The legitimacy of depression as an illness. (1 Viewer)

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think that everyone in this thread needs a good dose of

[CITATION NEEDED]

itt: armchair experts saying stuff without evidence.

Graney said:
I agree with most of the criticisms in this article, particular the issues about normality and illness judgements, psychiatric labelling, and the influence of the pharmaceutical industry.
That is because you're an imbecile.

Quickly never take paracetamol again ITS PFIZER TRYING TO EAT YOUR BRAIN

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
you're probably going to hate me for this but when people do that i don't feel pity i feel anger. How could someone give up on life, give up on themselves and those around them... no matter how bad your life is you still have one and some people in many parts of the world go through more than what he probably had just to hold onto life itself and he threw it all away like it was nothing.
Who cares, it's their choice, it's selfish of friends and family to demand you hang around for their sake (unless they're your dependent children of course).

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I think that everyone in this thread needs a good dose of

[CITATION NEEDED]

itt: armchair experts saying stuff without evidence.

That is because you're an imbecile.

Quickly never take paracetamol again ITS PFIZER TRYING TO EAT YOUR BRAIN
Nah you misunderstand us comrade.

We're not debating whether all mental illnesses are fake, just that some are over diagnosed or probably perpetuated to be more than they are.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
context of the person involved has a lot to do with it as tully said

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hagaren said:
you're probably going to hate me for this but when people do that i don't feel pity i feel anger. How could someone give up on life, give up on themselves and those around them... no matter how bad your life is you still have one and some people in many parts of the world go through more than what he probably had just to hold onto life itself and he threw it all away like it was nothing.
I think it's entirely possible that this issue is too complex for you, comrade.

HSC
I was bullied throughout primary school, and early high school. Physically, emotionally, whatever. It was shit. I got over it. Bullying by kids is nothing, serious.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Bullying doesn't end at school. I work with middle aged, health "professionals" who bullied a psychologist at work so much, she applied for a job in another state and left within 2 weeks. They're major cunts to me too because I'm not part of the clique, whatever. They've been doing the same shitty job for 20 years, at the end of next year I'll be doing something exciting.

They can eat dick.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Nah you misunderstand us comrade.

We're not debating whether all mental illnesses are fake, just that some are over diagnosed or probably perpetuated to be more than they are.
I understand as much.

But allow me to elaborate.

I'm not saying that everyone who is out there is faking it, but i have found personally that for most people labeling themselves as having depression it's just an easy way out of a difficult situation, an excuse.
I suppose what most gets me about it is that there aren't in most cases any physical symptoms, so it makes it hard for me personally to believe in it as an actual illness rather than just the weakness of certain individuals (in most cases).
Others are emo and want attention.
etc

see, thing is, i don't think there are many people (certainly not enough to complain and develop a complex about) who fits these descriptions would be diagnosed with depression

i think this is a case of silly people not completely understanding what they're talking about, and then making a thread about it

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Fuck, I got bullied at school every day for 2 terms because some slut didn't like my buckle up shoes. Srsly.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
everyone gets bullied at some stage in life, how you deal with it is the problem

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
if you think your sad you will be basically.

Depression is an illness of the mind, therefore the minod should potentially have the power to break free of it.
It's easy to say this, but it can be hard to effect change, especially acting independently.

It's far from easy to really change your patterns of thinking and belief.

There definetly is the potential for change in most people, resources like counselling and possibly medication are essential to assist people in this process.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
until you have personally experience depression in some form, you cant completely make a comment on how people suffering are selfish in taking their lives and how though should just "be happy" as its something you cant just instantly fix

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
is there any problem with over-diagnosing depression?

i reckon no

apart from those antidepressants which drive people to suicide lol lol lol

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Harsh words itt: make me depressed

But srsly, if you think you're depressed and you want to medicate yourself to the eyeballs and become a social recluse and breed 1000 cats, i dont care. Just don't ring me up and tell me about it.

If you wanna neck yourself, neck yourself. Just be courteous about it, dont;
- do it in a place where your kids or spouse will find you
- do it in a way that puts innocent bystanders at risk
- make a mess. ffs, nothing shits me more than cunts with no regard for anybody else. so you wanna neck yourself, don't jump off a bridge/building/into the path of a train. it's inconsiderate, you might be dead, but somebody else has to live with hosing your brains off the footpath

HSC
Bullying doesn't end at school. I work with middle aged, health "professionals" who bullied a psychologist at work so much, she applied for a job in another state and left within 2 weeks. They're major cunts to me too because I'm not part of the clique, whatever. They've been doing the same shitty job for 20 years, at the end of next year I'll be doing something exciting.

They can eat dick.
I agree with this. My depression was pretty much due to being broken down emotionally, and my father standing by watching it happen.

Nothing like having an adult overdiagnose you with a behavioural disorder, then disarm you entirely with it. There is more to it, of course, but its not a part of my life I enjoy revisiting.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Harsh words itt: make me depressed

But srsly, if you think you're depressed and you want to medicate yourself to the eyeballs and become a social recluse and breed 1000 cats, i dont care. Just don't ring me up and tell me about it.

If you wanna neck yourself, neck yourself. Just be courteous about it, dont;
- do it in a place where your kids or spouse will find you
- do it in a way that puts innocent bystanders at risk
- make a mess. ffs, nothing shits me more than cunts with no regard for anybody else. so you wanna neck yourself, don't jump off a bridge/building/into the path of a train. it's inconsiderate, you might be dead, but somebody else has to live with hosing your brains off the footpath
too far tully

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)