Strength of 2012 cohorts (1 Viewer)

rockadeli

Smile
HSC
The 2012 cohort at my school are not as strong as our 2011 cohort, to be honest.
Our 2011 cohort moved our school from the bottom of the Top 200 schools to one of the Top 100 schools, so I think that says quite a bit with the standard our 2011 cohort set up for the 2012 class :|

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^^You'll still do well enough in the end.

The 2010 cohort was so boss at my school, got the school to rank 150 thereabouts, lots of high ATARs (highest was 98.8, two others above 98), a couple state ranks. Though the 2011 one wasn't as good overall, there was still some high performers. Few state ranks, and a top ATAR 97.8 is good even if we dropped out of 200.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
So are they a lot more competitive than any other year before them? That probably means a lot smarter too. Maybe we\ll get into the top 10 schools in 2013 in that case? Why, thank you for the compliment :)
Hurlstone = Rank 26 right now.
Despite good cohort, rank < 11 is VERY DIFFICULT considering the quality of students.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I was told HAHS has a ridiculous amount of very heated competition going on for 2013 HSC, not sure about 2012 though
Personally know the guys from the 2013 cohort

Strong at Maths, apparently absolute rubbish at English

2012 should be decent

carpe_diem

HSC
Yeah, everything you said is true to an extent.
Business Studies just really needs a better quality candidature and it's scaling would be at least above average or even average.
I've been really tossing up between Business Studies and Chemistry lately and not too sure if I should change it or keep it.
I was doing the same. I had business down and kept thinking that I should have changed. But now I'm glad I didn't. As everyone said, don't worry about scaling. Just do your best. :)

khfreakau

HSC
baulko 2012 is fairly terrible. if we drop out of the top 5 i'd be unsurprised.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I always thought my cohort ('09) was so much smarter than my school's 2010 cohort. Ended up being mistaken.....

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
English Advanced vs Extension 2 Maths.

Both are uncapped.

I think scaling does matter lol.
My point is that if you're good at a particular subject, it won't matter how it scales because you will still do well unless it is capped such as Senior Science.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
My point is that if you're good at a particular subject, it won't matter how it scales because you will still do well unless it is capped such as Senior Science.
Hey, someth1ng, do you go to Penrith? Is your grade better than Penrith '11? and/or Penrith '13?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Terrible as in mentally or terrible as in lazy-and-cannot-be-bothered ?
Well I doubt that Baulko would be lazy and CBB as much as just simply lacking mentally. As well as that, look at Michaeljennings post on pg5 about the accelerants. Might give you some idea. Could be that there is a huge gap between the top achievers and the not-so or they could have a huge tail. Although I do know a student from that cohort who does punch well above his weight constantly and who even the venerable khfreakau himself said is likely to get .90+

michaeljennings

HSC
Its always hard to tell. For example, most people from our grade actually thought we would drop out of the top 5 because we had a hugeee tail but we ended up coming 3rd

khfreakau

HSC
Khfreakau, d'you know how Baulko '13 is? ;)
from what i've heard the next decent grade is '14. i know '12 is not that great, and i've heard that '13 isn't either, but i think '13 is slightly better than '12. i don't know about relative strength to '11 but if i had to guess, '11 would be stronger.

MiseryParade

HSC
Terrible as in lazy-and-cannot-be-bothered. '13 has a lot of those for sure. :(

from what i've heard the next decent grade is '14. i know '12 is not that great, and i've heard that '13 isn't either, but i think '13 is slightly better than '12. i don't know about relative strength to '11 but if i had to guess, '11 would be stronger.
Agreed. '12 isn't too great, and neither is '13 (my grade), since although we do have a few high achievers, we also have a lot of deadweight at the bottom. '14 seems to be fairly strong though.

Khfreakau, d'you know how Baulko '13 is? ;)
Like I said above, we have a fair number of high achievers, but also a lot of deadweight (read: people who simply don't care) that will drag the entire grade down. It's still a bit early to tell, as most people step up their game during senior years, but honestly, Baulko '13 looks pretty bleak right now as a grade. However, as a cohort, if you're a high enough achiever, we aren't a bad grade to be in altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)