The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Once again no Roland Garros coverage on free to air television. Jesus fucking Christ what is happening..Even sevens delayed coverage with the retarded Bruce was better then this.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
The Roland Garros draw is out. Marat vs Ferrero in the 3rd round :( I knew it was going to happen.

Potential Rafy vs Rogi semi

In other news Serena Williams withdrew.

Anastasia has a very good draw. So she should be able to defend some of the points she got last yr but then again nothing would suprise me.

Ferrero/Safin vs Roger final. With Ferrero/Safin winning 2-6 -7-6 3-6 7-5 12-10 :D

Elena D or Kim Clijsters for the womens title.

Although Juju would be the favourite rite now.

If you wanna see the draw go to www.rolandgarros.org

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
damn, molik and hewitt aren't playing. stupid australian tennis.

well.... go sophie ferguson and wayne arthurs...

Hynesy

HSC
N/A
Nadal is the bomb

Nadal is the next big thing. He's got the heart for it. He doesn't give up and he's got balls when it comes to pionts. I see him doing well on the clay. If he wants to go better on the hardcourt and rebound he's going to have to be fit. His ground stroke are too wippy, not enough power to win short pionts. But then again he is a fit bastard, so he should be big. He'll win the French open in next two years.

sarevok

HSC
Federer and Nadal both have reasonably difficult draws. Coria's draw is so easy, it's a joke.

The Ferrero/Safin match would be interesting. Bad luck for Safin, I think Ferrero will win easily, but if Ferrero lost before the third round Safin would probably play Santoro, which he would no doubt hate even more. 'Being told I'm going to play Santoro is like being told I'm going to die' was iirc Safin's quote upon losing to Santoro for the seventh time.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm not religious, but I'll say a prayer a day for Marat so he can get through this time. He's such a great character.

sarevok

HSC
Interesting comment by Federer.

"If I could choose between winning Wimbledon or Roland Garros, I would always pick Wimbledon. And, looking a long time into the future, if I was to win Wimbledon 10 times but never managed to win the French Open and was then given the choice, I would pick an 11th Wimbledon title rather than a first French.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1622169,00.html

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Day one's complete with no surprises. Always good to see the big names get through the first round.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Defending champion Myskina sadly flames out, Venus Flies
By Matt Cronin
Monday, May 23, 2005

Anastasia Myskina became the first defending champion in the history of the Open era to lose her first round match when she played miserably in a 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 loss to Spain's Maria Sanchez Lorenzo on Monday.

But 2002 finalist Venus Williams moved ahead, taking down Spain's Marta Marrero 6-3, 6-2.

Unable to focus and utterly lacking confidence in her shot selection, Myskina careened 69 unforced errors in the contest and was broken nine times. Saddled with a sore shoulder, the Russian was unable to ratchet up her service speed. Moreover, because she lacked faith in the types of strategies she employed, she frequently hit the ball from bad positions, resulting in inconsistent play.

"Right now, it's really difficult to understand what I have to do on court," she said. "When the ball comes to me, I don't know what I have to do, where I have to put the ball. I have no confidence at all right now."

The Spanish veteran played a gutsy and consistent contest, attacking Myskina's serves, rushing the net when given the opportunity and hanging tough from the baseline.

But Myskina - who has been in emotional turmoil all year long due to her mother Galina's life-threatening illness - was a shadow of the woman who won the title last year. In 2004, she coolly dissected the field. This year, she simply imploded.

"Right now I can lose to anybody," she said. "No matter who's playing against me, the girl's winning. She played normal tennis. I can't say she did something special to beat me."

Myskina is so down on herself that she has no idea why she's playing the way she is, or how she is supposed to get herself out of her funk. She said that when she's approaching the ball, what's going through her mind is "that I lost the ball again. My shot decision is not there now. I think I should play more matches, because that's when you really know what to do. Now, as soon as the ball comes to me, I don't know what to do with the ball."

Sanchez was pleased with her overall play, but didn't wildly celebrate her win, because she's aware of Myskina's personal troubles.

