Do you listen to music when you study?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

muscleman09

HSC
only reason i listen to music is cause in my house, even if i close the door to my bedroom, the echoes and voices of family outside drive me nuts! but then if i listen to music, i cant concentrate 100%... the only place i have realised i have studied well is in the school library or or late night/early morning when everyone is asleep.

If there's a thread on something similar to this, could u please direct me to it =) thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
only reason i listen to music is cause in my house, even if i close the door to my bedroom, the echoes and voices of family outside drive me nuts! but then if i listen to music, i cant concentrate 100%... the only place i have realised i have studied well is in the school library or or late night/early morning when everyone is asleep.

If there's a thread on something similar to this, could u please direct me to it =) thanks
Why don't you just change your study session time when your house is actually quiet?

I don't really suggesting you listening to music if you cannot concetrate to 100% capacity. But in saying that, I heard that classical music actually help you studying...but I am not entirely sure.

muscleman09

HSC
Yeh i wish my house was empty... but its not ever.
A bigger problem is that were moving houses whilst my Mid yearly exams are on, so in about 8 weeks :'(

hmm ive heard those theories about classical music, but... i just think to my self, id rather absolute silence then listen to it

thnx nyways =)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Why don't you just change your study session time when your house is actually quiet?

I don't really suggesting you listening to music if you cannot concetrate to 100% capacity. But in saying that, I heard that classical music actually help you studying...but I am not entirely sure.
Just be aware that listening to classical music doesn't always help. Wikipedia has an interesting article on that: Mozart effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going to the libary to study is probably the best thing to do.

LordPc

HSC

BS. classical music is quite nice to listen to IMO. but when studying no music is best. you want to be focusing on the material 100%, nothing else. perhaps listen to it to get you relaxed but definately not when studying. you want to replicate exam conditions, and in exams thier aint no music

I also found library a good place to study because you cant really muck around. there arent any distractions available.

same with late night. people are sleeping, cant make much noise, have to sit down and do something quiet, ie study

LordPc

HSC
Just be aware that listening to classical music doesn't always help. Wikipedia has an interesting article on that: Mozart effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going to the libary to study is probably the best thing to do.
mozart effect: something that a guy made up so that he could sell classical music to more people. it was a commercial ploy to make people think they were getting smarter when they were really just getting lighter, oh about $20 dollars lighter.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
mozart effect: something that a guy made up so that he could sell classical music to more people. it was a commercial ploy to make people think they were getting smarter when they were really just getting lighter, oh about $20 dollars lighter.
That's what I thought too :p

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
perhaps try earplugs? or get yourself some stereo headphones (they're the huge ones with cupped ears and block out external noise). generally it is suggested that music without lyrics is good to listen to, because it is the words that our minds tend to focus on.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
No, that was Leapfrog. They were selling these products where parents would immerse their babies in classical music during sleep, which was said to make them smarter when they grow up etc. Obviously not true.
But yeah, Mozart effect is true and exists, increasing spatial awareness temporarily (as the Wiki article probably states).

LordPc

HSC
No, that was Leapfrog. They were selling these products where parents would immerse their babies in classical music during sleep, which was said to make them smarter when they grow up etc. Obviously not true.
But yeah, Mozart effect is true and exists, increasing spatial awareness temporarily (as the Wiki article probably states).
studies go either way on the mozart effect. sometimes it works, othertimes it doesnt.

anyway, if you knew what spatial awareness was, you would know it has so little to do with the hsc that its not worth the time or effort

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol did I ever say it had much to do with the HSC?
Besides, spatial awareness = Thinking outside the square, which is useful in maths, especially four unit even if it's only a bit. But every little bit counts, so yeah I listen to classical music when I study.

LordPc

HSC
Lol did I ever say it had much to do with the HSC?
Besides, spatial awareness = Thinking outside the square, which is useful in maths, especially four unit even if it's only a bit. But every little bit counts, so yeah I listen to classical music when I study.
I dont think you understand the mozart effect.

Stoogey

HSC
I cannot study when it is completely quiet, neither can i study when its noisy or there are people around. I need some kind of music on, so i generally have some soft acoustic guitar music or chillout house playing in the background to help me concentrate.

muscleman09

HSC
I cannot study when it is completely quiet, neither can i study when its noisy or there are people around. I need some kind of music on, so i generally have some soft acoustic guitar music or chillout house playing in the background to help me concentrate.

yeh thats the same with me... no noise = me getting really agitated and when there is too much noise i get angry :S

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
The only music that helps you study is barouqe.

Believe me i tried to study with music in my HSC, it does not work. You can not concentrate, and you do not absorb what you are reading as much

jet

Banned
HSC
I find that any kind of popular music, the lyrics are just too distracting.

Classical music does help. It the sort of music that can just sit in the background, even with a choir or something, which just 'fits in' to the harmonies. Just pick something light. Bach, Beethoven or Mozart is good – especially his requiem. I also listen to John Adams, but you would have to pay for his music – he is still alive. Minimalism is great; because its so repetitive, it kind of falls back after a few bars of the same harmony/rhythm, and you can concentrate.

But, yeah. I does depend on the person. Like, i can deal with watching the TV and studying at the same time. I don't lose my focus. Maybe you could practice that, like, when youre home alone, just put the TV on softly in the background, and it may get you used to the ambient voice your family makes over time. It would also help in an exam – that idiot who makes a mistake then ends up scrunching up 30 pieces of paper right behind you.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
as long as u dont need to concentrate too hard i think its fine to listen to music and study,
e.g. if u already know the content and ur just doing questions for practise, music shouldn't affect u much

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Trance/Heavy-beaty music is bad for study, as it's known to raise your heart rate -> pumps more blood into brain -> rushy head which is really bad for studying.
Classical and stuff is the opposite.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Trance/Heavy-beaty music is bad for study, as it's known to raise your heart rate -> pumps more blood into brain -> rushy head which is really bad for studying.
Classical and stuff is the opposite.
LOL shit. I listen to happy hardcore, vocal trance and hardstyle anthems while I study. It works fine with me.

Unfortunately, listening to classical music makes me go to sleep (probably because I've been listening to 10000bpm music, which contrasts significantly LOL).

Last edited:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I almost always listen to music while I study at home, it blocks out all those 'external' noises consisting of parents talking, bro playing the wii and jumping like a monkey, the tv, etc... but im fine studying at the library without music, I like the sensual silence obtained there lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)