Study guides - are they really THAT helpful? (1 Viewer)

DanQ1991

HSC
I've purchased study guides for all the subjects I am completing for my HSC and starting to wonder if they can even help me with my studying.

I had a closer look at my copy of "Excel HSC Studies of Religion I & II" and realised the information isn't as in-depth as the information our teacher gives us. It looks more of 1 Unit standard.

Are study guides, in general, helpful? Do they contain everything we need to know? What are some strategies you use with them and how do you integrate them into your studying program?

xbellax

HSC
Great thread. I've been wondering this too so I look forward to seeing what some pro people do and how they use them effectively :p

Kujah

HSC
N/A
short answer: no.

I'd only use them to get a general outline over the topics or if I'm in need of a cramfest a couple hours before an assessment task.

Yamiyo

HSC
hmm... the only study guide i have is for english, and it wasn't helpful in the slightest.

just getting the textbooks is the way to go, i think.

Kew

HSC
They helped me in some way, but only from the practice/sample questions they provided.

..though that accounted for very little - eg. Biology topics.

If you're a talented student (not saying that I am anyhow), you should have no need to buy them.

runnable

HSC
No. I bought them but never opened them. What a waste.

jennieTalia

HSC
Some are.
I find that the ones called 'topnotes' for english are pretty good, because they are really specific, particularly for extension.

Some are a bit generic, anything sparknote-y is a definate no-no. You also have to remember that everyone else has read it as well... nothing new. Only writing what is in there is a Band 4 max. If you use it as a memory saver though, thats ok. Just to get the basics sort of set in your mind.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
study guides are, simply, guides.

they are kind of like summaries, so they are not indepth like the work your school should be supplying.

some are helpfull..

i didnt use any for year 12, even though i bought some. onlyused em for skimming over concepts..

i mainly use dot point books :D they rock my socks

tau281290

HSC
Some are quite good because they are short, sharp and concise. Then you don't need to read text books that talks about some university stuff thats not even in the syllabus.

HSC
i personally dont find them any more helpful then the notes and sheets we get in class especially in english.

if they help you then by all means use them, but i didnt use any for my hsc this year either and there wasnt anything in those guides that told me something i wasnt already told in class. in fact i found the notes given in class was much more insightful and were actually 'taught' to us...

i think it depends on you a an individual and your teacher i suppose. if your teacher isn't really helping you then you shouldnt be in their class. but if u have no chose then it could provide you with info you are meant to be learning...

poWerdrY

HSC
DanQ1991 said:
I've purchased study guides for all the subjects I am completing for my HSC and starting to wonder if they can even help me with my studying.

I had a closer look at my copy of "Excel HSC Studies of Religion I & II" and realised the information isn't as in-depth as the information our teacher gives us. It looks more of 1 Unit standard.

Are study guides, in general, helpful? Do they contain everything we need to know? What are some strategies you use with them and how do you integrate them into your studying program?
to me, they were absolutely useless. tutoring, study guides everything. maybe they might be for people who actually read them, but having study guides and tutors makes you lazy by giving you a false sense of security.

thommy

HSC
N/A
MacQuarie revision gudies are great, at least in my opinion.

HSC
Good for cramming if you haven't done any work for the whole year.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
nope i bought heaps and didnt use most of them

selling them all now

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
but study guides are more of a comfort thing...its makes me feel better if i just had them there sitting on my shelve

and now im throwing out or my journeys texts

shakky15

HSC
-may-cat- said:
they are useless for humanities
100% agree.

i got excel maths and successone maths. they are helpful, but unfortunately i didnt use them until like 2 days before my exam. they are consice and give practice questions.

unless ur legal/re/english teachers are hopeless, i think what you get in class is far superior.

@who

HSC
In all seriousness. they give general outlines of courses etc. They can be helpful in maths and chem but not for english. Textbooks where the way to go. And reading other ppls notes etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)