State of Origin 06 (1 Viewer)

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
goony said:
in retrospect, i reckon the finch/anasta combo didnt play that badly (asides from anasta scoring a couple of qld's tries with that pass >_>),
Yes the: intercepted passes, knocked on passes, passes to players' heads, non-existant kicking game and complete lack of originality did wonders for the team.

I'd just like to go on the record saying that the NSW halves were useless, unimaginative sacks of crap. If they don't get dropped for the next game I will personally hurt Laurie Daley and his band of merry wankers.

In saying that, QLD played great. The reason nobody noticed how shit Anasta/Finch are is that in the first game is that our forwards were dominating, so tries just flowed from that. Well the NSW forward pack especially completely underestimated QLD this game and they got whipped. I'm a NSW supporter but seriously, it serves them right for going into this match with such a crappy attitude.

We'll win the next one though. I may even put money on it :D.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
snickerdoodle said:
Well the NSW forward pack especially completely underestimated QLD this game and they got whipped. I'm a NSW supporter but seriously, it serves them right for going into this match with such a crappy attitude.

We'll win the next one though. I may even put money on it :D.
Yeah too right. The maroons forwards were gaining 40-50m every set in the 2nd half, and the NSW guys were struggling to make 20-30m. It looked like they came into the game without paying much respect to their opposition and they paid the price.

anyway yeah should be a great game in melbourne :)

Last edited:

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i really think ppl forgot that NSW won game 1 by a field goal. sure the QLD forwards were missing in the first 20-30 minutes of the first half but it wasnt as though we got hammered. tonight QLD's forwards started the game how the shouldve game 1 and from there everything else fell into place

Cpt obvious

HSC
Cpt obvious said:
Why on earth would anyone pick mogg for origin, he is okay but he is not origin material

Wow I was wrong about Mogg That was one hell of a game.

Go The BLUES

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
bahaha this is the finch we've come to know and love, anasta too showed his true colours... now they can cncentrate on the club

king and grothe played well tho and beaver tried his heart out, but the forwards got hammered... never quite recover from that. lmao mogg, funny if he gets dropped for inglis next game
Beaver knocked on 2 or 3 times, squandering important chances each time.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
copious said:
lol this would have to be one of the worst selection gambles i have seen in years. But u never know, he may score a hatrick on debut !
hey i wasnt far off with my prediction last week :D

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Didnt i telll you! DIDNT I TELL YOU! FUCKING FINCH. I got sick of counting how many knock-ons by the Blues there were. And which retard passed the ball at point blank range at Mason's head. I dont know who cos i was too busy cursing and swearing.

For gods sake, how slow was our forward pack?! We were smashed for being too ordinary and our forwards were too relaxed and we were caught out and dominated by the QLD forwards and their dramatic improvement. Thats why our halves and backs were bundled up. They piled on the pressure and gave NSW no way to move and no way of being able to attack. I think the majority of the blame should be on Mason, O'Meley, Simpson and Bailey. Even Joey himself wouldntve been able to play behind a forward pack that was going backwards. Blues were toooooooo sickeningly relaxed.

However, i think even if NSW had played any better- they wouldntve been able to beat a really motivated QLD team, nor would Murray had predicted it in the first place to do anything about it. I still say, die Finch...him and his shit lack of direction and ball control. Dieeeeeee

OH actually, someone break Justin Fuckwit Hodges' leg. kthx

EDIT: And why the fuck werent there any fights?!? I look forward to FIGHTS and tension in Origin. Fucken Blues, if you're gonna lose- end it with dignity and a massive boiled hot fight. Idiots.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Bailey didn't do much wrong at all, and from memory was only the victim of a dominant tackle once all match. Mason and O'Meley kept getting smashed, time in time out. I can only remember Mason getting over the advantage line once.

It's not his fault, though .. he and O'Meley were targets all night.

A smarter pair of halves should have realised this after about five minutes, and instead played the second man WAY more often. Seriously, do you think a Buderus(9)/Johns(7)/Barrett(6) combination would have kept on giving it to Mason and O'Meley in the knowledge that they were getting hammered every hitup? I don't think so.

