Subject choices for next year (1 Viewer)

ccc123

HSC
Advanced English
English Extention
General Maths (yay, maths i can understand...as opposed to all this 'advanced' crap iv'e had the misfortune of encountering over the past two years..)
Biology
Modern History
Legal Studies
PDHPE

mohdateeq

HSC
Advanced English
Mathematics Extension 1
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Yr 11 IPT (Already completed in Yr 10)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No economics class for me either. Only around 3-4 people wanted to do it, but that wasnt enough. We have like 2-3 business studies classes.

Black Hawker

HSC
Well I really wanted to do engineering studies, but there was only 8 people...so I chosed economics, but thinking of changing to either Modern History (our schools really good at history), SDD or D&T (more the designing side of it - more towards architecture).

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I dunno about business studies. Didnt select it, but if you did commerce last year and enjoyed it, or have an interest in opening a business in the future, go with it. If not, stay with chem :)

Black Hawker

HSC
Well, Business is the third most chosen HSC subject after English and Maths. I'm interested in opening a business and that's why I chose it. It mainly talks about businesses and their everyday running operations and how to get started...the laws and ideas etc...

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Lucid Scintilla said:
Discourteous and not answering me? Oh, no, you're not being discourteous, nor are you not answering me.

I attend a good school, but not a great one. I don't think that I can't hint it without revealing the school's identity, but I can safely say that it is a selective state school; most school teachers here aren't top-notch, but are make the pass grade, I guess; and the school's demographics is predominantly Asian.
^Sydney Boys High. And Lucid, Sydney High is a great school, with some top notch teachers. Except the Social Sciences staff- they're shat.

Black Hawker

HSC
Hey, do you think it's a good idea to change from Economics to Modern History. I've been getting pretty good results the last 2 years, but the only think I hate is doing speeches...

Could an 06er or an 07er comment on it?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
As a fellow 08er, I'm gonna try and help you :p Do you enjoy history, do you enjoy writing essays? History not all about speeches, but its mainly about writing essays, and using sources.

Or do you enjoy commerce, and things that are associated with the economy? Are you up-to-date with current affairs, and do you enjoy reading about the economy?

basically, it's up to you. look back at your marks, and choose those subjects that you thoroughly enjoy. Dont do subjects that your friends are doing, or dont scale well. At the first weeks of year 11, why dont you try Economics for a while, and if you dont enjoy it, then make the switch :) Also, try getting some feedback from people you know in Modern History classes.

Hope that helps :)

Black Hawker

HSC
Thanks for the advice :D

I don't know if I "enjoy" writing essays, but I tend to pretty good in it. In my yearly History test I got 95% (71.5/75) and bascially 30/30 for both extended response questions - still only came 3rd in grade in the test. Last year I got pretty much the same. But on the other hand I didn't do as good as I thought I did in the SC (89).

Well, with commerce this year I got 71% for my yearly. Some of the topics I enjoy, but others I didn't. On the other hand it might help me with Business Studies as it's pretty much related.

Been having a look through this document (http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2006_table_A1.pdf) and the scaling seems better in economics...

I dunno, in Year 9 I chose History, but after a couple of lessons I changed to Commerce...

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Perhaps you could post in either of the subject forums for help, Black Hawker :p

Having not done either of them, I can't offer much insight into the subjects themselves :p But may I ask why did you choose history in year 9 and changed to commerce instead? Maybe eco would be more interesting to you then :D

mohdateeq

HSC
sikhman said:
yeah...i'm also accelerating (in physics) and i realise that it's pretty good to get 2 units out of the way a year early...
I'm at king's
Yea acceleration is good because it makes it easier to concentrate on other units. I did Yr 11 IPT and 2 Unit Maths in Yr 10 but now I dropped IPT. My school's Sule College (doubt it dat u heard of it).

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Black Hawker it appears as though you'd do well in both subjects, so it's ultimately just a matter of which one you enjoy more. Don't feel obliged to take up Modern just because you're good at it -- if you love Economics, then the effort you put into it is going to pay off.

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Did your school make Top 200 this year? Come on, more hints!
Top 10, in fact.
simonloo said:
^Sydney Boys High. And Lucid, Sydney High is a great school, with some top notch teachers. Except the Social Sciences staff- they're shat.
I think you know who I am now, Simon.
Yeah, SBHS. It's a good school, but it's not as great as it used to be, sadly.:(
NSBHS is also good. Hmm... pfft, fark it. I like the teachers at SBHS.

Curse those freaking bludgers, and burn them in Hell.

My school is great...

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
tamaranadine said:
How do you do an excellerated subject? can you only do it in a selective school? I personally wouldn't be up for it, but loads of my friends continually get 95%- 100% in their exams, yet they stick to the 'normal' way of getting their SC/ HSC
Acceleration programs aren't limited to selective schools. It isn't offered at my school, for example, and I'm fairly certain there are non-selective schools that provide students with the opportunity. I'd imagine you'd have to be very good, though; maybe you have to be approached by a teacher?

Jachie

HSC
Well, those students would appear to have a great advantage, because if they complete 2 or 4 units of the HSC in Year 11, that's 2 or 4 units less to worry about in Year 12. Therefore, they can spend their HSC year concentrating more on their other subjects. So I see the point, and it most definitely has its advantages, I just don't quite understand how a student is provided with the opportunity. Do they ask for it, is it offered to them...?

HSC
N/A
How do you do an excellerated subject? can you only do it in a selective school? I personally wouldn't be up for it, but loads of my friends continually get 95%- 100% in their exams, yet they stick to the 'normal' way of getting their SC/ HSC
See your teachers, and they're bound to tell you.
E-mail them via the DET 'crap' (my opinion; I don't wanna assert it over others) that they've set up, since we're now on hols.

I'm pretty sure that you can do accelerated subjects in non-selective school, but it is quite demanding.

If you're referring to possible HSC accelerated, I'd see a teacher for that, tamaranadine.;)

Ed:
I don't want to sound as though I am degrading the system, but what's the point?
Getting units out of the way, so that you've got free *bludge* periods.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)