Students Against Scaling - Post Here! (1 Viewer)

tessayu

HSC
the scaling system is designed to discriminate though ... I mean, how else are you going to be able to distinguish the better students from the students who don't perform as well? subjects do have a difference in difficulty level and I do believe that this is reflected in the tertiary application requirements for your chosen field of study ( though you may correct me if I'm wrong ).

the point is, life sucks and the best option is to beat the examiners at their own game. do great in your subjects and you should do great ... regardless of the scaling system. it's like they say, if you can't beat them, join them.

just a suggestion, perhaps work with the system rather than against it ... it'd be better for you and your ATAR :)

spence

HSC
Take, for example, jennieTalia, BoS member and anti-scaling rep. She got a NSW UAI of 96.20 and despite her cough cough slightly euphoric joy and so on about getting into her desired course; she WAS disappointed that she didn't achieve a higher UAI despie eight units of Band Sixes.
Wow, if someone who went worse than she thought thinks it's unfair, then it must be

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Scaling is designed to make it so that if you put the same amount of work in a subject like.. Ancient History as you did in 4u Maths, you'd get the same scaled mark.
So if you got a scaled mark (NOTE: THIS IS NOT A FUCKING HSC MARK. THE SCALED MARK AND THE HSC MARK ARE COMPLETELY SEPARATE, ONE IS CALCULATED BY THE BOARD OF STUDIES AND THE OTHER IS CALCULATED BY THE UAC) of 90 in Ancient History, that would require the same amount of work to get a scaled mark of 90 in 4u Maths. It's just that 4u is SO MUCH HARDER than Ancient History which gives all the 4u people high scaling.
Obviously this isn't 100% perfect, but it's as close as it'll ever be.

Last edited by a moderator:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
scaling is essential. anti-scaling reps are just people who want to rant about "relatively poor uai".

Ishynooshy

HSC
8 units worth of Band 6s tells you nothing about a students rank. You can not expect to estimate her UAI on the basis of this. What subjects was was she doing anyways?

izzy88

HSC
subjects do have a difference in difficulty level and I do believe that this is reflected in the tertiary application requirements for your chosen field of study ( though you may correct me if I'm wrong ).
:)
although completely off topic for the thread-
just possibly correcting you- the ATAR required to get into a course, if that is what you mean by 'tertiary application requirements', has nothing to do with the difficulty of the course- it's about how popular the course is.
Eg. because a science degree as an ATAR of say 75 to get into it does not mean it is easier than a law course which requires 99. It just means more people want to do a law course and less people want to do science.

i'm not sure if that was what you were getting at or not, but i thought i'd just clear it up in any case :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
although completely off topic for the thread-
just possibly correcting you- the atar required to get into a course, if that is what you mean by 'tertiary application requirements', has nothing to do with the difficulty of the course- it's about how popular the course is.
Eg. Because a science degree as an atar of say 75 to get into it does not mean it is easier than a law course which requires 99. It just means more people want to do a law course and less people want to do science.

I'm not sure if that was what you were getting at or not, but i thought i'd just clear it up in any case :)
+1

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Univerities Admission Index, System Changes - A
A cap would be a way of limiting the maximum mark that is able to be achieved in particular courses. A select range of courses would be capped, each to a different individual mark, and the maximum achievable mark in each HSC subject would be the toal possible marks that may be achieved in the external assessment/exam. Capped subjects would include all the Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, Standard English, General Mathematics, Ancient History, Agriculture, Community and Family Studies (CAFS), Design & Technology, Food Technology, Earth and Environmental Science Geography, Information Processes and Technology, Industrial Technology (all streams) Modern History, Personal Devlopment/Health/Physical Education (PD/H/PE), Textiles & Design and Visual Arts. Caps would also be imposed on all Beginners languages other than English (LOTE) courses, a high cap would be imposed on all Continuers LOTE courses and all Background Speakers LOTE courses would also be capped. Non-UAI subjects, e.g. Work Studies would still be available to students looking for a uniquely practical educational experience.
This is even worse then scaling, you're discriminating against subjects that you don't deem to be 'academic' enough. Scaling is a perfectly fine system. Imposing your personal opinion on different subjects isn't. I work damn hard in all my subjects (which do include visual arts and CAFS) and I don't need a year 10 nitwit telling me that these subjects aren't 'worth' as much.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
poor scaling to keep standard english, general maths and business studies on their toes because there is no easy way out.
and bring in the 3u maths and physics

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Scaling does cap a lot of Subjects. Capping basically means 100 aligned =/= 100 scaled. I think Modern is the lowest scaling uncapped subject. Or maybe Bio. But most caps are 99-98, so it doesn't matter.

Schoey93

HSC
This is even worse then scaling, you're discriminating against subjects that you don't deem to be 'academic' enough. Scaling is a perfectly fine system. Imposing your personal opinion on different subjects isn't. I work damn hard in all my subjects (which do include visual arts and CAFS) and I don't need a year 10 nitwit telling me that these subjects aren't 'worth' as much.
LOL, scaling does exactly the same thing. Many subjects have capped marks currently, which implies they aren't worth as much, and these subjects include ones you study.

:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)