• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SRC Elections 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Well they can't get any worse...maybe they improve with alcohol?

You know, they are probably nice people when they are passed out.
fuck. the guy i always thought was you ended up not being you. unless you decided to hand out flyers for spark

jellybeenz

HSC
wikiwiki said:
Well they can't get any worse...maybe they improve with alcohol?

You know, they are probably nice people when they are passed out.
Quah better hope so if he is there... they might try to attack him again...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm not there. I had already had my alcohol with my new Arts Music classmates earlier in the day to celebrate the upcoming week off, and in fact spent the last couple hours of electioneering drunk. So when I walked into Wentworth Bar or whatever they call it, and there weren't any Choice guys there, I just left. Elections are too stressful when you're an independent against entire parties, and by that point of the day I was mixing my words and I had a buzzing sound in my head for quite a while. Nevertheless, I had a bit of fun with everybody, and I even had the Choice guys giving out my "It's Un-Australian not to vote for Andrew Quah" flyer - of which I was selling A3 versions to other candidates for 50c a piece.

Last edited:

jellybeenz

HSC
Phanatical said:
I'm not there. I had already had my alcohol with my music classmates earlier in the day, and in fact spent the last couple hours of electioneering drunk. So when I walked into Wentworth Bar or whatever they call it, and there weren't any Choice guys there, I just left. Elections are too stressful when you're an independent against entire parties, and by that point of the day I was mixing my words and I had a buzzing sound in my head for quite a while. Nevertheless, I had a bit of fun with everybody, and I even had the Choice guys giving out my "It's Un-Australian not to vote for Andrew Quah" flyer - of which I was selling A3 versions to other candidates for 50c a piece.
At first I was so mad about that flyer, I just thought it was the most stupid thing I had ever heard. Now it just seems kinda funny. For me, an observer, this whole election thing has been a kind of soap opera. I'm actually finding myself really interested in the outcomes when at first I was like "oh yeah whatever".

gerhard

HSC
quah, at the end of the day would it be fair to say that really you just want some friends?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I have enough friends. I run because I am committed to a belief that:

a) Music students at both the Con and Con Arts are marginalised on campus, with little to no consideration of the needs of students at both Greenway and Seymour.

b) Student Community, and therefore student organisations are essential to creating better university graduates. As Wentworth (of Wentworth Building fame) once said, university is not just about instilling technical skills, but also about fostering better people who function better in a community. It is the responsibility of our student organisations to facilitate this - and as far as I'm concerned, they've completely failed in this regard.

c) Student politics is not just a game (though it should be fun) - it's a way of life, and it's a good way for me to experience and learn the nuances of politics before I engage in a career within it.

d) Student campaigning is, surprisingly, an Excellent outlet for my creativity. As most of the candidates know, I am writing a song cycle for my major study called "Election!", which chronicles the election period and the feelings of the participants.

The flyer was, for me, a way to release some stress about the election and reintroduce some humour. It's very much an in-joke among candidates, but I hope that it restored some funny to the election. None of my ludicrous claims were supposed to be take seriously, and the text of those posters make that quite clear.

Our representatives have become corrupt. They don’t care about trivial things like “fairness” and “equality”. All they care about is their fancy-schmancy resumes. You think they’d sit down and have a beer with you? They’d probably insist on a café-latte instead!

As a proud Aussie, I will represent students with the dedication and passion of our great men and women through history. Like Simpson and his donkey, I will save the students from the corrupt bloodbath of our SRC! Like Ned Kelly, I will take back the wasted funds and give them back to students! And like Mark Latham, the Greatest of them All, I will not hold back my criticism, and I’ll say it as it is! As a proud Aussie, I am a man of my word – and as your SRC President, I PROMISE sensible and fair representation for ALL students.

TODAY, the decision rests in your hands. Support Our Proud Nation and Our Proud University and Vote 1 Andrew Quah for an SRC YOU can be proud of. I am the Sensible Choice.

Last edited:

jellybeenz

HSC
Ah I thought you were talking about the flyers that claimed if we didnt vote for you we are racist as was mentioned upthread.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yeah, no-one seemed to run positive campaigns. Not even quah. Its fine to criticise, but i would have liked to have seen more positivity.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I couldn't run a positive campaign, because there's nothing positive to say. My number one policy is to essentially send money off campus to the Con. My number two policy is, effectively to cut the Women's and Queer Officers and replace them with a Gender Issues and Equal Opportunity Officer. Neither SOUND popular, even though that is what the SRC must do to make it more acceptable to the students.

I did try to push the whole "The Sensible Choice" line, and I did talk quite a bit about the new Student Health, Welfare and Wellness officer I wish to create. Talking about the SRC being a leader in improving the quality of life for students. Improving nutrition on campus by running cooking demonstrations and such. Working with SU Sport and the Union to really focus on stuff that Directly impacts students. But the fact is, that for every good idea I put out, there's a wanker who's gonna say "Quah's a Liberal bastard", "Quah's a Communist" or "Quah's an idiot". It's not fair, but that's electioneering - and they will destroy good policy to get control of the SRC budget.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i fucking hate that women's officer article in the honi soit. i want to choke her.

jellybeenz

HSC
absolution* said:
Yeah, no-one seemed to run positive campaigns. Not even quah. Its fine to criticise, but i would have liked to have seen more positivity.
These are dark times we live in... :rolleyes:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I've done it again, avoided another election campaign. I'm so proud of myself. Rose Jackson is kinda cute. :p

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
melbournian said:
cooking demonstrations....
no offence, but fat bastards like you shouldn't be liasoning with SU Sport nor giving nutritional advise.
I look like i'm SUPPOSED to look. Just because I don't fit into your flawed Western perceptions of good looking doesn't mean shit to me.

Besides, it's important our SRC start dealing with those issues. There are students at our university with Scurvy. How anybody in the 21st century could have such a severe Vitamin C deficiency i don't know - but they do. This is because students who live on campus don't know how to eat properly, or don't have the know how to prepare sensible foods. Cooking competitions a la Ready Steady Cook will not only create an exciting event for students to come to (paying maybe $1 each to get in, thereby covering the cost of said event), but also serve an important function in addressing the needs of students who live on or near campus.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
I look like i'm SUPPOSED to look. Just because I don't fit into your flawed Western perceptions of good looking doesn't mean shit to me.
wtf? You're not even Western?! shit, lucky I didn't vote.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
lol, youre all so retarded. when i run, ill campaign against retards using up student fess. positive discrimination ill call it.

jellybeenz

HSC
Phanatical said:
Is that a knee-jerk reaction for you? To assume that anytime someone insults you its about race?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
jellybeenz said:
Is that a knee-jerk reaction for you? To assume that anytime someone insults you its about race?
Race has nothing to do with what he was saying.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
melbournian said:
I'm not a communist.

Quah, it has nothing to do with good looking, its to do with Health. I would never take nutritional advise from someone who can't run around the block.
I don't mean to be personal, but I find it a bit hypocritical.
I can run quite efficiently, thank you. Granted, I can only sprint Wentworth to Fisher, but I'm a musician, and that's about as far as most musicians go. But if you really want to have a debate about our physical condition, can YOU conduct a four hour opera (with a 20 minute break at the 2 hour mark)? I can - let's see YOU wave your arms in the air for even four MINUTES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)