call some subjects soft, as I would, but you can't blame students for doing them, specifically as some students aren't predisposed to academic achievement and have talents in other areas. Some might have specific skills in the humaities area, others might I add have the English skills of a rock and do 4 unit Maths. It goes both ways.

Dran-Dran

HSC
I don't think you can really label a subject soft. It all depends on how much effort the individual puts in. I do subjects people would label hard, which they are, but I do next to no work and my results reflect that, whereas some people who do these 'soft' subjects get outstanding results. These subjects may not scale well, but neither will a 'harder' subject that an individual does no work in.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
but i have to do sor (catholic school grr). would you classify ipt as soft?

tau281290

HSC
Dr.Chau said:
You also missed Economics.

*Ducks*
What? Your saying econ is a soft subject? It scales as well as chem and phy, if not better. It is a high-end subject after all.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
sophie16 said:
Get over it dude. leave people alone for whatever they want to do. at the end of the day...hsc means nothing. some people have different types of intellegence. some might be gun in chemistry and physics and extension maths, but ask them what they would do if a major family crisis occured and left them out on the streets, or they got abused, or had to mentally and emotionally help someone out, or they had to survive on their own....they wouldn't know jack. so just cos someone might want to do what you call "soft subjects" doesn't mean they are dumb or lazy. at all.
i disagree, your doing the same thing, steriotyping people based on their education. I dont think that just because someone excels in physics they would know "jack" about how to deal with being sexually abused, thats just silly. Its individual specific.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I think it depends on the school.

At my school, biology is definately not a soft subject, infact it is one of the hardest to do well in because the teacher has such high standards. I get higher marks in chemistry and 4 unit maths than I do in biology, even though biology is apparently (according to you) a 'soft subject'.

That said, we do really well in it (last year about 80% of kids got band 6's in it)

-tal-

HSC
erm said:
you are right on the money.

i'm no genius, but i consider myself to be equally good at all my subjects (which aren't all just maths based/humanities based - nice spread).

I find it incredibly hard to figure out what i want to study next year. Basically i've got so many options that i could potentially like, i'm kinda lost.
+1 I may have brains (don't kill me for the "arrogance"), but no direction. Whereas some of lesser "ability" know what they want - and I admire that in them.

Heck, my friends do Society & Culture, Hospitality and Business Studies (2 do all, and 2 do only business) - and they're pretty smart people. Amongst them, they came 1st in Advanced Maths, 1st in Extension English, 1st in Society & Culture, 1st in Hospitality, 2nd in Biology and 2nd in Economics. Not to mention, they do Extension Maths too, they're smart, they just don't like the sciences.

Black.Magic said:
It's forth, not fourth.

2S1D3

HSC
Black.Magic said:
Comrades, in case you don't know what I mean, a soft subject is one that is very easy compared to other, 'hard subjects'. (e.g. any extension course, sciences excluding biology, etc...)

People choose them, despite their woeful scaling, thinking they can ace them so it doesn't matter. But it does. You lose your man/womanhood. You do your country a dishonour by reinforcing the stereotype that this is a land of slack anti-intellectual drinkers.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some people who genuinely deserve to do soft subjects. For example, if English isn't your first language, it's fine to do the Standard course. But if you've living in an anglophonic country for your whole life and you do the Standard course and you're not mentally impaired... well, I'm fighting hard not to write expletives.
-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology
-- anything else that strikes you as a subject for people with undersized brains.

Now, granted, I am trying to be at least a bit inflammatory, but, my good people, what are your thoughts on these soft subjects and the ninnies who do them? (They're off the hook if they have some sort of mental impairment, God bless them).
Should we force them to do real subjects like physics and maths, and English extension? (Though physics is slowly becoming more and more like a humanity subject).

No

HSC
it is incrediably hard to get good marks in standard, as a person had outlined before... comparatively ext 1 and 2 english ismuch easier then, i would even say standard and definatly advance.

i destest maths and science... so why would i chose them? so i can fail and 'hopfully' because they scale well will pick me up? im not saying i stupid and can't count, but seriously i turned down ext maths because i didnt like it, and i knew i would dread it and put no effort into it, same with science. i happen to love and do well in all my 'soft' subjects as you would call them. if i sat you in front of a textiles exam and told to describe the structure of a fiber found in cotton or know how a filament is made or what a hopper was i doubt you would know.

industrial tech and other vet course are not 'soft', think of the skill and commitment... this overrides all the formulas you would ever learn or need in your life. i do modern and it would be one of the most demanding subjects you can do. the exam alone is 3hrs of about 15-17 pages of writting 4 essays and 2 responses...

as for S.O.R 1 is very basic, but try sitting through a S.O.R 2 3 hr exam. learning about not only 'god' but various religion and cultures, its not just something u can calculate...

please do not 'assume' anything...

Last edited:

DJel

HSC
Black.Magic said:

-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology

Do you do Visual Arts as it says in your profile or is it a mistake?

Yamiyo

HSC
Black.Magic said:

-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology

Visual Arts and French Continuers aren't exactly high class subjects themselves...

jazzbaby

HSC
Black.Magic said:

-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology

please learn basic spelling first before you start having a go at the people that do these so called "soft" subjects.

you have an "undersized" brain as well

fucking idiot.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Black.Magic said:

-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology

You are an idiot.
Worst post ever.

Most of those subjects are not 'soft' at all.

DJel

HSC
-may-cat- said:
why? do u think visual arts is easy
I think most subjects have their challenging aspects. I have friends who do visual arts and I don't see it as a 'soft' subject. It just appears that the OP associated 'soft' subjects with low scaling, "despite their woeful scaling", and failed to note visual arts on her list although it receives lower scaling than most on the list (see: http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php). To me it just seems hypocritical of the OP to list quite low scaling subjects and conveniently omit a low scaling subject that he or she does.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
DJel said:
I think most subjects have their challenging aspects. I have friends who do visual arts and I don't see it as a 'soft' subject. It just appears that the OP associated 'soft' subjects with low scaling, "despite their woeful scaling", and failed to note visual arts on her list although it receives lower scaling than most on the list (see: http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php). To me it just seems hypocritical of the OP to list quite low scaling subjects and conveniently omit a low scaling subject that he or she does.
i think the OP just likes to stir up emotions

ameher

HSC
lol op sux, srsly if u consider legal studies n biology soft there must be something wrong with you

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
-may-cat- said:
i think the OP just likes to stir up emotions

Read rest of this thread.
I think the OP, and half the people in here are retarted.

People calling PDHPE 'soft' because they did it in years 9 and 10. PDHPE is really hard, and theres so much to remember.

stupid opinions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)