Kim, perhaps your phone is still broken. Because I sent an SMS to your number and Mel during the match which said, "You should be ashamed that anasta and finch play for your team. They are embarrassments to the whole of nsw and australian rugby league." Which they did indeed prove to be last night.

Oh well, the signs were there all week. The 'disastrous' lead-up to the match for Queensland was, as always, their perfect lead-up.

In hindsight, I don't think it would have mattered how well NSW played .. Clark would have played the puppet of the NRL, and made sure that QLD would've won (Barry Gommersall style :p). A dead rubber in Melbourne would have sucked for the NRL.

Squad for Game 3:

1. Brett HODGSON / Ben HORNBY -- Hornby wouldn't be hammered on kick-return as much, but Hodgson deserves his spot.
2. Matt KING -- this guy is amazing, what a star.
3. Mark GASNIER
4. Matt COOPER
5. Timana TAHU -- Grothe = gone.
6. ... I really don't know, Scott HILL has experience .. Preston CAMPBELL would get smashed in Origin .. and Trent BARRETT is suspended.
7. Craig GOWER / Matt ORFORD .. probably go with Gower, because Orford is shit behind a dominated forward pack. Here's to hoping Andrew JOHNS un-retires.
8. Willie MASON / Brent KITE -- Depends on Luke O'DONNELL's injury.
9. Danny BUDERUS
10. Luke BAILEY
11. Nathan HINDMARSH -- why the hell was he off for 40 minutes?!
12. Luke O'DONNELL / Willie MASON-- is O'DONNELL back yet?
13. Andrew RYAN -- Can Ben KENNEDY come out of retirement? Please?

14. Steve SIMPSON
15. Steve MENZIES
16. Dean YOUNG
17. Jason RYLES

Inclusions: Matt COOPER, Craig GOWER, Luke O'DONNELL, Dean YOUNG, Jason RYLES, Scott HILL

Kicked out: Eric GROTHE, Braith ANASTA, Brett FINCH, Mark O'MELEY, Brent KITE (if Luke O'DONNELL is available, that is), Craig WING

Last edited:

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
willie mason said:
"It was 50 per cent completion rate, for a NSW side minimum 80-85 per cent you need in games like that. You can't compete with anyone, we could have played Souths last night they could have beat us."
hahahahahahhahahahaha Souths.

Andrew Johns hints at Origin return
Thursday Jun 15 19:58 AEST
The Origin availability of Newcastle maestro Andrew Johns is back on the agenda after the Knights halfback hinted at a possible return to the NSW side for the series decider.

While Johns' management denied there would be any backflip on his decision to retire from representative football, it is believed pressure from NSW selectors, players and supporters could convince Johns into one last hurrah for next month's series finale in Melbourne.

Johns told several NSW players of his desire to play in Origin III shortly after Wednesday night's 30-6 game 2 victory to Queensland, but was non-committal when quizzed on the issue on Thursday.

"I think I got caught up in the emotion of it all," Johns told the Nine Network.

"I'm going to have a have a real good think about it, probably not mate."

The possible return of Johns would be a godsend for Blues selectors who need to come up with some answers following last night's capitulation at Suncorp Stadium.

There are lingering doubts over halfback Brett Finch's ability to consistently deliver at Origin level following a disappointing performance on Wednesday night, while Craig Gower's lack of recent action due to knee surgery is also a concern.

Johns knocked back an SOS from Blues management on the eve of Origin one following Gower's training mishap, saying he was neither physically nor mentally prepared for the challenge.

But having enjoyed a weekend off courtesy of the Knights' bye last weekend, a refreshed Johns would be in better shape for an Origin recall for the July 5 encounter.

His brother, former Kangaroo and NSW five-eighth Matthew Johns, talked up the prospect of a return.

"I'm starting to think he might do it," Matthew Johns said.

"Put it this way, he's a natural risk taker.

"It would be sensational. I haven't spoken to him about it yet but wouldn't it be something.

"It would be tempting fate a little bit because of what he did last time, (but) he's a huge star and it would be a huge boost for NSW."

