The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Safin accuses Ferrero of child's play

HAMBURG, Germany, May 11 (Reuters) - A furious Marat Safin accused Juan Carlos Ferrero of acting like a 14-year-old after losing 4-6 6-4 6-2 to the Spaniard in the second round of the Hamburg Masters on Wednesday.

The Russian third seed had a long argument with the chair umpire at 2-0 down in the second set after an overrule and was infuriated when an impatient Ferrero asked the official to order Safin to resume playing.

"I don't understand what Ferrero was complaining about," said Safin, whose rivalry with the Spaniard dates back to their time as juniors. "I grew up with the guy basically, we've known each other for 11 years and the guy is doing this to me.

"I don't think it was really polite from his part. You have to act like a gentleman. I'm not trying to cheat anybody, I'm just asking (about the call), I'm just trying to prove my point.

"But don't give me this attitude, like a kid who is 14 years old."

The Australian Open champion, who also lost to Ferrero at the Monte Carlo Masters last month, added: "He should realise himself, he's 25 years old, a little bit grown up, he's played a lot of tournaments and we've known each other 11 years.

"I don't need to cheat anybody. I'm trying to win the match. It really pissed me off."

CALM FERRERO

Ferrero, who is beginning to rediscover the form that brought him the French Open title in 2003, said he hoped their friendship would not be damaged by the incident.

"Sometimes Marat gets a little bit nervous and then he does something like this," he said. "I tried to stay calm and focus on the next point.

"The umpire can't spend three minutes talking with a player, he had to stop it. Three minutes is too much.

"But Marat is like this sometimes. I know him and am very friendly with him. I hope this doesn't mean too much in the relationship."

He also rejected Safin's claim that he had been talking to his coach constantly during the match.

"My coach talked to me one or two times in the whole match, exactly the same as his coach," said Ferrero, whose win set up a last 16 clash with another Russian, Nikolay Davydenko.

"I'm feeling really good physically. I feel I can beat anybody," said the Spaniard, who has slipped to number 39 in the rankings after a succession of fitness problems.

Now Marat I love you but having heard from ppl who saw the match Marat was being totally unreasonable and if any1 is acting childish it was him

Marat always does this when he is not playing as well as he would like or is losing. In Barcelona he did the samething with his Nadal comment. The OAF is back.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
This is what my friend who watched the match rote about the whole exchange

yeah i got to watch the whole match cos i was off school sick today (handily enough ). in the first set, marat was literally, hitting thru jc. he was overpowering him. and even at that it was fairly close. jc's defence thru the whole match was brilliant. jc had like 6 break pts and on nearly all of them, marat would come out with this huge big first serve. then when jc double faulted on set point *doh*!

second set was better jc broke in the 1st game despite marat cruising at 40-0 and it went on serve after that. but the whole incident with marat and the umpire happened a few games after that...marat was serving at 40-30 i think and he hit a serve straight down the middle, jc returned it sortof weakly and then stopped playing and turned around to the linesman behind him, while marat moved up the court and finished the point. and then the umpire came down and called it out. and it clearly was out like, the hawkeye thing showed it. and then, i think they replayed the point or something, but andyways, it went to deuce. and thats when marat went to the umpire. i could hear everything cos the microphones were picking everything up perfectly. marat kept saying "why the fuck did u call it out" and then after a few times umpire said "watch your language plz" and marat said "well it just pisses me off". ok i laughed at that!! but i really didnt get his argument. and neither did our commentators. and neither did the umpire. so marat got up the ladder. and then he went back, won the game and at the changover he was still giving out. and when it came back after the ad break he was still talking to him. and thats when i saw jc saying something. he was walking down the other end and said something to the umpire. and in fairness, if i was jc, i'd have been pretty annoyed with safin. he kept going on about it like! it would;ve been different if it was a highly important point/game that safin had lost but he won the game. and yet he still was giving out! and even after that he got the umpire down a few times to question a few marks.

but jc in the 3rd played really well. overall, it was a great match, both players played really well. marat made far too many UE's tho. but both hit some spectacular shots. jc was "playing like when he won the french" so the commentators said

and interesting bit at the end, as marat was walking off court, some guy came out and stuck a micraphone in his face and started asking him questions! who does that after people lose??? but andyways, it showed jc when they were asking marat questions. and he stopped and listened. i couldnt hear what they were saying to marat tho...

sarevok

HSC
Ferrero should be ashamed of himself, if he had a problem he should have spoken to Marat directly, given that they're supposedly friends.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I dont' agree Marat was being a total fucking headcase and the umpire wasn't doing anything about it. Instead he was just humouring him.

