the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
yea, i get ur point Kami (at least u reply properly)
but all i'm, saying is that ppl who say that hsc doesnt mean a thing r wrong cause it IS a stepping stone 2 ur career ....
It doesn't mean a thing though...thats exactly what I was saying. If I wanted to be a lawyer or physician I could be, and without the HSC(or VCE or IB etc) and without losing anytime at all. The HSC and the UAI may be a popular and traditional method of entry but its not the best, cheapest or quickest way in to those degrees.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I was using your measure of success :/

PPL who say that r pathetic, esp those with lower uai's who try 2 delude themselves by saying all this shit....WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD....THE REAL WORLD IS COMPETITIVE
I mean you were talking about competitiveness? this is just the first thing that seemed to come to mind?

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
AsyLum said:
Read back, no one said it didnt mean nothing, we're discussing whether it is a mark of intelligence, and we're saying it is nothing more than a what it claims to be, a year of study on a syllabus with assignments and an exam at the end.

You can draw conclusions out of it signalling A=B but in the end, it is very difficult to say that with any definity, thats what we've been arguing for the past couple of pages. Please keep up.

umm.....i've alread answerd that....if ur'e smart and u realise that hsc can be a great opportunity then u'd put a little effort into it...
besides by smart, do u mean street smart>? or intelligence smart? or homer simpsons smart?
if ur talkin about intelligence smart, then yes, uai is a pretty accurate (BUT NOT DEFINITE>>>OF COURES THERE ARE ExCEPTIONS) measure of intelligence.

funnybunny

HSC
kami said:
It doesn't mean a thing though...thats exactly what I was saying. If I wanted to be a lawyer or physician I could be, and without the HSC(or VCE or IB etc) and without losing anytime at all. The HSC and the UAI may be a popular and traditional method of entry but its not the best, cheapest or quickest way in to those degrees.
plz expain..how u can be a physician without doin the hsc 2 get into uni???
(of course there r ways u can go into business college and then into uni then transfer ..but that seems a littel farfetched)...if u talk 2 any med student , u'll realise that every 1 of em has done the hsc

funnybunny

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lol 'if you're talking about intelligence smart'...
funny bunny, what was your UAI?
much more than urs, i gurantee u
i thought ppl would understand that by intelligence i meant knowlegde, , ..but obviously i was wrong 2 expect soooo MUCH of u

and in answer to "the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss" , yes, it is true because there will always be exceptions. but generally, it is a pretty fair indication

well..in conclusino.. ithink Stazi put it well...thers all kinds of intelligence and therefore , the guy who made this thread is not intelligent in terms of posting on forums ,as he/she should hav known that a lot of ppl post on forums , and they all hav different ideas on wat intelligence is

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
funnybunny said:
(of course there r ways u can go into business college and then into uni then transfer ..but that seems a littel farfetched)...if u talk 2 any med student , u'll realise that every 1 of em has done the hsc
Interesting you bring up med students.. I believe one of the Mods here at BOS recieved a UAI of ... 74 or 78 and is now doing med at UWA?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
i thought ppl would understand that by intelligence i meant knowlegde, , ..but obviously i was wrong 2 expect soooo MUCH of u
And you seem to be a prime example that grammar, spelling and legibility in arguments/logic isnt at the forefront of receiving a high UAI.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
funnybunny said:

and in answer to "the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss" , yes, it is true because there will always be exceptions. but generally, it is a pretty fair indication
no, intelligence doesn't mean 'knowledge' per se, if you wish to get scientific.

funnybunny, what IS your uai. you seem to say that it's higher than his, but refuse to give it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
umm.....i've alread answerd that....if ur'e smart and u realise that hsc can be a great opportunity then u'd put a little effort into it...
besides by smart, do u mean street smart>? or intelligence smart? or homer simpsons smart?
if ur talkin about intelligence smart, then yes, uai is a pretty accurate (BUT NOT DEFINITE>>>OF COURES THERE ARE ExCEPTIONS) measure of intelligence.
Being smart DOES NOT CORRELATE with using that knowledge.

