The Football Thread (1 Viewer)

ebbygoo

HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

Twas a good game. Glad Brisbane won, deserving winners. Thoughts?
Couldn't disagree more; I thought Wanderers deserved the win; they completely dominated the game for the first 70 mins and only lost momentum after Toppa went off. Even wihtout him it took them how long to break down the defence?

ebbygoo

HSC

Also thought that handball 14th min was a clear penalty. He brought his arms into his body as the ball came to him.

Also thought Toppa was clearly fouled leading up to the free kick before their first goal.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

am back from brisbane after heading up there for the grand final

Suncorp is a great stadium to watch football in, lol at the Roar fans trying to hype up the crowd - it should be the other way around!

Also, WSW should've won - clearly.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Also thought that handball 14th min was a clear penalty. He brought his arms into his body as the ball came to him.

Also thought Toppa was clearly fouled leading up to the free kick before their first goal.
Handball has to be done with intent (I did not see it), but the way you explained it seems ok.

If the ball is going to hit their body and it hits the arm first as the arm was planted in the body, its fine (again I did not see the first 90 minutes).

ebbygoo

HSC

The defender was in the air. The ball was coming towards him but not in line for direct contact. He had his arms in the air away from the path of the ball, but then brought his arms into his body towards the ball as it approached and thus brought them INTO the ball hence stopping the ball in motion and preventing the ball from continuing on it's path towards goals. Bozza was going on about it how he can't believe it wasn't a penalty.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

The defender was in the air. The ball was coming towards him but not in line for direct contact. He had his arms in the air away from the path of the ball, but then brought his arms into his body towards the ball as it approached and thus brought them INTO the ball hence stopping the ball in motion and preventing the ball from continuing on it's path towards goals. Bozza was going on about it how he can't believe it wasn't a penalty.
So you are saying he moved his arms into his chest and the ball hit his arms?

As long as the player did not clench his fist in the replay to deliberately stop the ball, then its quite a debatable point.

From my teachings (I am a referee and have read the 2014 Law chart), if the player did not intend to do it, then its play on.

If the fist clenched in an effort to stop the ball, then yeah its handball. If it stops a goal straight red. If they try to stop a goal, but the ball goes in for goal, the goal is awarded and they get a caution.

Many other referees however do call for handball whenever it touches the hand even if not deliberate, even when in the penalty area.

Also, its not that as easy to determine whether a player deliberately did that or not when it occurs within a tenth of a second. Replays make it seem easy to call those.

Last edited:

ebbygoo

HSC

I'll have a look see if I can find it so you can see what I mean.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The Official Football Thread

Sigh. If chelsea didnt 'slip' up against westbrom a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

crazy_paki123

HSC

Thank god that Liverpool "slipped up" ;) If they won i wouldve gone into hibernation for 3 months

leoncoote

HSC

wat evs happens go western Sydney wanderers
kaplam

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Booked my tickets for the Wellington - Newcastle friendly in July.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Ohhhhhhhhhh

crazy_paki123

HSC

Looks like Louis Van Gaal is the new United manager. What do u guys think? Back to glory or another mediocre season? Plus well done to the Wanderers, into the quarter finals of the ACL!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Looks like Louis Van Gaal is the new United manager. What do u guys think? Back to glory or another mediocre season? Plus well done to the Wanderers, into the quarter finals of the ACL!
They will perform well but this will depends on who the replacements will be for the old guard.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Im sad. Not as many free wins as before.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Yeah I was there expecting maybe a 1-0 win, fully expecting us to not win the tie - that third goal the week before was a killer.

nek minnit

We score the second goal and I just stand there going "is this real life"

not even cheering

just standing there going "is this happening? is this really happening?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)