JC is a very non-confrontational soft-spoken person and him and Marat are friends so no doubt they will work this out. Marat meanwhile just sounds like a 14 yr old.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
apparently he 'fell' and injured two ribs at home, so now he is in doubt for the french open!!

Breaking news- Rafael Nadal is in doubt for the FO according to Eurosport due to his hand cut which forced him to withdraw (as he should have earlier) from Hamburg. He will probably be ok but i hate the idea of even rumors like this going around..Will Rafy ever be able to play the FO? He always seems to get injured.

sarevok

HSC
Davydenko def Ferrero 3-6 6-2 6-1 :D

Always happy to see Ferrero lose :p

tempco

HSC
Sweets said:
apparently he 'fell' and injured two ribs at home, so now he is in doubt for the french open!!

Breaking news- Rafael Nadal is in doubt for the FO according to Eurosport due to his hand cut which forced him to withdraw (as he should have earlier) from Hamburg. He will probably be ok but i hate the idea of even rumors like this going around..Will Rafy ever be able to play the FO? He always seems to get injured.
i heard his ribs actually had some damage... cracked or something. that would hurt.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I like Ferrero. I like Marat too, but Ferrero's also pretty coo. Everyone in that post Sampras crop of talent (Federer, Safin, Roddick, Ferrero, Hewitt, Moya) are pretty cool except those last 2.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
sarevok said:
Davydenko def Ferrero 3-6 6-2 6-1 :D

Always happy to see Ferrero lose :p
Well Ferrero never liked Hamburg anyway...he's just saving himself for the FO.

I'm pleased with his run on clay. He has only lost to players ranked higher then him and has significantly improved his ranking. I'm not expecting him to win Roland Garros or even have a great result but Ferrero and Roland Garros is a special combination. He has the best record there never failing to the reach the semi-final (last yr doesnt count cause he was injured and shouldnt have played).

I heard the first set was great but Juanqui just couldn't keep it up. Perhaps he was tired. He did have to play qualies after all as well.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
Rafy has to play the FO it's just not fair :(
i planon having foxtel back by then....
*sighs* tennis... heaven

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Never fear Rafy will be there.. I'm so glad he is playing and even if he didn't and some1 else won I think it would feel incomplete for them.

This yrs Roland Garros is shaping up to be fabulous. Roger wants to get the only slam that has alluded him, Coria wants to make up for last yr, Nadal is playing superb. Add to that Gaudio who when he is on is fabulous on clay, a resurgent Ferrero, the OAF Marat, Frenchie Richie...and Moya, Nalbandian, Davydenko, Lopez, Roddick etc ( :D ok maybe not Roddick on clay) but it is shaping up to be quite a exciting draw.

My dream semi's

Marat vs Federer

Ferrero vs Nadal

I think everyone knows the final I would want but watching these matches regardless of the winners would be a treat enough.

sarevok

HSC
Is the FO shown on free-to-air?

Who's every one picking for the winner? I'm going to have to go with Federer, this is probably his best opportunity. Imo there's a lack of great claycourters in the world atm - Coria is a choker, Gaudio and Robredo are too erratic, Moya hasn't been in very good form, JCF still isn't at his best and due to the low seeding will have a battle to do well, and Guga, Costa etc. are fading. Nadal is great of course but he hasn't hit his peak yet and I'd still give Federer the edge, and I expect Gasquet to go out relatively early (if he could even manage to beat Federer twice). So, yeah, I'll have to go with Roger, I can't see any one but Nadal beating him

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hehe.. Safin vs Federer in the semis again. I'd love to see Marat win the French this year.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
It would be hilarious if Marat won because other then winning the aus open he has had a shit house yr and not won anything else and if he won the FO he would have won only 2 tournies but deffinetly the one's that matter most.

I'm being loyal to Ferrero and Safin.

I know everyone expects Rafy to win but winning Roland Garros on debut is alot to ask. Although if anyone can do it, Rafa can.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i'm still betting no federer dispite nadal's good form.

then again we could all be wrong and wayne arthurs could take it out, lol

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Come on Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Patty Schnyder too, but I'll quit uni and whore myself on King's Cross before I supported her against Maria :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)