That is motivation, they are two completely different processes. I could detect that A would be beneficial if i worked hard, but i choose not to, or am apathetic to it, knowing full well my consequences.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
MBBS can be entered through GAMSAT, but first you need an undergrad degree - you can do this through OLA without a UAI, in fact without an SC(year 10). So here is your timeline:
2 years of BGenStu ---> Grad MBBS via GAMSAT.

Or alternatively do Non-award and get into a BSc then do a grad MBBS. Again you don't neccesarily need a HSC to do that.

And you may say that all this may take longer, but when you factor in the time gained from not doing your HSC then you aren't losing much.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
funnybunny said:
no, it's not. uai is a very inaccurate measure of 'intelligence' smart. the most 'accurate' is a standardised IQ test encompassing Gf and Gc measures.
The uai only really tests Gc - crystalised knowledge

funnybunny

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Interesting you bring up med students.. I believe one of the Mods here at BOS recieved a UAI of ... 74 or 78 and is now doing med at UWA?
yes..welll .. ithink it's lexi...
but u've ignored the fact that he has a uai and therefore he's done the hsc !

7th Sign

HSC
Doing well in the hsc means nothing in life.

Sure some certain courses are a "safe way to have a ok future but remember you have to pass at uni and you do not know for sure what life has install for you :D Doing well in the hsc does not make you "invincible" and also gain you a future with a job that will bring in big $$$.

Also remember if you want to make big money in the future having a "degree" will mean nothing you may have all the degrees in your certain field but does this mean you are guaranteed a job in this field? Does this mean you will be the ultimate worker at this job?

HSC does not measure success, success is something that comes from people who are adventurous with their money and start early in life.

Not people who area at uni until their 28 doing some double degree in surgery and leaving uni with a hecs bill you can not jump over?

Take my cousins parents for example they both don’t have degrees but their on 500k/net a year from their own business and they have a house worth 20 million this is success :D They started working at 18 and built their wealth they were up to 10 years ahead of the uni trained guy.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But going along your lines of logic,

Medicine is a high UAI cut off, therefore 'smart' people are only accepted into it to prevent 'stupid' people from gaining entry.

A 70~ is hardly 'smart' or 'top notch' and thus by your logic, stupid.

Therefore it should be impossible for such a stupid person to continue or even consider such a path, right?

So therefore, we have segragation based on the UAI/HSC as a mark of intelligence? Is that what you're saying ?

funnybunny

HSC
stazi said:
no, intelligence doesn't mean 'knowledge' per se, if you wish to get scientific.

funnybunny, what IS your uai. you seem to say that it's higher than his, but refuse to give it.

obviousuly i could giv it 2 u , but wat difference would it maeK?? BUT IF U INSIST ..then i got 99.9 ..so not-that-bright, did u get 99.95 or 100?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
hey, a reality check for u:
the way ppl appear on forums isn't a good indicator of how they r in real life!
Yes you're right, but learning to spell shouldn't abandon you because you're using the internet.

Actually, quite ironic, reality check, online, hah, you're a crack up.

funnybunny

HSC
AsyLum said:
But going along your lines of logic,

Medicine is a high UAI cut off, therefore 'smart' people are only accepted into it to prevent 'stupid' people from gaining entry.

A 70~ is hardly 'smart' or 'top notch' and thus by your logic, stupid.

Therefore it should be impossible for such a stupid person to continue or even consider such a path, right?

So therefore, we have segragation based on the UAI/HSC as a mark of intelligence? Is that what you're saying ?

UMMMM..since when did i say that? . .all i said was that ppl in med hav done the hsc and thus has given them the opportunity to pursue med as a career....
it seems that everythin u've accused me of implying is simply ur perspective on the matter..
Welll if u actually stop 2 think about it, entry into medicine IS segregated based on UAI/HSC (also umat/interview) and they do consider that as an indicator of whether u will be able 2 cope with the studies.....if u want to believe that being able to cope with med studies is a measure of intelligence, then its up to u.

NEXT TIME, plz post a reply that makes sense and that u've actually thought about ....* goes 2 rread a book that makes sense:wave:

btw..yes ASYLUM..the internet is a reality..it's not a figment of ur imagination

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)