The Disappointment Thread - Cry here... (1 Viewer)

student6625

HSC
Re: Disappointed with your results?

lol u should have an ATAR of 30 for thinking it would be spot on. calculators are meant to be a bit off , it is entirely normal for variations of 0.3-0.4, this happened to me as well, my actual was 0.25 less than my estimate
Well, I really wouldn't mind if the variation provided me with a higher ATAR, but 9/10 people here seem to have gotten a lower one.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Hey, what they gave me was off from 0.55 to 1.35. Stop complaining.

It's an annoyance, but are you seriously complaining about a 0.10 to 0.15 discrepancy? That's in the acceptable margin of error - up to one point.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Mine was more that 2 marks lower than predicted by the calculator. Shit happens; you know that the calculator is only an estimation.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A

Mine was more that 2 marks lower than predicted by the calculator. Shit happens; you know that the calculator is only an estimation.
and even then its a damn good one! arrogant asian is arrogant.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC

You're pissed off about getting 99.15 because the calculators estimated 99.25 & 99.30. You be trollin' nigger.

omeedtheking

HSC

and you prove to some that having a high atar does by no means mean you are entirley smart

yalando

HSC

I got 97.10 and althought it's good I am disappointed because:

1. My Chem mark was 87 and I did not see the titration question in the exam worth 8 marks so knowing that I couldve easily have gotten another 8 marks kills me
2. I got 88 for maths and knowing that I panicked and came home and was able to do every question 100% besides 12 also pissed me off
3. I got 42/50 for EE2....

Jonneeh

HSC

I got 97.10 and althought it's good I am disappointed because:

1. My Chem mark was 87 and I did not see the titration question in the exam worth 8 marks so knowing that I couldve easily have gotten another 8 marks kills me
2. I got 88 for maths and knowing that I panicked and came home and was able to do every question 100% besides 12 also pissed me off
3. I got 42/50 for EE2....
But isnt that always the case. Things are usually easier in hindsight.
Congrats anyways, still a very high result.

blackratpoo

HSC

who cares. you cant change anything. stop looking at the glass half empty. think of the things that you have learnt, understood and then applied to foreign situations. even the simplest things. when you started in year 7, could you integrate, write a chemical equation, write a critical essay? 87's 88's mean that you could actually interpret large chunks about a subject that 2 years ago you knew practically nothing and then communicate with an educated marker to show them you knew about 4/5ths of the content of that course. so grow the fuck up, get over yourself and be proud.

and dont do drugs :)

yalando

HSC

How I feel is how I feel blackratpoo(name.....) what did you end up getting

lels17

HSC
Matrix: 85.95
Actual ATAR: 85.7

bio 83 SOR II 87 GMaths 87 AdvEng 80 Italian Cont. 84 XItalian 38

so disappointed how much scaling affected my mark. got over 90% the entire way throughout the year for Italian Cont. and only got 84 . WTF?!
not happy as this greatly affected my ATAR. thinking of calling the inquiry centre but i reckon ill just get a 'theres nothing you can do' answer

NewiJapper

HSC
lels17 said:
so disappointed how much scaling affected my mark. got over 90% the entire way throughout the year for Italian Cont. and only got 84 . WTF?!
not happy as this greatly affected my ATAR. thinking of calling the inquiry centre but i reckon ill just get a 'theres nothing you can do' answer
I was the exact same with bio. 94 exam mark, over 85% all year at least and I get an 83 assessment mark? I called them up and it was pretty much, there is nothing we can do, it's based on how your cohort does etc something about exponential functions blah blah. I'm just disappointed on the fact that, if some of my ranks were higher, I could of gotten 2-3 more band 6's. Oh well, I can get into my law/science course so I'm happy =D haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I was the exact same with bio. 94 exam mark, over 85% all year at least and I get an 83 assessment mark? I called them up and it was pretty much, there is nothing we can do, it's based on how your cohort does etc something about exponential functions blah blah. I'm just disappointed on the fact that, if some of my ranks were higher, I could of gotten 2-3 more band 6's. Oh well, I can get into my law/science course so I'm happy =D haha
That's just the nature of scaling. Also, your school may have set easier internal examinations, hence it was 'easy' (per se) to get 85%+ all year. Scaling is there to ensure fairness across the whole state. It's not perfect, but there is no better system. For the converse of scaling, in 4U Maths, for my first assessment, I got something like 67% (I came 3rd out of 130 kids, in a Top 10 school). But eventually, I got 99 for my internal mark for the HSC. That particular exam was a really difficult exam, and as a result, we were 'scaled up'.

struthi

HSC
got 93.45 and my prediction was 94 as a minimum.
Aim: I realistically aimed for 95

pretty much devastated I wanted 95 sooooo bad!!

do you think i have any chance of B Arts in Communication (Writing and Cultural Studies) /B International Studies at UTS?? - ATAR cutoff apparently 97.35 :(

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on the demand. You could get lucky with few people applying for it.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
Someone in our cohort got 96 externally in physics, but it must have been counted as an outlier as me and the top girl got 92 as her assessment andd external. As a result, our highest physics mark was 92...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)