• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
OMFG Putera def Canas best freaking match of Roland Garros this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm serious that is how good it was and i'm not even a fan of either of these players. People who thinkt he final is going to be a washout should think again. These guys can feel the trophy getting closer and they are fighting to get it.

I didn't watch the Robredo vs Davydenko match but the scoreline indicates it was pretty impressive.

Womens semis tonight. Hopefully no more upsets and Juju and Mary will advance to the final.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hope you're right sweets. Wouldn't want to see Puerta, Davydenko or Robredo become Verkerk 2 against Nadal. Meanwhile I also bet jm1234567890 $10 on Nadal beating Fed tomorrow, so he better win :D

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Justine vs Mary in the Roland Garros final. Thanking fucking God. I don't think I could have survived if Petrova or Elena.l had made the final.

You know alot of people have dismissed this final. But they are past champions. We all know what a great player Justine is and Mary is amazing when she on. Nick Bolleterri says she is one of the best strikers of the ball he has ever seen. Mary when she was on also demolished the likes of Graf, Seles etc.

Gosh i should work in publicity, just trying to look at the positive side of this. Womens tennis is at a weird point rite now and I think thats why we have grandslam finals like this. We have the veterns Cappy, Davenport and Pierce all hoping for a run, the return of the injured Belgians, the decline of Venus, Serena well I don't know what to say about her but seeing as she did win the AO it would be stupid to say she is in decline. And then u have the incosistant and some may some overated Russians Myskina, Dementieva. and then there are the youngsters Maria, Sesil, Ana, Nicole.

Nadal and Fed tonight. I may die of excitement!!!!! Go Rafa!!

lfc_reds2003

nadal fed will be fucking amazing
cant wait

as for the women, justine is in amazing form.... she just goes and has a whack which is how tennis shulkd be played !!

but the french crowd ..... neway henin-hardenne in 3 sets!!! pretty easy tip but may as well make it!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
federer will cruise through, he has played nadal enough times to work out his game.

EDIT: on a side note stosur was slaughtered :(

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well Davydenko and Puerta are on Le Chatrier before them at 11:00, so unless one of them pulls out or gets inured, I suspect it won't be on till 1:00 or 2:00.

sarevok

HSC
'Paris, June 02: Marat Safin leaves his mark wherever he goes. The Russian exited the French Open on Monday but a part of him - or rather a byproduct of his famed temper - will stay behind.

The two-time grand slam champion got so angry during his fourth-round loss to Tommy Robredo that he slammed his racket into his changeover chair, leaving a gaping hole in the wooden base that included a Perrier ad.

Safin was fined $1,000 (euro 813) for unsportsmanlike conduct. The sum was deducted from his prize money of euro62,020 (US$76,285).

So what happens to the broken chair? It will take pride of place in the Roland Garros Tennis Museum, as part of a display called "100 objects, 100 years of tennis," museum director Jean-Christophe Piffaut said.

"Safin's language on court is not so great, but as long as he keeps providing us with new things, we don't mind," Piffaut said. "I bet Perrier are delighted with him. It's free advertising!"

In 2002, Safin mangled a racket so badly that Piffaut kept it in his museum, and even put together a short movie of Safin tantrums during that tournament.'

Bureau Report

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Come on Rafael !!!!!! Go you good thing :D:D:D Now surely the tournament is his. Puerta's done very well to get this far, but he's gotta be exhausted after 2 consecutive 5 setters + also playing in the doubles.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
OMG YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He deserves this tournament soo much now. He should steamroll Putera in the final. I don't care if its a boring final. I just want Rafael to win! :D It's so weird I've never seen Federer like this. He wanted to win soo much but he just couldnt do it.

This interview is why I love Rafa

Q. Can you tell us how you feel right now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am very happy. So I am very happy. I am in the final, for me that is very important. Is a dream for me. Is a dream for me. I can won today against the No. 1 ‑ not only the No. 1 for the tennis, but the No. 1 for the person and for his sportivity (sic).

Q. How did you manage to unsettle Roger so much after he had won the second set? You then came back into the match so much.

RAFAEL NADAL: He is playing very well in the second set. When he play very well, I can't do nothing, no? He have unbelievable forehand. And when his forehand go to my backhand, is very difficult for me. After in the third set, I can escape and I can improve in my game, no?

