Studying for the SC (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
Well, for exams that don't count towards anything, the only reason I would study is if I thought I would do really really bad in it, hence making me feel dumb and lowering my self-esteem. That being said, there is no need to study for SC. This is because the SC is super easy. It is basically impossible to get below band 5 (well, unless you're a below average student).

P

pLuvia

id like to see someone who "bludged" through ALL the subjects and do NO study at all what so ever get band 6s if someone thinks it SO EASY

RtX

HSC
You only need to study if you wernt recommended for the subjects you have chosen for year 11. If your leaving in year 10, then you may as well try your best.

A l

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, English-literacy, Mathematics and Computing skills do not require much study, but rather plenty of practice using past papers so you can adapt to the exam conditions and the structure of the actual exams. Science plus Australian History and Geography Civics and Citizenship, would be recommended for study since there are raw facts that need to be remembered (although some people already know them off by heart already anyway).
As long as you don't study too intensively and stress your hair out, you'll be fine.

When I was up for the School Certificate exams last year, I was actually doing lots of practice papers and some study, because my trial marks were almost horrendous. I only had two subjects which were at 80 or above in the trials.
It turned out that the school marked really hard on us and I was surprised with my results. I scored three band 6 and two band 5 results.
Too bad the Higher School Certificate isn't like that. The workload from Year 10 to Year 11, jumps sky high even though, paradoxically, you would normally have less subjects to study. Year 11 and Year 12 marks two years of intensive work and study. Sometimes I wish I could relive my junior years...

Enjoy Year 10 while it lasts!!!!! ;)

P

pLuvia

i recommend you dont even bother looking at computer skills test as you dont even get the bloody result back and its a waste of time and can be finished in like 30 mins~

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
We didnt have that computer test when I did it...Have the fixed the History syllabus or is it still as crampacked as before???

I think we were the second year to do the compulsary history, geo, civics and citizenship and it was so stuffed

HSC
yep 2003 SC was rooted, i remember that last question how they tried to almost ball bust you by saying a $100 coat has increased 20% in price then decreased 20% in price whats its final price

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
kadlil said:
i recommend you dont even bother looking at computer skills test as you dont even get the bloody result back and its a waste of time and can be finished in like 30 mins~
Are you for real? You didn't get it back? We got it back on a small piece of paper along with the rest of the School Certificate results. Regardless, you're still correct, it's a waste of time.

P

pLuvia

lol... we never got it back.. which first of all wasted my time, when i could have stayed at home and secondly it only took 30 mins which i came late for.. ahah i guess no one could be bothered with the test and the principal made it sound like the test was so important

HSC
Boxxxhead said:
Are you for real? You didn't get it back? We got it back on a small piece of paper along with the rest of the School Certificate results. Regardless, you're still correct, it's a waste of time.
that "online SC" test not everyone can do, the school i did work placement at, that program wouldnt work on the computers, basically they asked me to go back to school and a week later got back a few hundred peices of old PIIIs and early Willamette cores and I spent about 3 days building ~80 computers

those little shits better not break those computers

HSC
nah they had some trial ones in the years before it was written, it didnt count

P

pLuvia

oh okz.~>~ whats the point of it, the questions are so basic, there was one i remembered that asked what was a "play" sign lol

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Casmira said:
yep 2003 SC was rooted, i remember that last question how they tried to almost ball bust you by saying a $100 coat has increased 20% in price then decreased 20% in price whats its final price
I remember freaking out bcoz the maths paper had "Fibonaci numbers" or something...all the standard people knew it and we had never did it in advanced, I think I eventually figured it out...but it wasted so much time

Our history teachers had such a bad experience with the 02 SC they rushed us through history so fast we finished it a month b4 the trials...madness

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
argh i remember that Fibonaci number question! That was like on the last page of the 2003 SC? I had never learnt that in Advanced :S (although Logical thinking prevailed in the end)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Deus said:
argh i remember that Fibonaci number question! That was like on the last page of the 2003 SC? I had never learnt that in Advanced :S (although Logical thinking prevailed in the end)
Ditto, yeh I think it was the last question and I was like WTF...I figure it out on the end. That was the first maths paper that I found easy, and then that question LOL freaked me out. All the standard people were saying that question was easy and us advanced people were lost

HSC
melsc said:
I remember freaking out bcoz the maths paper had "Fibonaci numbers" or something...all the standard people knew it and we had never did it in advanced, I think I eventually figured it out...but it wasted so much time

Our history teachers had such a bad experience with the 02 SC they rushed us through history so fast we finished it a month b4 the trials...madness
my advanced maths teacher was one crazy bitch, we did the adv maths course in 6 months then we started onto 2u/3u work (actual 2u/3u work, because we didnt have the new syllabus books, im not sure maybe the syllabus hasnt changed for those subjects?) but luckily we touched on fibonacci numbers because our teacher gave us past standard/intermediate papers, he was determined onto getting us to destroy maths, which it worked (see attachment)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Casmira said:
my advanced maths teacher was one crazy bitch, we did the adv maths course in 6 months then we started onto 2u/3u work (actual 2u/3u work, because we didnt have the new syllabus books, im not sure maybe the syllabus hasnt changed for those subjects?) but luckily we touched on fibonacci numbers because our teacher gave us past standard/intermediate papers, he was determined onto getting us to destroy maths, which it worked (see attachment)
I used to complain that maths sucked and that I was sooo crap at maths, that I would fail the SC, my maths teacher said "no advanced student in this skool has ever got below a band 5" I was thinking *I am gonna be the first* he knew exactly what I was thinking and made me a deal I could do general if i got band 4 or less and if I got 5 or above I had to do 2u...unfortuntaly I did get a band 5 and had to 2u grrrr, I did find the maths paper easy but it was still my lowest mark, still it was much better than an advanced paper anyday

*goes to HSC Online to relive SC results* Now If I get something like that for HSC I'll be very happy - I forgot we had to do D&T OMG and Art...I nearly failed becoz I was soooo talentless

English 200 A Excellent
Mathematics Advanced 200 C Substantial
Science 200 B High
Commerce 200 A Excellent
French 200 A Excellent
Computing Studies 200 A Excellent

Design & Technology Satisfactory
Personal Development, Health and P.E. Satisfactory
Visual Arts Satisfactory
Music Satisfactory
Languages Satisfactory

Australian History 100 A Excellent
Australian Geography 100 A Excellent

External Tests
English - literacy 88 5
Mathematics 82 5
Science 89 5
Australian History, Civics and Citizenship 92 6
Australian Geography, Civics and Citizenship 85 5

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)