• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Some are born gay, some achieve gayness, and some have gayness thrust upon them (2 Viewers)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Abnormal is a responsive term, it can't be defined in isolation, it can only be defined as a relative value after "normal" has been defined.

Fine, abnormal is something you don't experience most of the time, my quantitative measure of normality is whether a condition is experienced for >50% of your adult life, BOOM most women are not pregnant most of of the time, it's abnormal to be pregnant, therefore pregnancy is a disease.

spyro14

HSC
Abnormal is a responsive term, it can't be defined in isolation, it can only be defined as a relative value after "normal" has been defined.

Fine, abnormal is something you don't experience most of the time, my quantitative measure of normality is whether a condition is experienced for >50% of your adult life, BOOM most women are not pregnant most of of the time, it's abnormal to be pregnant, therefore pregnancy is a disease.
So you pull me up on my subjectiveness, then you create your own measures of how you define things. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wtf?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
No, you can define normality in whatever terms you please. It's completely fine to do so.

But I'd challenge you to do so in a way that excludes pregnancy, but not any actual diseases.

I think you're on the wrong track in looking at whether something is 'abnormal' or not as the indicator of disease.

HSC
N/A
No, spyro, Graney has a point. By any medical definition, an embryo could be considered a parasite, and pregnancy a parasitic disease. But we don't.
so you admit that you're against abortion? good. demod yourself for trolling this instant please. :blah:

Tangent

HSC
Urgh, a foetus is "technically" classified as a parasite, as to what it does to the bodily functions (feeds off host, messes up stuff in the body), which is perfectly true. Kwayera and Granney were pointing this out, not trying to be cold hearted towards pregnancy or babies.

As they have posted previously, this is not their view, (that they are baby-haters or anything of the like)

some people are simply blowing things outta proportion.

spyro14

HSC
I understand the point that you all seem to be trying to get across but I just take issue with the idea of calling a pregnancy a parasite since I couldn't care less about "technical classification".

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, too bad. Science and medicine were never the rosiest of subjects.

spyro14

HSC
Calling yourself a former parasite isn't logic.... it's just cold and hard.......baby

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Calling yourself a former parasite isn't logic.... it's just cold and hard.......baby
Better then describing yourself as something similar to a prehistoric fish with a scaly tail and bug eyed, and essentially looking like everything else at the same stage of foetal growth, including cows and pigs.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I don't have any romance towards the pregnancy process. I don't have any particular problem with being a former parasite (a most successful evolutionary lineage).

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Spyro, think of it as a symbiotic creature, the baby could be considered as mutual, since both subjects are bettering themselves (surviving, improving the population) or Commensalism, where one is benefited and the other is not negatively or positively affected.

Mind you some women might see it as parasitism.

spyro14

HSC
I don't have any romance towards the pregnancy process. I don't have any particular problem with being a former parasite (a most successful evolutionary lineage).
Ofcourse you don't have any "Romance" towards such a process, I got that vibe from you pretty quickly..... regardless I think we've both got our points across so how about we stay to the topic of Homosexuality?

spyro14

HSC
Spyro, think of it as a symbiotic creature, the baby could be considered as mutual, since both subjects are bettering themselves (surviving, improving the population) or Commensalism, where one is benefited and the other is not negatively or positively affected.

Mind you some women might see it as parasitism.
Still not happy with what you're saying but I suppose symbiosis is better than parasitic...

Smile_Time351

HSC
Ok. To break this sub-argument down to try and make sense of it for both sides, and any third parties:

The issue here arises from the definition of "Abnormality", which would include pregnancy in its categorised definition. This led to the corollary drawn by Spyro that pregnancy can not be abnormal because we all do it. The issue here is that, by definition, pregnancy is abnormal because it is not the norm. Women aren't pregnant more often than not.

This draws the conclusion that embryos are parasitic and abnormal, a definition that anyone (except perhaps Kwayera... for some reason) is largely uncomfortable with.

Now for the solution: we need to move away from clinical and strict definitions and more into associated connotations. The fact that all of our mothers were pregnant at some stage, the fact that pregnancy is needed to bring people, or any other mammal into the world lends one to believe that it is obviously not normal. The argument against the defininition is: Women aren't pregnant more often than not, thus pregnancy is abnormal. This definition can fall apart by as simple a modification as the extension of the human gestation period.

Therefore, the argument against this definition is wrong. Pregnancy is not abnormal.

Back to homosexuality now?

HSC
Why? Are you one of those little boys?
Of course not...and if I was, I'd be highly unlikely to bring it up on a public forum.

What I'm saying is that I think that part of the reasons there's such problems with priests and abuse, not only in the Catholic Church but also the Greek Orthodox, is because the priests have repressed sexual urges which they obviously can't act upon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)