• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
yeah, poor alicia, but I have a feeling she will be lost in the return of Belgium and the up-commers.

at queens it will probably be hewitt vs roddick again.

chris gouchonie look promising for a while there.

lol, federer is gonna play the lowest ranked player in the quarters.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Ferrero accuses Spanish media of Nadal obsession

Thu Jun 9, 2005 7:36 PM BST
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...-50_L09566411:1

HALLE, Germany, June 9 (Reuters) - Former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero criticised the Spanish media on Thursday for focusing too much on his compatriot Rafael Nadal and neglecting the rest of the Spanish players.

Ferrero was asked to comment on the decision by Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday.

"It's not a good thing," said Ferrero, who made it through to the quarter-finals of the pre-Wimbledon grasscourt event on Thursday.

"Right now most people are talking about Nadal and forgetting the others. They still exist, and journalists should show more respect for them as well."

Ferrero, himself a French Open winner, made it through to the quarters by knocking out Nadal's conquerer, Alexander Waske of Germany.

"Nadal can lose also. He's human," Ferrero said.

Hahaha first Marat with his comments about Nadal in Barcelona, now this. Although I don't think Juanqui has said anything as horrible as the media is making it out to be. Poor Ferrero, I suppose Nadal has just ovetaken him a little since DC 2004.

The media left??- Boo freaking hoo, Juan Carlos get over it! Ha, I still love him! and as far as I have heard there is no real bad blood between them, as Antonio says 'Rafael and Juan Carlos are always playing playstation together'

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
gah! looks like hewitt hasn't regained his touch yet.

federer vs safin rematch should be interesting, hopefully.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
What is it with tennis players and their playstations? I'm pretty sure I read an article about Federer carrying a playstation with him all the time as well a couple of years ago.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
gah! looks like hewitt hasn't regained his touch yet.
Remember is Karlovic...Hewitt has never been really good at beating him has he?
I hope he draws him in the 1st round of Wimby again...mwhahahaha.

Yeh all tennis players do seem to be obsessed with play station. On Andy Roddicks dvd thingo when he's on his bus all he does is play, play station. I mean Sony is the sponser of the WTA not the ATP...

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Halle
Fed def Haas

Safin def Canas

Yay we have the re-match we wanted!

Queens

Roddick def Stephanek

Karlovic def Johansson

Birmingham

Sharapova def Tati :(
Jankovic def Granville

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
She is resting after Roland Garros because apparently she is still not over her virus. She will play Wimbledon then take a month off. Wise, i think she is putting her body first unlike in '03 when she would play like every week.

Poor Marat. Federer even beat him in the doubles. When was the last time so many high ranked players played doubles anyway.

Some Marat quotes after today

"I could not have played any better."

"I cannot remember playing that well in recent years but there is no stopping Roger. It was a great match and I enjoyed it."

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Damn Federer. Even I'm not game enough to predict anything less than the title for him in Wimbledon :( The guy's just too good on grass.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't know Tatiana's the most photogenic of tennis players. I've never seen a photo of her that I've been overly impressed with. She was beautiful when I saw her in Sydney this year though.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Seedings for Wimbledon are out...Andy was the big winner moving to no.2 meaning he stays away from Fed till the final. Mario and Sebby were also moved up significantly

Seeds for the Gentlemen's Singles:

1. FEDERER, Roger (SUI)
2. RODDICK, Andy (USA)
3. HEWITT, Lleyton (AUS)
4. NADAL, Rafael (ESP)
5. SAFIN, Marat (RUS)
6. HENMAN, Tim (GBR)
7. CANAS, Guillermo (ARG)
8. DAVYDENKO, Nikolay (RUS)
9. GROSJEAN, Sebastien (FRA)
10. ANCIC, Mario (CRO)
11. JOHANSSON, Joachim (SWE)
12. JOHANSSON, Thomas (SWE)
13. ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP)
14. STEPANEK, Radek (CZE)
15. CORIA, Guillermo (ARG)
16. PUERTA, Mariano (ARG)
17. FERRER, David (ESP)
18. NALBANDIAN, David (ARG)
19. HAAS, Tommy (GER)
20. LJUBICIC, Ivan (CRO)
21. GONZALEZ, Fernando (CHI)
22. HRBATY, Dominik (SVK)
23. FERRERO, Juan Carlos (ESP)
24. DENT, Taylor (USA)
25. KIEFER, Nicolas (GER)
26. LOPEZ, Feliciano (ESP)
27. GASQUET, Richard (FRA)
28. NOVAK, Jiri (CZE)
29. MASSU, Nicolas (CHI)
30. SODERLING, Robin (SWE)
31. YOUZHNY, Mikhail (RUS)
32. VOLANDRI, Filippo (ITA)

Seeds for the Ladies' Singles:

