• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Some are born gay, some achieve gayness, and some have gayness thrust upon them (1 Viewer)

HSC
The rejection is an inevitable cause of the disorder. But they are always alienated from the strength and assurance of traditional family life
'Traditional family life' according to whom? Families are inevitably changing, with the divorce rate at 50%, increased incidence of inter-racial and inter-faith couples, blended families etc.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
then it's a genetic disorder - same thing different smell.
More like a recessive gene? I would no more call homosexuality a genetic disorder than I would call having orange hair a disorder (and the latter is arguably more damaging to one's chances of reproducing than the former).

HSC
I agree. In fact, both are simply genetic variations rather than genetic disorders.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
More like a recessive gene? I would no more call homosexuality a genetic disorder than I would call having orange hair a disorder (and the latter is arguably more damaging to one's chances of reproducing than the former).
Or you might say homosexuality is a genetic disorder in the same way that Down's syndrome is.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
oh snap
that's why i dyed it
and it worked BABEH

since i couldn't find a raised eyebrows smiley, the hat one will do.

:hat:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Genetic disorders include chromosome abnormality.

Marfan syndrome, whatever.

Kizza1992

HSC
Look ... lets cut straight to the "Nuts and Bolts" or "nuts and nuts" (JUST SO WE DONT BLOODY OFFEND ANYONE1!!!) It depends how broad and deep you want to go into the philosophy on the matter...

One could argue that man is on earth to solve the purpose of reproduction and hence homosexuals are a abmormality of this notion.

We live in a crazy world were defining metal illness and phobias has gone beyond all limits of sanity...

My view is that "Normal" is what is the nature of the majority ... So if u are goin to press the notion that homosexuality is not a mental condition and is a life style choice, sombody could expand this notion and say that desire and intention to murder is not a mental imbalance... and just purely the normal behaviour of a very small minority .... and therefore not an "imapairment" (For those nit-pickers who tried to analyse the word "disease").

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Look ... lets cut straight to the "Nuts and Bolts" or "nuts and nuts" (JUST SO WE DONT BLOODY OFFEND ANYONE1!!!) It depends how broad and deep you want to go into the philosophy on the matter...

One could argue that man is on earth to solve the purpose of reproduction and hence homosexuals are a abmormality of this notion.
Lolwhut? Also incorrect, as homosexuals pass on their genes indirectly, via their siblings' offspring. Almost as good in genetic/evolutionary terms as having your own.

We live in a crazy world were defining metal illness and phobias has gone beyond all limits of sanity...

My view is that "Normal" is what is the nature of the majority ... So if u are goin to press the notion that homosexuality is not a mental condition and is a life style choice, sombody could expand this notion and say that desire and intention to murder is not a mental imbalance... and just purely the normal behaviour of a very small minority .... and therefore not an "imapairment" (For those nit-pickers who tried to analyse the word "disease").
It's not a mental condition, and it's not a lifestyle choice. It's a product of genes.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Homosexuality has many of the features of mental illness including shortened life expectancy for sufferers, and is associated with higher risk for a range of other mental illnesses, beyond what would be expected due to the standard social isolation experienced by gays.

It was only declassified as a mental illness by the APA in 1973. The distinction is mainly political. By the 1970's it was politically unpalatable to continue calling homosexuality a mental illness, but there's no good, evidential distinction between pre and post-declassification.

You can reasonably argue, as many do, that things like autism, shizophrenia etc... are different cognitive styles, and not disorders or a disability.

Neurodiversity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defining mental illness is a contestable subject. Even the definition of 'illness' is far from clear.
Subsequently, a new diagnosis, ego-dystonic homosexuality, was created for the DSM's third edition in 1980. Ego dystonic homosexuality was indicated by: (1) a persistent lack of heterosexual arousal, which the patient experienced as interfering with initiation or maintenance of wanted heterosexual relationships, and (2) persistent distress from a sustained pattern of unwanted homosexual arousal.
I don't agree with the mental illness line of thought to begin with. It could be argued instead, and I would support this, that homosexual people are more prone to developing a mental illness due to a bunch of societal and family influences. Shame, rejection, religious upbringing, etc could all be psychologically damaging to someone coming to grips with a sexuality they didn't choose.

