The Australian Flag (1 Viewer)

Should it stay or should it go?

• Keep it

Votes: 42 46.2%
  • Change it

Votes: 49 53.8%

• Total voters
HSC
Personally, this is a different to the Republic/Monarchy debate, and there didn't seem to be a previous thread, so here we go.

According to traditional flag design, having the flag of a foreign nation on your flag indicates subordination, so there's no reason to have the Union Flag on our own.

Secondly, some people say having the Union flag symbolises our history. This is true, but what about the many thousands of colonial immigrants from other nations of the world? And what about the original inhabitants of the land? If our British history is going to be put on our flag, why not put the Aboriginal, German, Chinese, and other flags on ours?

Of course, our flag is not a history book, so it has no obligation to show part of our history.

And no, our troops did not "fight for the flag". Armies have not taken flags into battle for a couple hundred years. And remember that the current flag was only adopted in 1954. In the World Wars and others, Australian troops fought under the British Flag, as well as the Red Ensign.

In fact, before 1954, the Red Ensign was the civilian Australian flag, the Blue Ensign was only for use by the Government.

My suggestion? The Federation Flag, which is actually older than the current flag, with the Union Flag removed:

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
dude, WTF. what kind of flag is that!? its fucking blue. australia = green and gold.

HSC
No, Australia's sporting colours are green and gold. A green and gold national flag would look cartoonish.

Could also swap the colours, white cross* and blue background and stars.

*Not meant to have any religious meaning.

Charizard

HSC
I like the idea of a green and yellow flag, because that's the colours i think best represent the country.

Don't know about the kangaroo though, semes a bit try hard lamish.

The OP flag concept isnt bad either, but would need a bit of extra something.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
According to traditional flag design, having the flag of a foreign nation on your flag indicates subordination, so there's no reason to have the Union Flag on our own.
Perhaps a reason other than 'traditional flag design/to represent subordination', i.e. That there is a historical connection?

This is true, but what about the many thousands of colonial immigrants from other nations of the world? And what about the original inhabitants of the land? If our British history is going to be put on our flag, why not put the Aboriginal, German, Chinese, and other flags on ours?
The nation of australia, its laws etc as we know it today are derived from great britain, there is no greater influence.

Of course, our flag is not a history book, so it has no obligation to show part of our history.
No it's just a symbol that we use to quickly identify our nation... The current one seems fine for this purpose.

And no, our troops did not "fight for the flag". Armies have not taken flags into battle for a couple hundred years. And remember that the current flag was only adopted in 1954. In the World Wars and others, Australian troops fought under the British Flag, as well as the Red Ensign.
Our soldiers have worn the current flag into a bunch of wars on their uniform.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Trampoline Man said:
No, Australia's sporting colours are green and gold. A green and gold national flag would look cartoonish.

Could also swap the colours, white cross* and blue background and stars.

*Not meant to have any religious meaning.
i think a green and gold flag could look ok if they used toned-down shades, not the fluoro lime-green crap that's used on all the sporting stuff. but australia's traditional heraldic colours are blue and gold, i believe.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Charizard said:
I like the idea of a green and yellow flag, because that's the colours i think best represent the country.

Don't know about the kangaroo though, semes a bit try hard lamish.

The OP flag concept isnt bad either, but would need a bit of extra something.
Agreed. I like the first one. It looks pretty alright. But it lacks a large degree of complexity and sophistication that our current flag holds.

HSC
Enteebee said:
The nation of australia, its laws etc as we know it today are derived from great britain, there is no greater influence.

Yes, it is the greatest influence, but not the only one, and being the only one represented on our flag devalues the contributions of others.

And I've looked at historic Army uniforms here:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/australian-2.htm

I can only see the flag on the most recent uniforms.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Trampoline Man said:

No. Australia's NATIONAL colours are green and gold - officially since 1984.

One of the only change of flag I could take, and the best proposal I've seen so far:

HSC
shannonm said:
No. Australia's NATIONAL colours are green and gold - officially since 1984.

One of the only change of flag I could take, and the best proposal I've seen so far:
So you're right, I always thought green and gold was just a traditional set for sports, and blue and gold were the more official colours.

Still doesn't change my opinion that they don't make good flag colours.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Trampoline Man said:
Yes, it is the greatest influence, but not the only one, and being the only one represented on our flag devalues the contributions of others.
It does devalue the contributions of others but only by virtue of the fact that it recognises the great contribution of great britain. If we 'included' the others then it would devalue the contribution of great britain and their contribution to australia ('legal' formation, laws, governance, civil structure, vast majority of populations heritage everything without which there would be no need for a flag).

I think the only other people that deserve some sort of special recognition may be the aboriginal people as a part of reconciliation and for that reason I'm open to the idea of the aboriginal flag being flown on occasion on the national level.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Btw if you want to get technical we didn't use the "current" flag in a bunch of wars (ok maybe if you mean in Afghanistan and Iraq, sure), but using reason for keeping the blue flag is bs.
Find ANY ww2-era (or ww1 if comparing red/blue ensigns) pictures (in colour) and they will show the red (civil) ensign

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i think we should change it to

Credit where credit's due. Anyone with me?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)