1. DAVENPORT Miss Lindsay (USA)
2. SHARAPOVA Miss Maria (RUS)
3. MAURESMO Miss Amelie (FRA)
4. WILLIAMS Miss Serena (USA)
5. KUZNETSOVA Miss Svetlana (RUS)
6. DEMENTIEVA Miss Elena (RUS)
7. HENIN-HARDENNE Mrs Justine (BEL)
8. PETROVA Miss Nadia (RUS)
9. MYSKINA Miss Anastasia (RUS)
10. SCHNYDER Miss Patty (SUI)
11. ZVONAREVA Miss Vera (RUS)
12. PIERCE Miss Mary (FRA)
13. LIKHOVTSEVA Miss Elena (RUS)
14. WILLIAMS Miss Venus (USA)
15. CLIJSTERS Miss Kim (BEL)
16. DECHY Miss Nathalie (FRA)
17. JANKOVIC Miss Jelena (SCG)
18. GOLOVIN Miss Tatiana (FRA)
19. IVANOVIC Miss Ana (SCG)
20. HANTUCHOVA Miss Daniela (SVK)
21. SCHIAVONE Miss Francesca (ITA)
22. FARINA ELIA Mrs Silvia (ITA)
23. SUGIYAMA Miss Ai (JPN)
24. ASAGOE Miss Shinobu (JPN)
25. SPREM Miss Karolina (CRO)
26. PENNETTA Miss Flavia (ITA)
27. VAIDISOVA Miss Nicole (CZE)
28. FRAZIER Miss Amy (USA)
29. BARTOLI Miss Marion (FRA)
30. SAFINA Miss Dinara (RUS)
31. MEDINA GARRIGUES Miss Anabel (ESP)
32. RAZZANO Miss Virginie (FRA)

Written by AELTC

It is so old fashioned how they continue with the Miss and Mrs for the women.

Ana and Nicole were both moved up. As was Sprem even though she is playing like shit these days, her qtr last yr I suppose merits it. I doubt Ted Watts will be around this yr though to give her a helping hand :rolleyes:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Yeh i thought so too but I think Lindsays consistancy won out. She always seems to get nudged down for some other player, she got the shits when the William sisters were seeded in front of her so i'm glad she got the no.1 seeding.

Leash withdrew :( :( :(

Molik heartbreak at Wimbledon withdrawal

Struggling to even see the ball and move around the court, Alicia Molik had little choice but to make the "heartbreaking" decision to withdraw from Wimbledon and she's unsure she'll be playing the US Open in late August.

Molik had trained fanatically and surprised doctors when she returned to the court at Birmingham and Eastbourne this month after battling an inner-ear infection since April, but she finally admitted to herself she could not compete at Wimbledon.

Molik is still suffering the effects of the virus vestibular neuronitis which affects the middle and inner ear, causing loss of balance and energy and disturbing vision.

"I feel quite lethargic a lot of the time, I feel like I miscue the ball quite a lot. I do lose vision of the ball," Molik said.

"I haven't been serve-volleying on grass because I find it incredibly difficult to serve at the speed I do and then meet the ball at the net.

"I've changed my game, staying back because I don't have the reaction time to move forward and see the ball.

spac_writeAd('/SITE=NEWS/AREA=SPORT/LOC=TOP/AAMSZ=MEDIUM')"I struggle visually, going up for a smash or moving my head quickly is difficult for me.

"Unfortunately the game I play is hard enough when you're 100 per cent, let alone when you're functioning at 70 per cent.

"It's no fun going to a tournament when you hope to get through one round. That's not what I'm about."

In the contest between pride in performance and medical reality on one hand and determination and ambition on the other, Molik eventually had to be prudent, no matter how much she wanted to play at Wimbledon.

"I've given it a go. There's nothing more that I possibly could have done, so it's a relief in a way that I tried," Molik said.

"I've dealt with it pretty well, and this is the right decision, instead of remaining frustrated and playing just for the purpose of walking out on a tennis court."

Molik made the decision to withdraw from Eastbourne and Wimbledon without consulting a doctor, just as she made the choice to go back on the tour so early despite most cases of this virus lingering for about six months.

Rather than setting herself up for further disappointment by targeting a comeback at the US Open as she had for Wimbledon, Molik was now prepared to be patient and wait for her body to tell her when to return.

"At the start of my recovery it was really on my mind that I'd be playing Wimbledon," Molik said.

"That got me very motivated, and at this point in time its extremely disappointing.

"This time I'm not going to put a time frame on it.

"I'll be healthy when I'm healthy, I'll be right when I'm right."

After announcing her withdrawal, Molik was on the telephone to arrange a flight back to Australia.

"Wimbledon is an event I never would have dreamed of missing, and here I am going to miss it," Molik said.

"It's heartbreaking.

"Maybe I will be able to sit back on the couch with Mum and Dad and watch it.

"I never thought I would be watching it on the couch again."

Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=19145

Get better soon!!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Yeh it is on channel 9 as well with good ol' Ken.

The draw is out. The womens draw sucks...I think they should re-do the draw :D..in one of the qtrs they have Venus, Serena, Mary, Juju and in the other one they have Amelie, Nastysa and Elena D..hahahaha.

Rafy has a pretty good draw.

could be Marat vs Lleyton in the qtrs. Possilbe Lleyton vs James in the 2nd round.

Ferrero is Federers part of the draw :(...I already knew it was going to happen though I had a dream about it.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/r1s1.html

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
You had a dream about Ferrero being in Federer's part of the draw? Wow you really live tennis huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)