"Obviously she's not playing as well as last year," the Spaniard said. "But people told me about her personal problems. It's not about her game. I think it's about her mind. I feel so sorry for her. I don't think I had to make a great show of my victory. I hope she will recover soon. I know she will be top 10 again very soon."

Williams came into Roland Garros after winning her first title in nearly 14 months in Istanbul. The 24-year-old started slowly against Marrero, but then found the range on her searing groundstrokes. Playing well inside the court, she consistently attacked the Spaniard, nailing 38 winners to only 16 from her foe.

"My level is good," said Williams. "I'm going to keep working hard to be consistent, move my feet and that kind of thing. I got better as the match went on. I'm actually quite good as the points go longer, because sometimes I get a little wild."

While she hasn't produced consistently elite tennis since 2003, Venus still believes she can contend for the title.

"I try not to listen to the talk because everyone can talk, but there's few who can walk the walk," she said.

Anasatasia :( Hope your mum gets better soon. It must be so tough on her.

All my other favourites got through. Kim, Venus, Daniela, Rafa, Fed, Lindsay, Elena. I still feel upset about Nastysa though.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
No, one of my best friends is Russian though so I think that's her rubbing off on me.

Marat the headcase wins the first set 6-1 and now losses the 2nd 4-6. I hope your still praying Jim_Green, cause Marat's going to need it.

Ferrero on the other hand model of consistency is leading 6-4 6-3.

Justine wins the first set 6-0 and losses the next 6-4. We have a 3 setter.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I leave this thread alone for 2 days and it goes dead. Don't tell me you guys were all too wrapped up in Origin as well :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
jim_green said:
I leave this thread alone for 2 days and it goes dead. Don't tell me you guys were all too wrapped up in Origin as well :p
rep football is crap because it takes players away from club football

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Andy is out. That was to be expected though. He always does this retarded preparation for Roland Garros and until he changes that he will never make it to the 2nd wk of Roland Garros. 'The American Quarter' of the draw is now totaly open with the loss of Andy and Andre.

OMG some totally drool worthy 3rd round matches.

Venus vs Sesil Karatantcheva
Kim vs Daniela. H

AND
Richie VS Rafa- too exciting

AND
Marat VS JC

Marat is injured though so i hope he gets better in time for his match :(

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Kim vs Daniela? Damn.. I hate to see Daniela get destroyed so early :(

Sweets said:
Marat is injured though so i hope he gets better in time for his match
Does this mean you'll be going for Marat?

Sweets said:
Richie VS Rafa- too exciting
If I didn't have exams I'd go to the pub to see this.. still Nadal's surely the overwhelming favourite.

Sweets said:
Venus vs Sesil Karatantcheva
Sesil who?

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
jim_green said:
Sesil who?

15 yr old Bulgarian girl. Last yr before she was going to play Maria Sharapova at Indian Welles said she was going to 'kick her ass' (she took a set off her) and now she has just beat Venus in one of the ugliest tennis matches I have ever seen. Full credit to her though she is only 15 and while she has some major weaknesses (serve and forehand) she is only 15 (to use a Mariaism) and deffinetl will improve)

Venus post match interview
Q. What happened today? Do you have any explanation?

VENUS WILLIAMS: You know, I think I had an early break in the first, or I got broken early. But then after that I think, you know, she kind of changed her game completely and started hitting a lot of slow balls.

You know, I wanted to keep playing the aggressive game. But, you know, each ball was like close to the line, but according to the umpire every one out. I just maybe went for too much. Basically just too many errors.

Q. Is there any way in your own mind how you can go from playing pretty decently in other matches, winning a tournament last week, to almost fall apart today?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Every tournament's different, so...

Q. I know you just came off court, but again, in the third set, did you lose rhythm a little bit? Could you not deal with the slow balls? What was going through your head there?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I just came off the court, so I have to think about it. But maybe just, you know, rushing too much, too many errors.

Q. No aces, seven double‑faults today. Is there an issue with your serve right now in terms of finding the range?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think ‑‑ yeah, I don't think I had my range for my serve this tournament. You know, just wasn't good.

