Taking things to teachers. (1 Viewer)

hotfiree

HSC
N/A
How many people here take assignments they finish to the teacher to try gain extra marks? Do most teachers allow this?

HSC
N/A
if you feel hard done by there shouldnt be a problem with raising it with your teacher, they'll prob take that to whoever marked it if they think its appropriate

i do it sometimes, especially in english and maths - where you can scab marks for working even if you have the wrong answer.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Hand it into deputy principal = win.

Of course you're allowed to contest your mark, it's YOUR mark and if you feel cheated on then sure go nuts.
But yeah, there are SOME teachers who might even take off a mark for wasting their time, especially if you keep doing it (probably won't apply since most teachers are nice)

hotfiree

HSC
N/A
I think i phrased this wrong i meant after you have done a assignment and want to take it to a teacher before the due date to see if they will help you get extra marks for things you need to change.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Oh, lol.
I'm sure they're technically not allowed to help you with anything with the assignment that'll get you marks.. But then no one listens to that. A teacher will always be willing to give you a helping hand (some more than others) and yes, you will get extra marks if you do show a teacher beforehand, 'cause they'll point out what you need to improve on etc.

terminator69

HSC
I think i phrased this wrong i meant after you have done a assignment and want to take it to a teacher before the due date to see if they will help you get extra marks for things you need to change.
People at my school do this but they disguise it as a different format. eg. we're doing an essay and they hand in a draft "speech" on the same topic to get marked.

jet

Banned
HSC
We do it all the time, but we don't get explicit advice. They kind of point out a general area to fix up etc, though you should be careful as they will then know if you fixed up the assignment.
Its always a good idea to quiz your teacher over and over the lesson before an exam. Never know what you'll discover.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I always give in drafts if i have time available, they can look at it, fix any errors but theyre NOT allowed to give us any sort of mark.
Even with this added advantage, only about 3 or 4 people actually do it, their loss lol

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
If I'm struggling with an assessment task I usually show the teachers a draft. They don't really say how I can get top marks or anything but give me pointers on where I can improve.

Or for maths I will take a stack of problems to the teacher that I can't do that relate to an upcoming test and he shows me how to do them.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
We were told that the BoS had decided teachers are no longer allowed to look over draft essays and give advice, as it would not be considered 'all the students own work'. Our teachers thought it was bullshit and so did we.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My school has a clearly stated policy that teachers are NOT permitted to give any assistance/advice to any student about an assessment task other than general comments that are said in the class to all the students.

We had problems a couple of years ago when a student appealed the fact that one teacher gave advice to a student that other students didn't get and that appeal went to the BOS who advised the school to change the policy to the one above.

If a student came to me (from Year 7 upwards) to ask me to look over their assessment task I have to say No as that is the school policy. Would I like to help - you bet I would - but I am not allowed to.

My students know my user name on here so if I see someone asking questions about a task that I know they are doing for me (or someone else at my school) I simply won't reply either online or personally as it isn't worth my job.

You should check what your school's policy is on this and abide by it as a breach by the teacher can be then used against you.

Asking a teacher to check their marking at the end is fine and I tell my students to do so if they think I have made a mistake and to bring it to my attention during the period that I give it back. I often find that I have added up something incorrectly or made a mistake (by often I mean once or twice a year).

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
for english i take it to my tutor for some feedback

jet

Banned
HSC
for english i take it to my tutor for some feedback
Be very very careful with that. There has been alot of controversy in the past, and I don't think it is worth your HSC.

It should be fine with practice essays. Teachers are there to teach, that is their job. And helping develop an effective and synthesised essay, or question in the case of other subjects, only helps to make you a better student. I see no reason why teachers should refuse. It would be like an accountant refusing to do your taxes (for want of a better analogy at midnight).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Be very very careful with that. There has been alot of controversy in the past, and I don't think it is worth your HSC.

It should be fine with practice essays. Teachers are there to teach, that is their job. And helping develop an effective and synthesised essay, or question in the case of other subjects, only helps to make you a better student. I see no reason why teachers should refuse. It would be like an accountant refusing to do your taxes (for want of a better analogy at midnight).
Well, it might be argued that the task that you are handing in for a marking is directly related to school assessment that might be coming up. In that way, it might be unfair for other people...

jet

Banned
HSC
Well, it might be argued that the task that you are handing in for a marking is directly related to school assessment that might be coming up. In that way, it might be unfair for other people...
Lol. Though, one might also argue that, in the case where a whole class hands up a practice essay or task to cap off a topic, then it is not considered unfair, as all the students are getting advice in the same area.
Though, I must acknowledge that things are very grey these days. In our school, we get given a practice task to do, due on a certain date, and the teacher collects them all and gives them a mark. Its how we learn to do essays. I guess thats what i'm used to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)