Switzerland ban Mosque Minarets (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A

GENEVA – Swiss voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on minarets on Sunday, barring construction of the iconic mosque towers in a surprise vote that put Switzerland at the forefront of a European backlash against a growing Muslim population.

The referendum by the nationalist Swiss People's Party labeled minarets as symbols of rising Muslim political power that could one day transform Switzerland into an Islamic nation. The initiative was approved 57.5 to 42.5 percent by some 2.67 million voters. Only four of the 26 cantons or states opposed the initiative, granting the double approval that makes it part of the Swiss constitution.

Muslims comprise about 6 percent of Switzerland's 7.5 million people. Many are refugees from the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s and about one in 10 actively practices their religion, the government says.

"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said. They said Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan compared mosques to Islam's military barracks and called "the minarets our bayonets." Erdogan made the comment in citing an Islamic poem many years before he became prime minister.

Anxieties about growing Muslim minorities have rippled across Europe in recent years, leading to legal changes in some countries. There have been French moves to ban the full-length body covering known as the burqa. Some German states have introduced bans on head scarves for Muslim women teaching in public schools. Mosques and minaret construction projects in Sweden, France, Italy, Austria, Greece, Germany and Slovenia have been met by protests.

But the Swiss ban in minarets, sponsored by the country's largest political party, was one of the most extreme reactions.

"It's a sad day for freedom of religion," said Mohammed Shafiq, the chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, a British youth organization. "A constitutional amendment that's targeted towards one religious community is discriminatory and abhorrent." :lol:

He said he was concerned the decision could have reverberations in other European countries.

Amnesty International said the vote violated freedom of religion and would probably be overturned by the Swiss supreme court or the European Court of Human Rights. :hippie:

The People's Party has campaigned mainly unsuccessfully in previous years against immigrants with campaign posters showing white sheep kicking a black sheep off the Swiss flag and another with brown hands grabbing eagerly for Swiss passports.

Geneva's main mosque was vandalized Thursday when someone threw a pot of pink paint at the entrance. Earlier this month, a vehicle with a loudspeaker drove through the area imitating a muezzin's call to prayer, and vandals damaged a mosaic when they threw cobblestones at the building.
try building a Synagogue, Buddhist pagoda, a Hindu Temple or a Church in Saudi Arabia :hammer:

Swiss ban mosque minarets in surprise vote - Yahoo! News

bio_nut

HSC
There's a big backlash amongst the Swiss Youth at the moment, actually. Some interesting discussions on fb (well, if you read German/French).

SVP as usual, lol.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Islamophobia
....dumb dumb

lol
i think 'Nebuchanezzar' will like it there

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I admire the bravery of the Swiss nation for standing up for their rights and not bowing to the pressure of islamic countries.

HSC
N/A
At my last job there was a bunch of British expats working with me....every time they would speak it sounded like shit was coming out of their mouth.

Lailaa

HSC
"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The minaret is not a sign of political power and demand.

There is no forced marriage in Islam.

Islam does not allow genital mutilation of girls.

I'm a Muslim, so i would know.

bio_nut

HSC
"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The associated cultures do, and they seem to take priority over religious niceties.

Allahu Akbar

Banned
HSC
N/A

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You are a shit muslim.
Im better, read my user name

HSC
Good for Switzerland - about time someone gave Islamics a taste of their own medicie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)