Q. You had a chat with Roger at the net. What did he say to you after?

RAFAEL NADAL: After the match?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: I say him, "I am sorry." And he say me, "Congratulations. Good luck for the future and good luck for the final."

Is not easy when one player is the No. 1 lost in one semifinal of Grand Slam of Roland Garros when he never won here. And he's unbelievable, no?

Q. You appear to be more nervous in here than you are on the court. Is that an accurate perception?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm not nervous, no. But I try my best. I don't have more (laughter).

Q. In all seriousness, can you assess what you were thinking and feeling going into the match? You had a long time to think about it, it's a pretty new experience for you. Were these things difficult?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Translated from Spanish) He's speaking a bit fast.

(In English.) Yeah, no, I arrive today when I stay in my best tennis in the two weeks, no? I play my best match against Ferrer. I was practicing very good yesterday and tomorrow morning when I go to the court, I am with a lot of confidence for play good tennis.

Q. Have you celebrated your birthday yet today? Do you have any plans for celebrating tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't know, because what time is it now?

Q. 10.

RAFAEL NADAL: Is 10. I have little bit massage late. I want to go to dinner, but I don't know if I arrive too late. I don't know if is possible, no? If I can arrive, I go to dinner and not too much celebration, because in Sunday I have the most important match in my career I think.

Q. Are you going to get any more presents or is this your present?

RAFAEL NADAL: Difficult present because I am in Paris. The people when I know me is in Mallorca, no? My present is my family is here. He arrive yesterday. And for me my best present for today is this match, no?

Q. Will the streets of Mallorca be closed on Sunday? Will everybody be watching the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think so. So is important match.

(Translated from Spanish) It's a very important match. I hope that the people that watch will enjoy it and I'm always very thankful and I don't want to talk any more English.

Q. You had some easy victories to get to this match today. Is it more satisfying to play your best tennis against someone like Roger Federer, the best player? Do you feel you accomplished more today?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Translated from Spanish) I understood the first bit. I heard "easy matches."

(In English.) I don't think so the matches is easy. The matches is never easy. In the match we have always problems in any time. And I have problems against Ferrer, three set‑points down. And today I have so much problems, real important this, and I can won the match, and that's the most important for me, no?

Q. Were you becoming worried the match might not finish tonight because it was getting dark? Roger said he was having problems seeing. Were you having problems seeing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, is a little bit late. The light is not the best. So I think we will try finish the set, and if he won the set, go to sleep, no? Play tomorrow.

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions.

Q. It's amazing. When you won the first set against Roger, you started just like you like to start a match, with a break in the first game. You showed you are a great player from the outset.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I started very well, it's true, with a very good rhythm. That's what I wanted. It's been my specialty this year to have an early break in the first set. It's very important to be able to break early. Then with a second break, I could see that the set was looking good for me. Of course, when you win the first set, well, it makes you a little less nervous.

Q. You beat No. 1. Now you're going to play against Puerta on Sunday. How difficult will Puerta be?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he'll be difficult, you know, because it's Roland Garros. He's been playing very good tennis to be in the final. It will be a very complicated match. I'll have to play my best tennis and only like that will I be able to win.

Q. A final against an Argentine player, is that a summary of the situation on clay? Or can a player that plays serve and volley win here, like Federer?

RAFAEL NADAL: Federer for me is the best player wherever. Federer for me is an amazing player. When he played well, it was very difficult for me. I was having trouble with his forehand. When I managed to escape his game, that's when I was able to score points.

But Federer always shows that he's the best. Obviously, he could win here.

Q. There was a question on a call. You didn't want to challenge the umpire?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I've always done that. In Brazil there was a match point against Calleri, 5‑2, 5‑3. Calleri had a shot. The umpire said, "Out." I thought it was good. I said so. I ended up losing that point.

Well, you know, I think that we try to all help each other. I think if we do help each other, it will all be very good for tennis.

Q. At one point in the match, was there a particular point that was very difficult for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. Not in the first set. The first set was okay. I knew that Roger was going to start playing very well any time. In the second set I started with shorter balls. Obviously it gets very difficult against a player like Federer. I could see that I couldn't turn things around.

Then the third set obviously was very important. He wasn't dominating any more in the third set. I had to stick it out for the first games of the third set. At 3‑4 I could see that things were turning around in my favor. That made me feel calm. I could see I was going to be able to break.

