• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State of Origin Thread (1 Viewer)

who is going to win the state of orgin??

• blues

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • marrons

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I'm not saying Bowman should have got Man of the Match, just saying he was probably the best in a losing side.
I would have picked King as my Man of the Match, really stepped up in only his second Origin game. One of the best I've seen him play.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Random_87 said:
Brilliant by the blues. But Menzies deserves a wrap, he had to change his game a bit and played well. Mat King and Cooper were Amazin. The whole team was pretty impresive, But how Greedy is Gasnier? If you watch the replay he wasnt lookin for support, and it was lucky that Slater tackled him low and he got to offload. Gasnier wanted to score that himself and if Slater took him high it would of been no try. Now just drop Ryles for O'Meley and we should be set! (ohh and somebody get Bailey fired up, he was a little off in his hit ups tonight.)

Go the Blues!
Actually, if you look at the replays, Cooper got into trouble with the defender, and thats why Gasnier took off, because he must've though Cooper got caught, Cooper got free and took off as soon as Gasnier sprinted, and probably got the late call to Gasnier.

I doubt those two would be fighting for possession or tries, but its one hell of a potent side with those two on the same wing.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Awww, just missed out :(

Yeah. I wouldn't be dropping Anthony Minichiello at all. And that's despite me being a Dragons supporter and recognising that this guy called Ben Hornby is something special.

My squad for Origin III:

1. Minichiello
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Rooney (if fit). Grothe Jnr if not.
6. Barrett (if fit). I guess we'd have to go with Anasta again if Baz isn't ready.
7. Johns (if fit ... he'll probably get injured for Newcastle this Sunday :S). That's sarcastic *touches wood*
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Ryles
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Kennedy

14. Wing
15. Simpson/O'Meley (depending on O'Meley's form and fitness in three weeks)
16. Ryan
17. Menzies (regardless of Watmough's form over the next three weeks, Menzies played himself into a bench spot for SOOIII, I feel)

Anyone disagree?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
whats with all the anti-minichello sentiment, he wasnt at his best tonight but how can you honestly say you'd have hodgeson,peachy, or hornby at fullback in origin 3?
I'm not saying I would rather somebody else (although I would rather have Hodgson there, because I am a fan of his), but Minichiello sucked tonight. He scored two tries but they were pretty effortless and almost anybody could have scored them. He was sloppy and error-prone. In fact, he had the most errors in the game from both sides.
He also had the most errors from both sides in Origin one!

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DRAGONZ again.
What do you mean?

Constip8edSkunk said:
whats with all the anti-minichello sentiment, he wasnt at his best tonight but how can you honestly say you'd have hodgeson,peachy, or hornby at fullback in origin 3?
I knowhe wasnt at his best, and i did admit hes a good player, but hes not a playmaker like Hornby or peachey (not so much Hodgson) but he does hog the ball a bit to much for my liking. I think that Hodgson or Hornby would be great at full back, i know it wont happen but they would pass the ball more and i think it would add another dimension to the NSW game, especially if it were Hornby.

And as for the Peach, that was me, more or less, trying to give him a wrap for agood game on the weekend. I dont know if anyone saw it but he was pretty good..... it was more or less the inner shark fan that made me say it.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeh hornby is a great player, maybe gasnier can convince mini to lend him his mobile again

edit: minichello is best fullback because of what he does in that position, with joey, barret/anasta, wing and to some extent buderus, you don't need another ball player... you need a someone who is safe under the high ball, safe at the back, can tackle, can break tackles and lines, and can score tries. there's no one better suited to the job than minichello

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
bazookajoe said:
I'm not saying Bowman should have got Man of the Match, just saying he was probably the best in a losing side.
I would have picked King as my Man of the Match, really stepped up in only his second Origin game. One of the best I've seen him play.
King was truly amazing. His first twenty minutes was the best I've seen a winger play in Origin for years. He took hitups for the forwards. He defended stoutly. He saved tries. It was something special.

And what about the smile on his face after the game? God I felt proud to be a New South Welshman after the siren.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Actually, if you look at the replays, Cooper got into trouble with the defender, and thats why Gasnier took off, because he must've though Cooper got caught, Cooper got free and took off as soon as Gasnier sprinted, and probably got the late call to Gasnier.

I doubt those two would be fighting for possession or tries, but its one hell of a potent side with those two on the same wing.
If thats right then my bad. Burt i still think Gasnier is greedy.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Random_87 said:
What do you mean?
I think Constip8edSkunk tried to give me rep points, but he couldn't because he gave me some a couple of weeks ago. If you understand how that all works... I don't really know how the system operates.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ i dont wanna disappoint you but round 20 will be a SHARKS VICTORY :).

Should be a hell of a game if we can pick up form again, i think 2 of the 3 games the sharks play before then are against the Rabbitohs and the knights.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Random_87 said:
If thats right then my bad. Burt i still think Gasnier is greedy.
Yeah, Coops was being held back by Thurston as he was in support of Gaz. It took Coops a couple of seconds to just push Thurston away with his right arm, and then take off after Gaz.

I think Gaz did the right thing, despite it looking suspect.

He definitely wasn't going to try and step Slater due to his injury. And he didn't want to run the risk of passing too early to Coops.

Re the person who said Slater would have stopped the try by going high.... from memory, Gaz had the ball under his left armpit, so he would have easily been able to fend Slater off with his right hand.

Either way, Gasnier trusted in his own ability, and it came off.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeap, thats the team id be taking into origin 3, barring mishap.

Menzies showed some people are designed for origin.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
As i said before, Menzies was bloody good....

ohh and thanks for explaining that Dragonz ;)

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Despite Bowman being excellent in defence (Gasnier's step, although affected by his injury, was thwarted every time), Joey's orchestration of the NSW side was directly responsible for the victory. His ability to raise the bar by so much in the second half (when it was feared he would get exhausted due to only nine games in two years) showcased how badly he wanted to win tonight.

Total wins for Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus in 10 months = 1
Yeh Joey played such a great game tonight- he is definitely worthy of man of the match. He assited in almost all tries, and his kicking game was superb. Its funny how people doubted he would perform, but he played so unbeleivable well. So congrats to him, and congrats to blues for beating Qld.

Oh, and i dnt think its Buderu's first win in 10 months- joey's but not buderus- im sure?

Random_87

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Re the person who said Slater would have stopped the try by going high.... from memory, Gaz had the ball under his left armpit, so he would have easily been able to fend Slater off with his right hand.
yeah but he didnt even look like fending..... anyway i dont wanna argue, if it was Mellor or vagana id defend him.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
th knights havent won a single trial or nrl game, so last win for buderus would be rd 26 last year which is just under 10 months ago i think, you'd have to go further back to find when johns last won .... lol

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
oh and how good was Matt King? He was awesome, Menzies too :D Mini was abit off- but he got two tries so im happy .

And im also happy Carl Webb got injuried- serves him right for being a dick.

What do u people think of Anasta' performance tonight? i thought he was alright, though there were times when i was psd off at him- but generally fine i guess.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
th knights havent won a single trial or nrl game, so last win for buderus would be rd 26 last year which is just under 10 months ago i think, you'd have to go further back to find when johns last won .... lol
im thinking anzac test or tri-nations wins for buderus lol. i reckon that would be under 10 months. Ohhh and i just realised, its only been one win for hagan- and that was the first SOO lol.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Great performance by Johns, he had a hand in everything. Big wraps for Matt King in defense, he was awesome. Other standouts for NSW was the BEAVER and of course Ben Kennedy doing the hard yards. Steven Price was definately missed, Webb is better off the bench in origin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)