studying 8-10 hrs a day during STUVAC (1 Viewer)

louise08

HSC
What does STUVAC stand for? Sorry haha I'm a little annoying yr 11 girl with lots of questions..

shakky15

HSC
theshortykatt said:
no, its cool.

its student vacation.
the weeks before the hsc, where yr12s are meant to be studying. lol
student vacation or study vacation??

anyway, i frankly dont see how some of u are able to study for 6-8 hours every day.. what motivates you???? and this talk of little 'rewards' .. you mean like watching a tv show or something/??

for me, i set some reward, such as a ps2 game, but then play it anyway (without having achieved a goal) lol.. i need self discipline.. but how/??

danz90

HSC
Today me and 3 others started a study group. It went OK I guess, there was some slight tendencies to procrastinate and talk about other things though lol. Study group is good because you can actually use whatever you have studied to articulate knowledge. Its a good way to exercise what you actually know, refine stuff etc.

I think 6-8 hours of solid and productive study is good. You def need to have a good balance of work and rest.. otherwise you'll burn out for the exams.

erm

HSC
I think 8 hours is just at the threshold of capability.

Any more and:

-you might burn out
-you probably won't be able to do the same the next day

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
shakky15 said:
student vacation or study vacation??

anyway, i frankly dont see how some of u are able to study for 6-8 hours every day.. what motivates you???? and this talk of little 'rewards' .. you mean like watching a tv show or something/??

for me, i set some reward, such as a ps2 game, but then play it anyway (without having achieved a goal) lol.. i need self discipline.. but how/??
Something tangible usually works best

luridlysteph14

HSC
I had someone come to my school and tell us that 6 hours is about a band 4/5, 6 - 8 hours is a band 5/6, and a Band 6 is around 9-10 hours. Any more than that, she said, with breaks and exercise and eating, is your entire day.

Basically, I wake up at 7 and by 9 have everything done. I've done the whole TV, shower, eating, exercise thing (unless it's training, in which case it's got its own block) and then I study for 3 hours. Then break. TV, lunching &tc. Three more hours. Dinner, whatho. After dinner, I'm usually motivated to do something, usually in preparation for tomorrow. So, I'll organise my folders so when I wake up in the morning, I'm not completely blown away by having to figure out what I have to do.

Past papers make the time fly. I mean, 40 minutes has never seemed so fast other than when you're analysing Clueless/Emma. Two past papers and some organisation, and there's 7-8 hours a day. Sweet.

And now I'm going to stop procrastinating on here, and go and finish those Legal notes. Too right.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
"8-10 hours??! That's madness!"

"Madness?? THIS IS STU-VAAAAC!!!!!!"

u-borat

Banned
HSC
wat the fuck is this thread full of?

i mean...how many hours you study determines what band you get in what subject? what the fuck?

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
luridlysteph14 said:
I had someone come to my school and tell us that 6 hours is about a band 4/5, 6 - 8 hours is a band 5/6, and a Band 6 is around 9-10 hours. Any more than that, she said, with breaks and exercise and eating, is your entire day.
But this basically doesn't mean anything unless it's thorough or efficient study. Sure you can "study" all you want but it won't necessarily guarantee you a band 5 or 6 unless you know you're doing proper effective study.

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
if i could do 10 hours id be dead. im struggling for 8. 6 is reasonable
you dont wanna burn out before the HSC though my principle seemed to encourage it.
"When you get to the HSC make sure you have worked as hard as you could, burnt all your fuel, and never stopped."

to me that sounds like killing yourself.
im just doing 4x2hour study blocks each day with an hour between each block

alicia.h

HSC
very true.

well i hope my parents see that aswell. they can be annoying sometimes.

but i hope other people go out for the night so i wont feel as bad!

alisonlovesit

HSC
8-10 hours a day is madness. i believe it is much more beneficial to do 4 hours (or 5) if it is good study (goes in your head). its great if you can concentrate for 8-10 hours of hardcore study but what if your brain turns to mush? it is much better if you learn something new every day and are consistent. there is no point studying 10 hours every day for a week then nothing.

that's my view anyway.

:D

HSC
alisonlovesit said:
i believe it is much more beneficial to do 4 hours (or 5) if it is good study (goes in your head). its great if you can concentrate for 8-10 hours of hardcore study but what if your brain turns to mush?
Yeh I agree. I went to the library today and did about 4 hours, and after that I simply couldn't concentrate any longer. Wanted to do more, but there was no point sitting there wasting my time.

nagiha

HSC
i study from 9am till 5 pm then go home, sleep, and watch all the TV i want!:D

BoyNextDoor

HSC
I actually haven't started studying for the HSC yet....I plan on doing so around the middle of this week.
Basically all of my notes are done, just need to add some stuff for Ancient.

miche11e

HSC
ive started rewriting all of my notes cos i've got heaps of stuff in there that i dont need like the basics of maths which i know backwards, so im getting rid of that stuff and writing my notes with only the good stuff. Im finished doing it for maths, but for phys and SDD im about halfway and re ive just started... eng im trying to ficx my essays, but i cant focus lol

i did some good study today and i watched an episode of supernatural over lunch so it was a good break and i wasnt wasting time. I think i did about 7 hours so far, im going to try to do some more till 9.30 when my show is on lol :D

im gettin there :D

tahlsy31191

HSC
"quality over quantity". You can do everything concisely in a smaller amount of time when you know how to study effectively.
I find studying at night is a lot easier than in the day. So I usually start late afternoon and well into the night.

old.skool.kid

HSC
What do you guys do during your study breaks? I dont think i would be able to study for 2 hours straight, I always get so restless. I usually go and kick the footy around but that doesnt reallty help me unless i do it for ages. So then i just go and watch t.v or something and before i know it ive wasted a couple of hours!!! And i still feel restless cos i havent done anything all day!!

My teacher said skipping was good for study breaks, but i have bad ankles..

danz90

HSC
during breaks.. i might have a snack.. like a piece of fruit and have a good drink of water (people usually get carried away when studying, get dehydrated.. and can come down with a headache).

For lunch.. I usually allow a full 1 hour break. Relax your mind a little... i'd
watch some TV or eat lunch outside and just chill out. Make sure you have a wholesome lunch - DO NOT eat junk during this STUVAC - that is so important.
Junk food makes u really sluggish and does not help your body during this tough period.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
i have about 7 hours timetabled. i'm following my school timetable but with specific topics instead of my regular subjects. it's worked today! mostly...i slept in and missed "first period" haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)