Q. That was the key then?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, that was the key to the match. It was a very important set. It didn't start very well. I saw that I had to play my best tennis so I could win the match.

Q. Apart from your very good level of tennis, you have shown to be very mature on court, as though you'd been professional for 10 years. That's what we always say when we see you. You still need to play a final of a Grand Slam. Do you think that it might be difficult for you mentally? How do you face this mentally?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't think that I'll be feeling especially nervous on the day of the final. But it's true I've never been in a final in a Grand Slam tournament. I suppose we'll both be rather nervous in the final. But I've played lots of finals this year. I've played even important finals, in Barcelona, for example. All the finals are important, obviously, but Barcelona, Monte‑Carlo and Rome. Then the Davis Cup last year. I can't get more pressure than the one I got last year in the Davis Cup.

Q. Have you seen Federer as desperate today as he was in the previous two matches? It seemed he was a little desperate, he didn't know what to do. A lot of his shots went out.

RAFAEL NADAL: In Miami, yes, the two first sets, and part of the third, I saw him like that. It had been one of the best matches in the year for me and he looked bothered somehow. He had very good moments today, then also he made some faults that made things difficult for him today.

Q. Today you played incredible. You beat No. 1 in the world. The crowd is sometimes still against you. How do you think you can win the crowd over?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think the crowd was against me. That's not the impression I got. No, I didn't get that impression. I think the crowd has been very good from the beginning of the week. Obviously, they're divided. There's not a Frenchman on court today. The crowd was 50% for me, 50% for him.

Obviously, with Grosjean, the people whistled. Otherwise, the crowd behaved very well and I'm very pleased with the crowd.

Q. Are you going to ask advice to a friend of yours who has already won Roland Garros, Carlos Moya?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I might speak to him tonight or tomorrow. It's always good to get the support of people who have gone through the same thing, like Carlos Moya. He might be able to support and help me. I might need some of his advice. I spoke to him before the tournament started, and I know that he always supports me. He has always been a very important person in my career.

Q. This is going to be the first final for a long time between two left‑handers. How do you see that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know. We'll have to see what happens on Sunday. I played a few left‑handers. Melo in Brazil almost beat me 4‑2 in the last set. Then I played Puerta in Acapulco. I don't think I played any other left‑handers this year.

Q. How did you feel beating Federer, who is according to your own words your idol?

RAFAEL NADAL: Federer in a semifinal of a Grand Slam, it's incredible. It's incredible to beat Federer. Winning a semifinal is already incredible, and beating Federer is even more amazing.

Q. Did you apologize when you saw him at the end?

RAFAEL NADAL: I said, "I'm sorry for you." He said, "No, no, you played very well." He said, "Good luck for the final. Good luck for the future."

Q. Have you thought about what you're going to do if you win here, something that you can tell us about?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, whatever happens, Monday I'm going to be in Germany preparing for grass. There will be nothing special. We're in the middle of the season. Obviously, if I win here, it will be a dream come true, and it will help me in the future.

But I'm 18. There's a lot that I still need to improve. I'm try to improve on a daily basis. On clay, this year I've had good results. But I'm going to play on other types of courts, as well. My intention is to play in Wimbledon so that I can also keep on learning.

Q. 19.

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry, 19, I'm not 18.

sarevok

HSC
^^Agreed. Watching some one run around and hit top-spin forehands all day isn't that entertaining.

Roger played horribly and should have won that match.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Well see thats the thing if he played horribly he didn't deserved to win the match. Sure, Nadal didn't play that great but he did what he had to, to beat him.

Roger needs to stop slicing every single freaking backhand if he wants to win on clay....

I don't think Nadal lacks variety, on clay he is brilliant to watch but then again i'm a person who loves claycourt tennis most people don't like it that much because they prefer hardcourt/grass tennis which is boom, boom, boom, ace, boom, winner....

Roger has by far been the best player this year and he is the best player in the world but funnily he is 0/2 in grandslams.
He will win Wimbledon though deffinetly.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Shame that the Fed Nad match waz in the semiz, should've been the final. I don't mind either one winnin, they're both great playerz.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Start earnin and get it. :D

Too bad my parentz won't let me, they say I'll watch too much TV.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
thats exactly the problem here, parents wont let me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)