The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (2 Viewers)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
*Minka* said:
Well, I have got exactly what I didn't want - Australia and Croatia fighting each other for that last spot. This is so weird fot me because it is literally half of my heart vs the other half of my heart - my homeland against my new homeland. I am still awake, sitting here in the wee hours of the morning on my bed in a Munich hotel just thinking. When I got home, I laid out some of my stuff - my Croatian jersey and supporter stuff and my Australian support stuff and Jersey. I literally have two sets of supporter stuff - jerseys, hair ribbons, you know. I jsut looked at the two jerseys for a while, one in each hand mulling. I know to a lot of people it is jsut football, but for me, this is the first time in nine years I have literally had to really think about who I am about the other - sure, I am Australian/Croatian, but at the end of the day, what wins out? Where are my true loyalites - the place I came from, or the place I choose to call home. It was weird, that first defining immigrant moment of 'so what are you Minka - an Aussie or a Croat?'.

Well, I thought about it, and you know what? I will be going for Australia. Yesterday, I chose to go to Australia's match instead of Croatia's and I know I made thr right decision. I am Australian now - I will always have my background and my roots and be proud of Croatia and all it has done and cheer for them when there is no Aussie team, but at the end of the day? I am an Australian now - that is who I am, not who I was and I will always be an Australian and I am proud of that, proud to be one of you guys and happy for all this country has given me. Croatia is a part of me - a part of me that is Australian and really, has known that for a while now but ssut needed something to make her say it.

So, I packed away my Croatian things into my suitcase and folded on my table, folded on my table, to be put in my backpack as we head for Stuttgart are an Australian jersey, Green and Gold hair ribbons and hair strakers, my skirt with green and gold stars and my Socceroos scarf. I am Australian, and as a proud Australian? I say Come on Socceroos.

Been an eventful day.
awesome post, thanks minka

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
i was almost in tears this morning when i saw the soccer on the news...but i guess aussie played the hardest they could...brazil are a tough team...

but we will *fingers crossed* win this friday...coz i will be watching and supporting and pray for them

GO THE SOCCEROOS

B35tY

HSC
Only need a draw. Surely we can do that, given Croatia's inability to convert any scoring opportunity ever.

otay

HSC
Hopefully. We'll go for win though. Our defence is pretty sound I feel (Brazil had one decent chance, when our full defence was there, that they scored on) and scoring will give us confidence. Kennedy needs a run I feel. He's such a handful for defences, the type of player that can cause trouble and set up goals just through his presence (big dude with decent skill)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
i must say, people are being very very carefree about 'oh, all we need is a draw' as if it is going to happen inevitably. sure, they lost against the world champs, but it doesnt justify they will win or draw against any other team, particularly croatia. if croatia could manage a 1-0 loss against brazil, then australia are in for a tough time against croatia.

u might say...croatia played shit against japan. well, it doesnt mean that croatia would play shit against australia. im assuming that we all learn from our mistakes so that we always improve in the future. croatia would be more cautious and more prepared against australia than against its preparation against brazil and japan put together.

so, this doesnt mean that australia should slack off now. go for gold!

more to come...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Croatia are gonna be just as fired up as we are, also it will be pretty intense with a large contingent of Australia Croats (or Croatian Aussies, whatever way you look at it) in the squad. Should be an absolute cracker. The streets will be in mayhem if we make it through on Friday morning.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
oh and just readon the fifa site.........if japan DO beat brazil by 2 goals, even though we'd be equal on points and goal difference (assuming we got a draw with brazil), they'd go through cause they will have scored more goals
The scenario is highly unlikely though.

Anyway, even if say the Japanese conjour up a 2-nil win, and we end up in a scoreless draw with Croatia, we'd still go through:
Goal differences = 0 for both
Goals scored = 3 for both
Goals conceded = 3 for both
Head-to-Head = Australia beat Japan 3-1.

Suits.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
copious said:
Croatia are gonna be just as fired up as we are, also it will be pretty intense with a large contingent of Australia Croats (or Croatian Aussies, whatever way you look at it) in the squad. Should be an absolute cracker. The streets will be in mayhem if we make it through on Friday morning.
Federation Square would go off. :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
fuck it i cant figure it out im too tired

theres no way the japs'll beat the brazillians anyway, unless brazil deliberately throw the game. which i would find highly unlikely
lol, no brazil won't throw it. THat'd be stupid of them, they wanna qualify first. If they throw the game, and we beat croatia, this could mean that we top the group, still.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
furthermore, i hope that no one bets on togo :p especially considering all that's been happening with them, recently.
I put $20 on the swiss, for an $8 profit, although they may have trouble scoring, but overall, considering togo didn't even want to get on the plane to the match, the swiss should win.
Furthermore, how stupid is togo. I mean, really, they have an amazing chance of making it through, especially since france drew with SK.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
stazi said:
furthermore, i hope that no one bets on togo :p especially considering all that's been happening with them, recently.
I put $20 on the swiss, for an $8 profit, although they may have trouble scoring, but overall, considering togo didn't even want to get on the plane to the match, the swiss should win.
Furthermore, how stupid is togo. I mean, really, they have an amazing chance of making it through, especially since france drew with SK.
Very true.

But....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Paragon said:
yes, i read that article, as I'm saying they have an amazing chance of going through, yet there's all this "turmoil" in the camp over money issues.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
lol, no brazil won't throw it. THat'd be stupid of them, they wanna qualify first. If they throw the game, and we beat croatia, this could mean that we top the group, still.
Brazil is guaranteed top spot due to the superior head-to-head result against Australia, but still they wouldn't wanna throw the game away to Japan. I see that they might allow some fringe players to come in, such as Juninho, Robinho etc.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Brazil is guaranteed top spot due to the superior head-to-head result against Australia, but still they wouldn't wanna throw the game away to Japan. I see that they might allow some fringe players to come in, such as Juninho, Robinho etc.
Brazil + 3
Australia 0

Japan beats brazil 3-0 (as they'll need to beat us, if they expect a draw for our game against the croats)
We end up winning 1-0, for instance at the 90 min mark (so neither Japan or brazil knows the score and will have to work for a 3-0 japan scoreline)

Brazil 0
Australia +1

6 pts each.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
that ref was so bias (kewell was right to tell him off, i just hope it dosent have any bad repurcussions) and the brazllians are a bunch of actors. we had some good oppurtunites especially in the second half. i cant wait for friday morning, they should be good games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)