• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State of Origin Thread (1 Viewer)

who is going to win the state of orgin??

• blues

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • marrons

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
lets not also forget kite, morrison, menzies(who absolutely deserved 18th man, edging out anasta), ben creagh, tupou, gallen,....

personally i'd have prefered waterhouse as he brings some flexibility to the bench, who's gonna sub for ryles or bailry when they come off? there would be 5 2nd rowers on the field.
In reference to who's going to come on for Luke Bailey or Jason Ryles, both Steve Simpson and Andrew Ryan have played in the front row before. They will almost certainly be the replacements for the two Dragons boys.

Look at the second rowers in the starting line up:

Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon are 80 minute players. They don't particularly need to be taken off, unless something drastically wrong is happening.
Ben Kennedy at lock can also play 80 minutes, but Watmough and Wing can both be used at lock.

If there had been other capable front rowers in the competition, Menzies probably would have been selected over Andrew Ryan based on form. However, the current state of front row stocks for NSW must be at some sort of all time low.

Who do we have? Ryles and Bailey are the two best by a huge distance. Ashton Sims and Justin Poore (also at the Dragons) are up and coming front rowers, and Sims in particular could well become a superstar up front. Joel Clinton reminds me too much of Phil Bailey -- a one-hit wonder. Ryan O'Hara got injured at the beginning of the season, and he was tipped for a big season this year. Brent Kite would have been selected, but since he went to Manly, he has trimmed down a bit. I think the selectors were worried that his slimmer figure would be absolutely thumped and dominated by the larger QLD pack.

On your point about possible second rowers... Morrison is probably one of the unluckiest second rowers ever. He is playing in an era where NSW seem to have a never-ending supply of quality second rowers. Don't forget that Willie Mason was injured for this whole series too. If this was ten years ago, or possibly in another ten years, Morrison would probably be an automatic selection.

Gallen can also consider himself desperately unlucky, for he is in career-best form.

Ben Creagh and Anthony Tupou are two players of the future for NSW. These two will get their turn soon, and they will not disappoint. Along with Sims, Poore, and (who's the young prop down in Canberra with huge wraps on him?), we have an able front row for the future. Creagh, Tupou, and Dean Young will provide a capable and very damaging second row. Michael and Ennis and Robbie Farah will battle for hooker (and an older Craig Wing will still be around). That looks like a very decent forward pack.

The future is good for NSW, and the present is also good.

Blues by 4 in SOOI up at Suncorp.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
No doubt fitzy and hindmarsh are 80 minute players, but can they withstand the QLD pack this time around? It's huge, QLD by 2 in a tight one.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
copious said:
No doubt fitzy and hindmarsh are 80 minute players, but can they withstand the QLD pack this time around? It's huge, QLD by 2 in a tight one.
The QLD pack is 621 kg, plus 318 off the bench

while NSW is 622 kg, plus 305 off the bench

The QLD bench is strong, but i'm suprised their starting pack isnt bigger than NSW

QLD by 7

*mel*

Suney_J said:
The QLD pack is 621 kg, plus 318 off the bench

while NSW is 622 kg, plus 305 off the bench

The QLD bench is strong, but i'm suprised their starting pack isnt bigger than NSW

QLD by 7
ooh a state of origin thread! which smarty pants thought of this?

wow it's so weird how close those two starting packs are. i woulda thought qld wouldn't been much bigger than nsw.

umm lemme think... NSW by 12

*mel*

DRAGONZ said:
In reference to who's going to come on for Luke Bailey or Jason Ryles, both Steve Simpson and Andrew Ryan have played in the front row before. They will almost certainly be the replacements for the two Dragons boys.

Look at the second rowers in the starting line up:

Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon are 80 minute players. They don't particularly need to be taken off, unless something drastically wrong is happening.
Ben Kennedy at lock can also play 80 minutes, but Watmough and Wing can both be used at lock.

If there had been other capable front rowers in the competition, Menzies probably would have been selected over Andrew Ryan based on form. However, the current state of front row stocks for NSW must be at some sort of all time low.