Q. How are you feeling right now?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, right now I'm just I guess preparing for the next tournament. That's all I can do.

Q. Tough loss. You seem pretty down. Is it pretty shocking, given how you were playing coming in?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. It's fairly disappointing. Just disappointing.

Q. Two of 22 Americans are in the next round. Do you have any explanation for why the Americans are doing so bad this year on clay here in Paris?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I have no explanation.

Q. Did you have an issue with your lower leg? You had a wrap on it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No.

Q. Why were you wearing that thing then?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I had no issues.

Q. Talk about your opponent. She had a pretty decent breakout year last year. She's only 15. To be able to beat a four‑time Grand Slam champion like you, she's got to be doing some things pretty decent?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. I'd never heard of her or seen her before this match. I think she played well, definitely. But I also felt like if I just played 10% better, you know, I'm going to win this match easy. You know, it's obviously great for her. But at the same time, I felt like, "Wow." You know, I kind of beat myself.

Q. Are you confident things are going to turn around for you in the short‑term or do you think it's now more of a long‑term process until you get the confidence back and things start clicking week after week?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I just think that ‑‑ I don't know. I don't really think about that, to be honest.

Q. You and Serena climbed to heights that were never seen before. You had such marvelous performances. Right now it's not going well. Do you expect those days can be regained?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I feel like, you know, I'm a great player, but this is just not the best result for me right now.

Q. Do you feel you and Serena can climb to the top again?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I definitely think so.

Q. What would be a good Wimbledon for you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Obviously a win would be nice.

Q. As you move forward, getting ready for Wimbledon and beyond, will you consider changing any fundamental way you approach your practices, whether it's considering any kind of coaching relationship, or does it feel to you like the thing to do is just to work harder on the path that you've been working?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that I'll continue on my path (smiling).

Q. What are you going to do to prepare for Wimbledon? Are you going back home?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I'm going home, and I'm not playing any tournaments before. Just Wimbledon.

Q. You mentioned Zina was getting after you to do more serve and volley. Are you going to go ahead and commit to doing that there or are you still working on that part of your game?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Maybe, but, I don't know, I like being at the baseline.

Q. We feel sorry and embarrassed to ask you questions when you apparently don't really like to answer because you just lost. Don't you think you should give to yourself a little more time before coming to a press conference?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, because I'm ready to leave. I have nothing else to do here, no doubles, no mixed. I'm just ready to go.

Q. That's the main issue, you want to leave?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I really am ready to go.

I really like Venus but all her excuses are begining to annoy me. When she lost to Molik at the AO, If played 10% better. Loses to Sesil 'I'm a great player' 'If I only did this better by 10%'....should, would, could.

The truth is she needs to work on her forehand and 2nd serve because technically they are not working..Today when all the girls on tour are as strong as her and hit the ball as hard people are going to expose those weaknesses.

Myskina and Venus have also totally fucked up their quarter of the draw with their abysmal preformes. Now its going to be Loit/Gilardi vs Karantantcheva in one of the 4th round matches. and then one of them is going to be in the 1/4s hopefully vs Lena. D. If Elena doesn't make the semi's with the cake walk draw she has now it will be a total choke. And I hope Sesil takes this opportunity to make her first Slam 1/4s.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
jim_green said:
Does this mean you'll be going for Marat?
Hmm i don't know. I think the organisers do this to me on purpose just to pain me. Even though Marat is the world. no3 he appears to be the underdog here with his injury and the fact that Ferrero has beaten him twice on clay this season. And I always go for the underdog in Marat/Ferrero matches.

But something else tells me that if Ferrero gets past Safin he will go far + Marat already has his Slam for this year. So if Ferrero wins and then goes on to win the whole tournament (which after seeing Rafael play against Richard I think it is Rafa who is deffinetly the person to beat, luckily Fed and Nadal are on the opposite side of the draw)Both of them will have won the 2 first slams of the season.

Ok that doesn't make sense. but basically it reflects how I have no idea who I am going for. I look forward to the match though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)