• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Staying a virgin until marriage (guys) (2 Viewers)

thrillkiller

HSC
People should be able to make their own decisions without being questioned or criticized if they arent hurting anyone then just let it be

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I was saying that nothing is real, everything is a figment of my imagination.
Well you could start by defining "everything".

I could come up with an infinite number of claims about anything without a single shred of evidence, and you are telling me they are all true until someone can prove it wrong. It just doesn't make sense to work that way.
First of all there is "evidence" for Christianity. For example, the bible. So Christianity isn't based on anything without "a single shred of evidence".

I think you've missed my point. People in this thread were saying that Christianity is outright false without providing any justification. I never said that it should be taken as true. All I was saying is that you cannot say that it is false.

It all depends on perspective. A christian would obviously testify that God is real and so forth. But a person against Christianity would say that there is no God. The latter cannot say that without proving conclusively that there is no God.

One thing that's worth noting is that a christian too cannot conclusively prove that there infact is a God. Of course they can believe that there is still one and can be justified through their own personal experiences and this is where faith comes into play.

RANK 1

HSC

First of all there is "evidence" for Christianity. For example, the bible. So Christianity isn't based on anything without "a single shred of evidence".

I think you've missed my point. People in this thread were saying that Christianity is outright false without providing any justification. I never said that it should be taken as true. All I was saying is that you cannot say that it is false.

It all depends on perspective. A christian would obviously testify that God is real and so forth. But a person against Christianity would say that there is no God. The latter cannot say that without proving conclusively that there is no God.

One thing that's worth noting is that a christian too cannot conclusively prove that there infact is a God. Of course they can believe that there is still one and can be justified through their own personal experiences and this is where faith comes into play.
yeh and thats where atheists who try to get them to justify their belief comes into play

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Can you honestly say there is more reason for a god to exist based on old scriptures, then a new one?Part of the aspect of Jhedism is that we respect each others religions (including athisem)also, BUMPoh ad getting back to the origional topic, unless your marrying a highly religious female (which make up 0.01%) of the earth, get laid when your in any commited relationship, or if you want to go on a one night stand go ahead however its the one night stand some female frown upon..
Then why do most of them try to convert me? And in the old testament it states that non-believers should be stoned and if a whole village of non-believers is present to kill the whole village by the sword and murder their livestock.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
People should be able to make their own decisions without being questioned or criticized if they arent hurting anyone then just let it be
Yes, but they shouldn't be allowed to make stupid assumptions about how they're somehow more moral than someone else just because they CAN'T get sex before marriage.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

But by reading the Bible and realising how much is false and supposed to be tales to guide adherents or parables or whatever, then why should I single thing in the Bible be believed as true? Who is there to decide which parts are true and which are false?
If an overwhelming majority is clearly false then why not assume the whole thing is?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
But by reading the Bible and realising how much is false and supposed to be tales to guide adherents or parables or whatever, then why should I single thing in the Bible be believed as true?
Again, there is a point being missed.

You can believe whatever you like. But you cannot say that there is no God without having conclusive evidence to justify your claim.

If an overwhelming majority is clearly false then why not assume the whole thing is?
I'm not sure what you mean by "overwhelming majority" but there are many things that are in fact true. One example is pi being 3. Therefore you cannot assume that the whole thing is false (since I have "proved" that at least one thing IS true).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Again, there is a point being missed.

You can believe whatever you like. But you cannot say that there is no God without having conclusive evidence to justify your claim.
Maybe there is a god (there isn't) but it would be highly improbably for a "perfect" Christian god to exist as the god in the Bible and other Christian teachings and scriptures is said to be perfect when clearly they/it/him/her are/is not.
This clear paradox shown through the direct teachings of the tradition show that the belief in such a thing is absurd and anyone that does not see that may as well blindly follow their faith because it is clear they have no idea what is going on.

I'm not sure what you mean by "overwhelming majority" but there are many things that are in fact true. One example is pi being 3. Therefore you cannot assume that the whole thing is false (since I have "proved" that at least one thing IS true).
An overwhelming majority of the tales that be told in the bible are believed by Christians to be false. That is what I meant.
Pi isn't 3. What wrong you?
Wait, but what in the Bible can you prove is true? That a magic sky giant caused plagues even though there is clear evidence it was just a seasonal change? That some random Jew turned water into wine, then died, and came back to life, apparently as a new man (which could've meant it was someone else) but had the wounds of Christ (stigmata) so it must've been him, right? Especially when there is next to no historical evidence to support any of these things.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

I can say that God is not real because there is nothing ~to give evidence to the fact~ that it exists. There is no logical inference to be made because it defies logic. Quantum physics is a completely different ball game with its own set of mechanics, not traditional logic and there is still *evidence* for quantum physics and its mechanics. There is none for God.

There is no concrete evidence for anyone's supernatural God. The Bible is not fucking evidence either because it is "true" because God says it is. You can't prove something exists with itself. "God exists because he says he does" is not evidence.

Belief in the supernatural is based on faith, which in itself is *by definition* unscientific. That's fine, believe in your sky wizards and magic but don't force your insanities on other people's actions.

but anyway, cutemouse, although it's a boring topic to troll you did fairly well

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
That's the process of scientific discovery

1 - Hypothesis

2 - Logic support hypothesis

3 - lots of evidence gathering and testing of hypothesis in correlation with logic

4 - proof to the contrary or proof in accordance to hypothesis and logic

The existence of God loses legitimacy at stage 2

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I can say that God is not real because there is nothing ~to give evidence to the fact~ that it exists.
Again the onus is on you to prove that there is no God.

