Swearing in short story (1 Viewer)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Our english teacher gave us a nice long talk about NOT to use any swear words or anything that can offend the marker in creative writing pieces

I'll avoid it if I were you :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Although EX2 is all about creative expression. If your character would use it, then go for it. Fuck the markers. It's the 21st century, and if they can't handle it then they shouldn't be dealing with young people.

iiinsane02

HSC
From what 3 english teachers teachers have told our classes over the past 2 years is that the average english marker is an old female, so avoid using swear words, even if it is relevant they might get offended, and write something to impress an older audience (lol)
Lol. This is true indeed. They're actually quite conservative.

I personally avoid any use of swear words. Albeit if I were to use it, I believe the Hard-Boiled school of Crime is best suited for course language, sex & drug references.

Well, that's what I believe. It's subjective.

six demon bag

HSC
Lol. This is true indeed. They're actually quite conservative.
That's what we were told too. I got really worried because my reflective journal was heaps like drama logbook - drawings, photos, quotes, lyrics etc and our teacher actually recommended we took that stuff out :|

I left it in though :)

Arthra

HSC
I swore my head off in mine for the first copy. Considering it was a crime story I didn't think that not having swearing would make it seem artificial. By the final copy I cut out all the 'fuck's because my teacher said that was the only swear they'd be worried about.
I used bastard 3 times, arse twise, pissed once, shit 3 times, and bullshit 4 times. My teacher didn't care about me using those words.

pman

Banned
HSC
You can use swearing to set up a delinquent or violent character, but thats about it, or if ur story is about overcoming a language problem, so only if its required for the plot!

MissAmazing

HSC
Thats a pain, because my story kinda needs the swearing ... how should i make it so there is no swearing, but readers still get the point?

Sadiah

HSC
i wouldn't. I remember reading the hsc marking guidelines (cant remember which year). They said a lot of people swore and it was innapropriate and they pretty much suggested don't do it.

O yer. And even if you could swear, still don't do it. You might get a marker that gets offended and you wouldn't want that now, would you?

+1

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thats a pain, because my story kinda needs the swearing ... how should i make it so there is no swearing, but readers still get the point?
If they are necessary to the plot, use the words. It is stupid to reduce the quality of your story in order to censor it. They're only words after all.

ilikebeeef

HSC
**** the DET.

**** the ************** ******** in their ********* cos they're such ******** ******** noobs ****** ***** * like the *************** ****************************** with a spatula!

applerulezd00d

HSC
its okay if its necessary
i doubt you'd be marked down
a girl from a previous year had some cussing in her story yet she got a mark of 48/50
so im guessing its okay

brendroid

HSC
My advice - if you do swear, don't go overboard. Maybe one 'shit' can get through, but nothing more than that. Be inventive - say 'they cursed' or 'they swore beneath their breath' instead of just saying it. We're English students! We know more words than 'shit', I would hope.

Activate

HSC
My advice - if you do swear, don't go overboard. Maybe one 'shit' can get through, but nothing more than that. Be inventive - say 'they cursed' or 'they swore beneath their breath' instead of just saying it. We're English students! We know more words than 'shit', I would hope.
I disagree.

The context of the character reflects the way they speak. So for example, if the character you are writing about is a violent criminal, it would be more effective to have their dialogue consist of a fair bit of cussing. In fact, you'd expect that from a person with a violent background.

That's assuming it's in third person. If the story is in first person it would be a totally different matter. Keep swearing to a minimum.

Overall I believe swearing can be justified if it helps with character development and the dialogue isn't cuss after cuss. For example: "The shit-for-brains lawyer got me doing 10 years hard time" or something to that effect.

brendroid

HSC
Thing is though, the Extension 2 is supposed to see if you have a good understanding of language and ways to manipulate it. It's why you don't do childrens books or have children as first person narrators - you can't manipulate language in complex ways with those mediums or voices. If you do swear too frequently, that isn't showing a very sophisticated use of language.

In situations like the one you laid out though, it should be okay. But if there's a swear word every sentence... that's not the way to go. You'd want to spread it out or use it for emotional impact.

HSC
Uni Grad
You could descibe their menacing features / have them act in rage by doing irrational/violent things to make swearing not necessary at certain times.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I personally wouldn't do it, but then again I'm doing critical.

I got 11/15 for a piece in year 11 that I put one swear word in- my school is very harsh sometimes.

commizar

HSC
ONLY if it's in character and relevant to whatever scene (mainly for emotional impact).
And I wouldn't go overboard with it either.

example: part of my MW is from the perspective of a Red Army officer, and I was reading this memoirs from an eyewitness of someone who'd lived with the red army pretty much, and he quoted this officer whose troops were deserting the battlefield.

"Where are you running, you whores, where? Go forward, for our Motherland, for Jesus Christ, motherfuckers! For Stalin, you whores!!"

Lol I'm really tempted to appropriate that for my character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)