• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hehehe .. it's a sign of his maturity that he's already losing track of his own age at 19 :p Far more than I can say about myself.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Marat on his Birthday beats Fed in the Semi's of the Aus Open
Rafael on his Birthday beatds Fed in the Semis' of Roland Garros

Freaky!!

Whos birthday is it around the wimbledon semis?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Surely no one of worth, I'd be pretty amazed if anyone in the field actually has their birthday on the semis of wimbledon. It's freaky enough a coincidence as it is.

Damn you posted the same time as me. Nice work, have some rep :D

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Now you're just freaking me out. What are you, uni student by day and tennis stalker at night? :p

sarevok

HSC
Sweets said:
I don't think Nadal lacks variety, on clay he is brilliant to watch but then again i'm a person who loves claycourt tennis most people don't like it that much because they prefer hardcourt/grass tennis which is boom, boom, boom, ace, boom, winner....
I wouldn't say hardcourt is like that with the exception of Pimpim/Roddick, but yeah I guess that kind of describes grass. I personally find grass more entertaining due to the serve/volley play and the quick points...rather than clay and its no-name Spaniards/Argentines reaching the second week and the long, drawn-out, inside-out forehand, torturous top-spin 10 feet behind the baseline rallies.

This French Open overall has been the worst grand slam in years. It's been nice to see Pierce reach the final but the womens tourny overall has been horrible. The men's tourny hasn't been much better, the Fed-Nadal match didn't live up to expectations and the only really great match imo was Ferrero v Safin. Hopefully Wimbledon will be much better.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
The great thing about Nadal is that he hasn't fulfilled his full potential. At the moment he's making the most of his forehand/tenacity/left-handedness, but given time I think we'll see his all court game improve a lot. Remember he is still only 19.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
sarevok said:
I wouldn't say hardcourt is like that with the exception of Pimpim/Roddick, but yeah I guess that kind of describes grass. I personally find grass more entertaining due to the serve/volley play and the quick points...rather than clay and its no-name Spaniards/Argentines reaching the second week and the long, drawn-out, inside-out forehand, torturous top-spin 10 feet behind the baseline rallies.
Hardcourt tennis is so repetetive for me. I'm more intrigued by the clay court game, with it's long baseline ralliers.

Nothing wrong with the many random latino's that pop up at Roland Garross either. I find those types of players to have more character/flair than your typical American or whatever big hitter.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
sarevok said:
This French Open overall has been the worst grand slam in years. It's been nice to see Pierce reach the final but the womens tourny overall has been horrible. The men's tourny hasn't been much better, the Fed-Nadal match didn't live up to expectations and the only really great match imo was Ferrero v Safin. Hopefully Wimbledon will be much better.
You obviously havn't seen all the matches if you think Ferrero v Safin was the best one because other great matches for me have included- Putera def Canas (best match of the tournie) Robredo def Safin (just the intesity,the tennis wasn't the great all the time) Putera def Davydenko.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Yay for Justine but that final was crap. How many years in a row have we have a bad final now

2004- Nastysa def Lena- horrible final
2003- Justine def Kim- crap final
2002- Serena def Venus- Ok final
2001- Jen def Kim- great final!! 12-10 in the 3rd!!

so we have to go back 3 years to see a Ok womens final and 4 years to see a great one!!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i've hardly ever seen a clay court match on TV before, or played on a clay court. So I can't really judge.

I just don't think there is intensity in clay court matches. They ball bounces slow and the players can't run properly.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
The draw for Halle is out. Every1 is playing it looks like a great tournie. I hope Nadal withdraws though whether he wins or loses cause he has had a huge clay court season but knowing him he wont.

FEDERER, Roger (SUI/1)
SODERLING, Robin (SWE)

YOUZHNY, Mikhail (RUS)
MAYER, Florian (GER)

LLODRA, Michael (FRA)
Q

KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp (GER)
JOHANSSON, Joachim (SWE/6)

NADAL, Rafael (ESP/3)
WASKE, Alexander (GER/WC)

Q
FERRERO, Juan Carlos (ESP/WC)

MELZER, Jürgen (AUT)
MARTIN, Alberto (ESP)

NOVAK, Jiri (CZE/WC)
HAAS, Tommy (GER/7)

NALBANDIAN, David (ARG/5)
SCHÜTTLER, Rainer (GER)

ROCHUS, Christophe (FRA)
Q

KIEFER, Nicolas (GER)
Q

VERDASCO, Fernando (ESP)
CANAS, Guillermo (ARG/4)

LOPEZ, Feliciano (ESP/8)
CARLSEN, Kenneth (DEN)

SAULNIER, Cyril (FRA)
ROCHUS, Olivier (FRA)

PAVEL, Andrei (ROM)
SANTORO, Fabrice (FRA)

POPP, Alexander (GER/WC)
SAFIN, Marat (RUS/2)

sarevok

HSC
Bjorkman/Myrini def. Bryan/Bryan 2-6 6-1 6-4.

This win gave a career doubles grand slam to Jonas which makes me happy, Bjorkman is one of the nicest players on tour. :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yeeesss.. Nadal gets the 2nd set and a break in the first game of the 3rd. Come on lad, it's your's for the taking!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
OMG he did it!!!!! I almost cried when it was over, esp when I saw him cry. This is destined for greatness.

It was only a 4 set final but it was brilliant. Putera was gracious in defeat and as was Rafael in victory.

The future is finally here :D

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Ohhh i have neglected my tennis thread of late.

Recent News

Alica came back from her ear-infection to lose in the first roun :(....Hope she can be ready in time for Wimby

Rafa lost in the lst round at Halle to Waske

Ferrero is in the qtrs at Halle!!- yes a grass court tournie and will play Tommy Hass...uggh 2 of my favs!

Federer is also in the qtrs....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)