Stuk between 2 ideas.. (1 Viewer)

UdderMad

HSC
so im kinda stressing about extension 2 beause i havent started yet!
but im thinking of doing a short story...
2 ideas:
praviling fear or soiety -explaining how present day we are full of fear and something will happen to emphasise that.
or
a story of a 17yr old girl who has been disfigured and hanges her perspetive on life eg. was materialisti and self obsessed but now appreiative of others et. also expressing the judging nature of soiety.

any help will be appreiated! thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Remember it has to be deep, and it has to be good - and you must be able to research the form, genre and the like - ensure there are other books that you can read similar to the one you want to compose.

You should start your Journal NOW, which is your musings on the course. Also, you have to do research and determine which is the better idea - and if none are, record it in your Journal and the like.

Remember Short Stories document the aftermath of an event, not the event itself. That's what I was told at least.

The Nomad

HSC
2 ideas:
praviling fear or soiety -explaining how present day we are full of fear and something will happen to emphasise that.
or
a story of a 17yr old girl who has been disfigured and hanges her perspetive on life eg. was materialisti and self obsessed but now appreiative of others et. also expressing the judging nature of soiety.

And writing properly on forums may be a start to your Extension 2 work...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Definitely start your journal now. Right down every idea you have, even if you don't think it is very good. Pick your basic style and theme, and then research it as much as possible. The more you know the better.

Of your two ideas, I like the first one better. However, choose what suits you best, as my opinion may be different to yours.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I don't like the idea of a teenage protagonist. Just putting it out there.

First idea is a lot better, also provides you with a wealth of primary evidence from the media. The idea of a paranoid and fearful society has already been explored extensively in literature (usually with a more definitive political focus- ie 1984, Brave New World) but if you can make it fresh and innovative, the world is your oyster.

Just research, as Absolutezero said. And make sure you utilise the Christmas holidays- there's no excuse not to. I even went on holiday during the Christmas break last year, but I just brought my Ext 2 journal and did some research whilst away.

alax dillon

HSC
im stuck wondering on an idea. i keep thinking something about like two people in a relationship and i cant seem to get past that idea. is it absolutely necessary to have a deep concept, cause im really just wanting to write a story.
or what if i go with something like a crime between a woman and her lover and her husband? im not sure, merely because evertying i think of seems way too cliched or unoriginal

HELP!

Asubmarine

HSC
^ surely if you can recognise that your idea is unoriginal then you can work out what is. It sounds like you don't really want to put in the work that you know you need to do. It's important to remember that EE2 is not just a writing course.. well it is but even that requires alot of research.
Probably best that you start by exploring your form more deeply then hopefully either some new ideas will arise for you, or atleast your original one will evolve.

Wingstroke

Banned
HSC
2 ideas:
or

Both terribly cliche sorry

accio.brain

HSC
im stuck wondering on an idea. i keep thinking something about like two people in a relationship and i cant seem to get past that idea. is it absolutely necessary to have a deep concept, cause im really just wanting to write a story.
or what if i go with something like a crime between a woman and her lover and her husband? im not sure, merely because evertying i think of seems way too cliched or unoriginal

HELP!
well there are lots of things you can do with 2 people in a relationship that doesn't have to be too cliched. if you can find a way to make an often cliched idea more unique, perhaps a slightly different perspective or written really well, then it could work, though you've got to make sure you do it right. as important as it is to strive to create something with depth that markers will like, keep in mind that you have to enjoy it too. if you want to write a story then write a story. you'll probably be able to do it better than a complex idea that's just trying to please everyone else. or maybe write a simple story with a relationship on the side that centers around a deeper look into the human condition or interractions with each other. just use these holidays to experiment with what works and what doesn't, i kept altering my idea up to mid-year.

accio.brain

HSC
2 ideas:
or

i agree that your first idea sounds better, the 2nd is terribly cliched (we all have them, it's okay). but i'm sure quite a few people continue to change their ideas, i know i did. way too much in fact, but i guess it turned out alright. use the holidays, i ditto what alex.leon said, i went away during christmas and took my research and laptop and everything with me, just so i could experiment with what i thought worked and didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)