Johns' manager John Fordham poured cold water on speculation the star playmaker would again grace the stage he once dominated.

"No. The best source is the player himself and after speaking to him several times today he has categorically denied a comeback," Fordham said.

"He has retired from Origin.

"When he announced his retirement following the Test match against New Zealand he made his position clear then.

"He was approached about a comeback in Origin I and declined that offer and his position has not changed."

Johns' availability would be a massive boost for not only the Blues but also for the profile of the deciding match in Melbourne, which will be played before a sellout crowd of over 53,000 at the Telstra Dome.

The Maroons are likely to enjoy the majority of support for the first series decider to be played outside of either Sydney or Brisbane, which could be a big factor given the home side has won 14 of the last 17 Origin clashes dating back to the 2001 series.

"I've been living down there for a while now and learned the Victorians hate the Blue-baggers, so we may have a bit of an advantage there," Queensland and Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith said.

The Maroons also hold the edge in deciders, winning six compared to NSW's four, with two series ending with a draw.

After being labelled one of the worst Queensland sides in Origin history in the lead-up to game two, the selection headaches have suddenly become pleasant ones for Maroons selectors.

They will have to find someone to replace Steve Bell though, with the Manly centre ruled out for up to six weeks with a depressed cheekbone fracture.

Teenage superstar Greg Inglis is also unlikely to be available as he continues his recovery from a back injury, paving the way for Adam Mogg to retain his place after a stunning two-try debut.
Like SAY WHAT?!

Cpt obvious

HSC
Why bench Hindmarsh? He makes so many tackles the other forwards dont have to work, with his workrate in defence the other forwards can focus on hitting the ball up thats why NSW's forward pack did not dominate they were to tired from all the tackling that Hindmarrsh normally does.

ledzeppelin

HSC
my team for game three would be:

Hornby
King
Cooper
Gasnier
Tahu

Hill
Kimmorley

Bailey
Buderus
O'Meley
Thompson
Hindmarsh
Menzies

Young
Ryles
Tupou
Mason

flamingphoenix

HSC
based on form, i do think that matthew head has 2 be nsw halfback...and probably scott hill to partner him at five-eighth

Cpt obvious

HSC
On form neither Head nor Gower have had enough game time. Sure head can play like a superstar against an out of form Cowboys, but he is no where near fit enough to play origin. Although Kimmorly was injured he is showing a greater level of fitness and unlike Finch when kimmorly's forwards are getting hammered he steps up to the mark and carries his team.

flamingphoenix

HSC
Cpt obvious said:
On form neither Head nor Gower have had enough game time. Sure head can play like a superstar against an out of form Cowboys, but he is no where near fit enough to play origin. Although Kimmorly was injured he is showing a greater level of fitness and unlike Finch when kimmorly's forwards are getting hammered he steps up to the mark and carries his team.

well in the few games that head has played, he's gone pretty damn well (for the record, im not a dragons supporter)....and personally, i dont think that kimmorley will ever play another origin game after his effort in his last one, with the intercepted pass that lost the game....and if i recall correctly, kimmorley threw 2 passes that let the warriors back into a game a few weeks back....so he obviously hasnt learned

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
NSW Named :

1. Hodgson
2. Grothe
3. King
4. Cooper
5. Tahu
6. Gasnier
7. Gower
8. Mason
9. Buderus (c)
10. Bailey
11. Simpson
12. Hindmarsh
13. O'Donnell
14. O'Meley
15. Menzies
16. Gallen
17. Hornby

Gasnier/Gower halves combo.

Hornby on the bench for Wing.

Gallen on the bench for Ryan.

Kite drops out of the team, starting front row of Mason + Bailey

Cooper takes the vacated centre spot.

otay

HSC
Very interesting. Will like to see how Gaz goes in halves in origin. As a result it was obvious that Cooper was going to get selected. I like the inclusions of Gallen and Hornby. Gower though? Never really been a fan and he didn't have the best game on the weekend. Maybe they really should pick form players instead of reputation. I woulda preferred Kimmorly/Hill but I can see Gaz's selection at 5-8, you'd think maybe give Head a go. Saints are on fire atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)