Should it stay or should it go?

• Keep it

Votes: 42 46.2%
  • Change it

Votes: 49 53.8%

• Total voters

Eath16

HSC
i think the Australian flag needs to change.

i strongly beleive that the union jack needs to go.

i think the Australian flag should represent what Australia is now, with features that tie it to the past.

i dont really think the Aboriginal flag should be incorporated directly into the national flag. Its theirs, their own source of identity even.

i reckon the new flag should have colours and features etc. that represent every Australian, whether you're black, white or brindle.

i appreciate what Britain has done, but its time to move on.

impervious182

HSC
Eath16 said:
i think the Australian flag needs to change.

i strongly beleive that the union jack needs to go.

i think the Australian flag should represent what Australia is now, with features that tie it to the past.
Australia is still a constitutional monarch.

Eath16 said:
i dont really think the Aboriginal flag should be incorporated directly into the national flag. Its theirs, their own source of identity even.
Agreed.

Eath16 said:
i reckon the new flag should have colours and features etc. that represent every Australian, whether you're black, white or brindle.
If I felt the need for a new flag, maybe. Though I don't think a flag needs to be this detailed... as in they should only be really simple and can only use primary colours. This is more of a job for the national anthem. A flag should just be basic, basic, basic... in my opinion at least.

rasengan90

HSC
The naval flag is much better. Should be the national flag.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The main reason to update the flag is because of the union jack.
We moved from the pound and God Save the Queen easily enough

impervious182

HSC
Iron said:
The main reason to update the flag is because of the union jack.
We moved from the pound and God Save the Queen easily enough
The union jack shouldn't be removed unless we become a republic. It signifies that we are a constitutional monarchy - why should it be removed when our system of government has not changed?

aussie-boy

HSC
We should keep the flag

Britain IS the mother country... too many people living in Australia (mostly those who have come from elsewhere) seem intimidated by this fact; and although their own imported cultural traditions are very welcome here, they should not come at the expense of widespread recognition of the importance of Britain in shaping the nation (and thus creating the attractiveness of Australia to migrants)

ASNSWR127

HSC
above posting is correct

I also lke out flag - it is very noble and very dignified - not some showy piece of commercial/hysterical crap.

brasileira

HSC
I think australia should stop lying on its back and being fucked by mother britain.
So what if Britain conquered australia and its part of australias history.. Britain, Portugal, Spain raped half the world you dont see their babies of rape leaving their mark on every modern countrys flag

No ANIMALS on the flag wtf take it easy

No aboriginal flag, just.. no.

Southern cross seems to be holding its own.. keep the blue, simplicity is the key.. It needs to have more personalisation, it doesnt mean shit at the moment does it.. even incorporating something symblosing australias separation from britain

Take the CUBAN flag for example the flag was created and the star symbolises its movement to separate itself from mother spain and we fought hard for this......

Anti-Spanish Cuban exiles under the leadership of Narciso López adopted a flag suggested by the poet Miguel Teurbe Tolón. His design incorporates three blue stripes, representing the sea that surrounds the island of Cuba, and two white stripes symbolizing the purity of the patriotic cause. The red triangle (triangle of masonic significance) stands for the blood shed to free the nation, which is placed where the star is, symbolizing the sky turned red from the blood shed in battle. The white star in the triangle stands for independence.

http://www.world-flags-symbols.com/_img_nations1/cubaflag.png

boris

Banned
HSC
Cuba would never have gained independance from spain without the us intervention

tmavg

HSC
the only reason why i wouldnt wanna change our flag is because who can be bothered.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
yeah tbh i dont have any beef with the current flag

i dont give a shit if the union jack is on it. we were a british colony. we will always have ties to england, even if we become a republic (which i dont see happening any time soon) and tbh what are we going to put on it anyway?

it's fairly individual and has character, and isnt gay like the french flag and the german flag with like 3 boring colours

keep the flag, eh

brasileira

HSC
boris said:
Cuba would never have gained independance from spain without the us intervention
Point was, the flag is symbolic of the struggle in becoming independant from Spain, each individual charactaristic on the flag has meaning. And australia has nothing stopping them from getting a real flag they dont have fucking putos like fidel oppressing everyone.

katie tully said:
it's fairly individual and has character, and isnt gay like the french flag and the german flag with like 3 boring colours

keep the flag, eh
australia flag is not individual and doesnt mean anything, its like there was no thought involved, australias ugly red head sister new zealand is a clone of australias flag except maybe the red stars symoblise the dead sheep whos blood was shed after kiwis had their way with them

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
how isn't it and how doesn't it?
it has the southern cross, unique to the southern hemisphere, symbolising our place on the planet
union jack is symbolic of our past and present relationship to england
star represents the 5 states and 2 territories

name a flag more unique than that

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The union jack's presence is absurd (but I still love it)

The irony wouldve been if we replaced it with that Qantas kangaroo (the most attractive alternative imo) only to have Qantas put the union jack behind the kangaroo after it merges with BA!

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

WTF are image tags turned off in NCAP Iron? Can you get sum1 to fix that up? It makes no sense.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah it was before my time. I think the idea was that we're above shock images etc, but sure it's annoying

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
lalalalalala the union jack is fine

but to be perfectly honest, im apathetic towards the flag
i just
dont
care

but i care enough to not really think it should be changed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)