Also you said before that if one made a claim about something then they'd need to prove it. Then by your own "rule" since you are making a claim that God is not real then you'd need to prove it. And this is just going by what you're saying.

I also refer you back to Fermat's last theorem. It wasn't proved until 1995. Are you saying that before 1995 one could claim that it was false?

thrillkiller

HSC
Yes, but they shouldn't be allowed to make stupid assumptions about how they're somehow more moral than someone else just because they CAN'T get sex before marriage.
whos making stupid assumptions now?

and yes they can, people can think and feel how they want its not up to you to tell someone how they can feel.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Again the onus is on you to prove that there is no God.
Lol, you can't read.
Something is said to exist must be proven to exist, such as the claim of gravity, it can be proved because we are drawn to the earth and the earth to the sun and this is visible from what we can see through telescopes and shit, BUT to disprove gravity, all that must exist is a lack of evidence for it because if it does not exist then the only way you can disprove it will be a lack of evidence because there is no way to interact with something that isn't there and something that does not exist, so no test we could do would disprove god because there is nothing to prove it/him/her/magician extraordinaire.

Also you said before that if one made a claim about something then they'd need to prove it. Then by your own "rule" since you are making a claim that God is not real then you'd need to prove it. And this is just going by what you're saying.

I also refer you back to Fermat's last theorem. It wasn't proved until 1995. Are you saying that before 1995 one could claim that it was false?
As above.
And it's not his own rule, it is scientific and logical practice. If you don't believe in scientific practice then you may as well get off the computer and go live in a cave somewhere without technology.

Yes, you should claim everything without enough proof is false. That's scientific practice. Remember when we thought the solar system and the universe was geocentric? That was a belief taught by the church (even after Galileo had almost perfect evidence against it) are you saying we should believe that, just because that as Christians we were taught this even though there was no evidence.

whos making stupid assumptions now?

and yes they can, people can think and feel how they want its not up to you to tell someone how they can feel.
You.
Although I will admit we are all humans and make stupid assumptions sometimes.

Well, if they do then they should read up on their stupid morals and figure out what they're actually believing in before they try and force their shit onto me.

P.S. As jameslast said before, if he could get sex he probs would. So, I connected the dots and assumed the case was the same for all you "morally righteous" Christians.

thrillkiller

HSC
You.
Although I will admit we are all humans and make stupid assumptions sometimes.

Well, if they do then they should read up on their stupid morals and figure out what they're actually believing in before they try and force their shit onto me.

P.S. As jameslast said before, if he could get sex he probs would. So, I connected the dots and assumed the case was the same for all you "morally righteous" Christians.
who the heck is trying to force their beliefs on you calm down

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
who the heck is trying to force their beliefs on you calm down
EVERYONE!
Part of the human condition is that we have some care as to what other people think of us and you pretending like you are more moral because of your beliefs and shoving that in my face is grose.

thrillkiller

HSC
EVERYONE!
Part of the human condition is that we have some care as to what other people think of us and you pretending like you are more moral because of your beliefs and shoving that in my face is grose.
ok when did i pretend i was moral and shove it in your face?! i posted on herE with my opinion and then people questioned me about it and i answered. i never said everyone should do what im doing or youre disgusting and wrong for not being like me. i can understand and respect that not everyone is gonna share the same thought and beliefs as me but i never said i am better than any of you or anything like that

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Lol, you can't read.
Something is said to exist must be proven to exist, such as the claim of gravity, it can be proved because we are drawn to the earth and the earth to the sun and this is visible from what we can see through telescopes and shit, BUT to disprove gravity, all that must exist is a lack of evidence for it because if it does not exist then the only way you can disprove it will be a lack of evidence because there is no way to interact with something that isn't there and something that does not exist, so no test we could do would disprove god because there is nothing to prove it/him/her/magician extraordinaire.
Let me ask you a question. Do you believe that climate change is real?

And it's not his own rule, it is scientific and logical practice. If you don't believe in scientific practice then you may as well get off the computer and go live in a cave somewhere without technology.
You didn't read my response properly. If his "rule" (or what you call "scientific and logical practice") must be followed then by that same "rule" he too, when claiming that there is no God, must prove that indeed there is no God.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
ok when did i pretend i was moral and shove it in your face?! i posted on herE with my opinion and then people questioned me about it and i answered. i never said everyone should do what im doing or youre disgusting and wrong for not being like me. i can understand and respect that not everyone is gonna share the same thought and beliefs as me but i never said i am better than any of you or anything like that
Others in this thread have (jameslast) and many xians in my life have told me how immoral everything is, how everyone is going to hell, etc.
Loving god, sends everyone to hell. Okay.

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe that climate change is real?

You didn't read my response properly. If his "rule" (or what you call "scientific and logical practice") must be followed then by that same "rule" he too, when claiming that there is no God, must prove that indeed there is no God.
I believe that climate change is a natural process that occurs and that the increased CO2 levels caused by man (yes, cause by man, there is evidence for this) could be speeding up this process.

You can't read. Lol

thrillkiller

HSC
Others in this thread have (jameslast) and many xians in my life have told me how immoral everything is, how everyone is going to hell, etc.
Loving god, sends everyone to hell. Okay.
Well i haven't so dont put me in that group of people also in my religion we dont believe in hell so

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)