But I reject the idea that homosexuality is a mental illness (cue KFunk re: what is a mental illness) like schitzophrenia etc.

There are quite a few studies on this;
Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999 Oct;56(10):887-8 : Homosexuality, psychopathology, and suicidality
Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999 Oct;56(10):885-6 : Suicide and sexual orientation: nearing the end of controversy?
Psychol Bull. 2003 Sep;129(5):674-97 : Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence.

Last edited:

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
It's not a mental condition, and it's not a lifestyle choice. It's a product of genes.
Oh shuttup. Every neurological disorder is liek, a product of genes. Doesn't mean it's not a disorder that shouldn't be medicated, and/or stamped out.

katie tully said:
I don't agree with the mental illness line of thought to begin with. It could be argued instead, and I would support this, that homosexual people are more prone to developing a mental illness due to a bunch of societal and family influences. Shame, rejection, religious upbringing, etc could all be psychologically damaging to someone coming to grips with a sexuality they didn't choose.
I don't agree with that to begin with. It could be argued to the contrary, and I would support this, that the opposite is true.

Provide evidence or stfu

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Oh shuttup. Every neurological disorder is liek, a product of genes. Doesn't mean it's not a disorder that shouldn't be medicated, and/or stamped out.
You can't medicate against homosexuality. You can't "stamp it out". It is not a disease, or a disorder. You know that, so stop faffing around

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
You could medicate it with electroshock therapy, a lobotomy, the relevant sex hormones.

i reckon if you load a heap of testosterone into a gay dude he'd become straight in a second mang.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You could medicate it with electroshock therapy, a lobotomy, the relevant sex hormones.

i reckon if you load a heap of testosterone into a gay dude he'd become straight in a second mang.
Except things like this have been tried, and they failed?

You can't change people's genes, dude, for fuck's sake. There are anatomical differences as well as those involved with brain chemistry and you can't change those.

Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why would you want to "cure" homosexuality? The carpets may not match the drapes but you're still a ranga, and nothing can change that. Are you abnormal for being a ranga, in the minority of hair colours? No, so stfu.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

Disease- A disease or medical problem is an abnormal condition of an organism that impairs bodily functions, associated with specific symptoms and signs. It may be caused by external factors, such as invading organisms, or it may be caused by internal dysfunctions, such as autoimmune diseases.

Mental Illness- A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern that occurs in an individual and is thought to cause distress or disability that is not expected as part of normal development or culture. The recognition and understanding of mental disorders has changed over time and across cultures. Definitions, assessments, and classifications of mental disorders can vary, but guideline criteria listed in the ICD, DSM and other manuals are widely accepted by mental health professionals. Categories of diagnoses in these schemes may include dissociative disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, eating disorders, developmental disorders, personality disorders, ambulatory disorders and many other categories.

If im not mistaken, this explains what both Disease and Mental Illness is, and, quite clearly, that homosexuality is not covered by either of these criteria. Its a natural occurrence, and can be seen in the animal kingdom.

The Australian Psychological Society states:
“ "Homosexual orientation is not a mental illness and there is no scientific reason to attempt conversion of lesbians or gays to heterosexual orientation. The Australian Psychological Society acknowledges the lack of scientific evidence for the usefulness of conversion therapy, and notes that it can in fact be harmful for the individual. Changing the sexual orientation of a person is not simply a matter of changing the person's sexual behavior. It would require altering the emotional, romantic and sexual feelings of the person and restructuring self-concept and social identity."
Well hot diggity dog, its an Australian Source!

Israel is the only country in the Middle East region that allows openly LGB people to serve in the military.
Learn something new everyday o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)