The Greatest Book Ever Written (1 Viewer)

What kind of book do you read?

• Total voters

fish fingers

HSC
wow theres so much variety here, its fantastic.

I really like Nietzsche's work, particularly thus spoke zarathustra, and Plato however my favourite philosopher is aristotle, and in particular i love his works the Nicomachean Ethics, Politics and Metaphysics. Fiction wise I like the Iliad(at least the translation I read)

Those are my favourites, however i have often been told by learned people that Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina is the greatest book of all time, closely followed by his War and Peace. I'll have to read them and judge for myself.

fish fingers

HSC
Has anyone read Mark Twain? is it worthwile reading his work? Just like to know, because ive been told it was the inspiration for all subsequent American literature.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I've only read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Tom Sawyer was good, Huck Finn was not.

fish fingers

HSC
Korn said:
They should make audio tapes of every book written, im not much a fan of reading, cause its alot of work, ild prefer audio tapes
reminds of George Castanza in an epsiode of Seinfeld. The audio tape unfortunately had a voice similar to his, which is what he was trying to escape in the first place. Very funny.

fish fingers

HSC
Argonaut said:
That's a little more like it. Since you're something of a LotR fan, I thought you might be ready to charge into our debate about what makes the genre good. So far it's mostly been the United Peoples of Middle Earth and the Confederation of RandLand slugging it out. We're winning.
Ive been reading these posts and I cant see how you reach the conclusion that your winning. Much of your criticism is your interpretation, for example your trouble with Helms deep, and your dislike of using appendixes, rather than an overall view of Tolkien's works. The use of dividing the story in two, which results in two plots, in the second and third books is viewed by many as extremely effective compared to changing between chapters which can result in a rather superficial reading. As a neutral observer I must say that 'The United Peoples of Middle Earth' are winning.

J

jhakka

fish fingers said:
Ive been reading these posts and I cant see how you reach the conclusion that your winning. Much of your criticism is your interpretation, for example your trouble with Helms deep, and your dislike of using appendixes, rather than an overall view of Tolkien's works. The use of dividing the story in two, which results in two plots, in the second and third books is viewed by many as extremely effective compared to changing between chapters which can result in a rather superficial reading. As a neutral observer I must say that 'The United Peoples of Middle Earth' are winning.
You're only using one particular instance from that debate, though. Look at some more of Argo's, kami's, PwarYuex's and even a couple of my posts, and you can see a more balanced argument for why LOTR might not necessarily be the best.

The main flaw with the United Peoples of Middle Earth's argument is that it just seems to consist of "It came first, therefore it's the best."

I don't know if it is the best or not. However I strongly disagree with the whole idea of equating first with best.

keladry

lady knight
HSC
jhakka said:
I don't know if it is the best or not. However I strongly disagree with the whole idea of equating first with best.
i completely agree. i'm sure someone's said this before, but *shrugs* how are u going to judge the greatest book ever written? what criteria would u use? the fact that ppl still read it despite it having been around for millennia? or that the author was considered the "father" of the genre? perhaps because the author is immensely popular today and has more than 10 books released? or because they have sold a lot of books overall? maybe because it has an enjoyable plot? or (heaven forbid) a completely original story? likeable/not so likeable characters? the "skill" of the author? not to mention that personal preferences also come into play. i could go on and on, but i have to go soon.

i am a firm believer that there is no such thing as the greatest book ever written, only good books, and bad books.

likewise for the worst book ever written.

fish fingers

HSC
I certainly agree that just because something came first its not the best. that is a logical fallacy in appealing to tradition. Something must be supported by evidence. I would disagree with any one who told me that Socrates is the best philsopher simply because he is the father of western philosophy. Personally I believe Aristotle to be the best, and i hope most agree with me.

However my interpretation from reading these comments is that the supporters of Tolkien are generally doing a better job than the others at arguing.

Of course as the last comment wrote it is very difficult to judge the best book ever written as different people vary with their interpretations. One can't try and judge books ability off their language and structure etc. as it has been seen books occasionally arise that disregard accepted literary principles and create their own writing style and they are then considered to be good, such as Kerouac's spontaneous prose.

fish fingers

HSC
By the way what do people think of Jack kerouac's On The Road?

I didnt mind it, but I certainly wouldnt endorse it with enthusiasm. Most people I know hate the book and few bother to read it. A small minority however love the book, one in particular, and consider it to be absolutely brilliant.

ihatewriting

HSC
I like the stories about the everyday life. So I like Selindger. Also LOLITA by Nabokov.

pzb23

HSC
"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

and

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley

and

"Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" by Anne Tyler

frenchymm

HSC
HP isn't exactly brilliant.

Mortal Engines by Phillip Reeve

HSC
it's a useful book, yes, but i would hardly call the histories the greatest book ever written.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)