Who do we have? Ryles and Bailey are the two best by a huge distance. Ashton Sims and Justin Poore (also at the Dragons) are up and coming front rowers, and Sims in particular could well become a superstar up front. Joel Clinton reminds me too much of Phil Bailey -- a one-hit wonder. Ryan O'Hara got injured at the beginning of the season, and he was tipped for a big season this year. Brent Kite would have been selected, but since he went to Manly, he has trimmed down a bit. I think the selectors were worried that his slimmer figure would be absolutely thumped and dominated by the larger QLD pack.

On your point about possible second rowers... Morrison is probably one of the unluckiest second rowers ever. He is playing in an era where NSW seem to have a never-ending supply of quality second rowers. Don't forget that Willie Mason was injured for this whole series too. If this was ten years ago, or possibly in another ten years, Morrison would probably be an automatic selection.

Gallen can also consider himself desperately unlucky, for he is in career-best form.

Ben Creagh and Anthony Tupou are two players of the future for NSW. These two will get their turn soon, and they will not disappoint. Along with Sims, Poore, and (who's the young prop down in Canberra with huge wraps on him?), we have an able front row for the future. Creagh, Tupou, and Dean Young will provide a capable and very damaging second row. Michael and Ennis and Robbie Farah will battle for hooker (and an older Craig Wing will still be around). That looks like a very decent forward pack.

The future is good for NSW, and the present is also good.

Blues by 4 in SOOI up at Suncorp.
You're amazing!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
anyways...

NSW
--------

fullback - anthony minchello
wing - matt king
centre - matt cooper
centre - mark gasnier
wing - luke rooney
5/8th - trent barrett
1/2 back - brett kimmorley
lock - ben kennedy
second row - craig fitzgibbon
second row - nathan hindmarsh
prop - jason ryles
hooker - danny buderius (c)
prop - luke bailey

interchange - craig wing
steve simpson
andrew ryan
anthony watmough

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
QLD
--------

fullback - billy slater
wing - ty williams
centre - shaun berrigan
centre - paul bowman
wing - matt sing
5/8 - darren lockyer (c)
1/2back - johnathan thurston
lock - tonie carroll
second row - brad thorn
second row - michael crocker
prop - petro civoniceva
hooker - cameron smith
prop - steve price

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Newcastle and their players deserve to get some recognition for the huge effort they have kept putting in week after week this last month.
All i can say is i wish they hada one on Sunday, it was a great game, and it would b hard to loose every game, but it is coz they really do sux, they have some really good players, but most of the time they lack teamwork

*mel*

omg can you believe it? one week till State of Origin!! ahhh im so excited!

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
angelduck said:
All i can say is i wish they hada one on Sunday, it was a great game, and it would b hard to loose every game, but it is coz they really do sux, they have some really good players, but most of the time they lack teamwork
Haha. In that case, Dragons by forty six THOUUUUUsand this Saturday night :p

And seriously:

Dragons 38 defeat Knights 14

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
Haha. In that case, Dragons by forty six THOUUUUUsand this Saturday night :p

And seriously:

Dragons 38 defeat Knights 14
lol i seriously want the kngihts to win this weekend but it doesnt seem like thats gonna happen with buderus gone for State of origin...but u neva know- damn dragons are annoying me :( i want them to LOSE....but not as much as i want the Broncos to lose- grrrr bunch of wankers seriosuly, if they win the premiership this year-i think im goin to scream...

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
oh yeh...go the BLUES!:D so happy braith anasta wasnt picked...stupid attention seeker- as IF he wants to go to rugby union- its just an attempt to get better offers. i haev a feeling hes goin to stay with the dogs...hmm

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
wtf is up with slater being picked over weeser, thats cool by me but he is one of the best fullbacks un the league. All the better for the blues!!!

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
**MeL**88 said:
omg can you believe it? one week till State of Origin!! ahhh im so excited!
Isn't it exciting? Last year my highlight of the season was SoO1. This year it'll probably be SoO2, coz everything's better in N.S.W :D.

Knights_chick

DRAGONZ, you are the first Dragons supporter I have seen that actually has some brains about them.
I was surprised that Simpson got picked, but he has played really well in a team who cannot seem to do anything right. Like DRAGONZ said, he was one of the best second rowers in the game until that crappy run with injuries. He deserves his spot.

GO THE BLUES.
BUDERUS WILL LEAD THE BOYS TO VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)