• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Real Madrid iz reportedly close to a deal wit Cassano, WTF, another forward...? They must be out of their mindz.

Oh and Maniche iz close to joinin Chelsea, lookz like another bench warmer.

nedzelic

HSC
Benny_ said:
Vote For your UEFA team of the year.

Silly of them to include Lampard as a CM when he rarely ventures any further back than the opponent's 18 yd box. I guess he'd have just been swallowed by the likes of Kaka and Ronnie at AM. As an AM, he might be better than Gerrard, but Gerrard is many times the CM he is. Ah well.
this must be a late candidate for dumbest comments of the year

^___^
HSC
nedzelic said:
do you lot even watch football?
given that there was only CM and AM, i would assume CM is used as a defensive role, rather than a box-to-box player. So please don't tell me Lampard is a better defensive player than Gerrard

nedzelic

HSC
... said:
given that there was only CM and AM, i would assume CM is used as a defensive role, rather than a box-to-box player. So please don't tell me Lampard is a better defensive player than Gerrard
gerrard is a very attacking midfielder who has often been used as either a free role or actually up front with one other striker

lampard is indeed box-to-box; the definirtion of which includes the fgact that they defend and get forward, so i would suggest that lampard is indeed better at defending than gerrard, as defedning is a more important part of his game; not by that much though really.

nedzelic

HSC
yeah! thommo in champs leagye, hopefully
mala suerte for melbourne pero top stuff for australia

i hope sash and colosimo make similiar loan moves

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Uefa Team of the Year
Cech
Belletti Carragher Alex Del Horno
Joaquin Lampard Ronaldinho Malouda
Henry Toni

nedzelic

HSC
RUB!X said:
Uefa Team of the Year
Cech
Belletti Carragher Alex Del Horno
Joaquin Lampard Ronaldinho Malouda
Henry Toni
no eto'o? come on!

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Hey guys. Happy New Year!

Perhaps not so for Mickey, whose out for three months. The only player at Newcastle that has looked like they can turn around their rut is out for most of the rest of the season. Ha hahaha.

Good to see Timmy hit the back of the net.

Anyway, cant wait tonites match gainst Hearts. Should be a bewdy.

Oh, and I might thro my uefa team into the mix as well:

Cech
Belleti
Terry
Carragher
Maldini
Becks
Gerrard
Ronnie
Malouda
Adriano
Eto'o

Hiddink

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
nedzelic said:
gerrard is a very attacking midfielder who has often been used as either a free role or actually up front with one other striker

lampard is indeed box-to-box; the definirtion of which includes the fgact that they defend and get forward, so i would suggest that lampard is indeed better at defending than gerrard, as defedning is a more important part of his game; not by that much though really.
This last sentence suggests to me it is in fact you who doesn't watch football. Lampard isn't even in the same class as Gerrard for defending. If you watch Chelsea games you'll realise that he's quite often anonymous except for his goal contributions. Gerrard you will see is involved in everything. Hahaha.. Lampard better defender than Gerrard, that's a good one.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How do you guys watch football, via fox (or sbs when they show it) or internet streaming (if so where?).

nedzelic

HSC
Benny_ said:
This last sentence suggests to me it is in fact you who doesn't watch football. Lampard isn't even in the same class as Gerrard for defending. If you watch Chelsea games you'll realise that he's quite often anonymous except for his goal contributions. Gerrard you will see is involved in everything. Hahaha.. Lampard better defender than Gerrard, that's a good one.

come on man??? lampard is the perfect midfielder. he is the best in the world at the moment surely; i don't think many would argue against that. gerrard, granted can play brilliantly, but lampard is the definition of consistency; whereas gerrard, although getting better seemingly only lives up to his billing onr in every few games.

Benny_ said:
he's quite often anonymous except for his goal contributions.
???????? he controls everything chlesea do. he is chelsea. not only is he their leading scorer, he's a;lso the leading assister in the league, by a long way. i would have to completely disagree with you and say that he is almost never anonymous. he is involved with everything, as he is the main passer in the team. whereas with liverpool they have xabi who is the principle ball player, and therefore logic suggests that gerrard does not get as heavily involved as lampard.

Benny_ said:
Lampard better defender than Gerrard, that's a good one.
granted gerrard has good engines, but he plays better when he plasy further forward and plays further advanced than franky, so once again logic suggests that lampard defends more/better.

there is a reason that lampard is continually labelled a 'box-to-box' midfielder. he gets up and down the paerk from box to box, throguh the centre. he defends and attacks

gerrard is usually not labelled this as you will often see him fro both club and country play out wide, in behind the striker or whatever

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Oh yeh i almost forgot ... Hiddink as manager (Aussie miracle working weighed heavily on my decision) ... i read in the paper that Archie Thomsom is on his way over aswell (to PSV), will he be a success?
@ nedzelic ... i picked Henry because i'm Arsenal biased, and i was very impressed with Toni's recent form, although yes Adriano and Eto'o are both excellent choices, and they will probably win ...
@ waf - http://mediahopper.com/portal.htm ... http://www.coolstreaming.it/ (click on pplive and/or tvkoo) ...

Last edited:

nedzelic

HSC
uefa teams

i wouldv'e had belletti for sure - as seemingly everyone has had - but he has fallen out of favour a bit this season, for some reason

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
RUB!X said:
Oh yeh i almost forgot ... Hiddink as manager (Aussie miracle working weighed heavily on my decision) ... i read in the paper that Archie Thomsom is on his way over aswell (to PSV), will he be a success?
@ nedzelic ... i picked Henry because i'm Arsenal biased, and i was very impressed with Toni's recent form, although yes Adriano and Eto'o are both excellent choices, and they will probably win ...
@ waf - http://mediahopper.com/portal.htm ... http://www.coolstreaming.it/ (click on pplive and/or tvkoo) ...
Cheers :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
nedzelic said:
come on man??? lampard is the perfect midfielder. he is the best in the world at the moment surely; i don't think many would argue against that. gerrard, granted can play brilliantly, but lampard is the definition of consistency; whereas gerrard, although getting better seemingly only lives up to his billing onr in every few games.
Err.. no. If you watched Liverpool play every game as you claim you'd find that Gerrard is a contender for MOTM 9 out of 10 games. While Lampard's goal scoring stastics are yd impressive, I have to stress that this is because he's always up around the 18 yd box. He does VERY little to track back and help out with the defence because in truth Chelsea's system does not even require him to when they have Essien and Makelele doing that job quite capably. Lampard's role in the Chelsea XI is similar to Deco's in Mourinho's Porto.. the attacking midfielder.

Gerrard plays out wide for England on occasion because Sven is a dipshit and can't seem to figure out his midfield properly. I think Lampard's and Gerrard's difficulties coordinating defence and attack are quite well documented.

Over the past 2 seasons Gerrard hasn't played as a box to box CM as he had previously. This is quite simply explained by Rafa's choice of formation and a lack of quality on the right. Last year Rafa preferred a 4-5-1 formation with Gerrard pushing up behind a lone striker. After our troubles at the start of the season he has switched to 4-4-2 with 2 CMs (Alonso and either Hamann or Momo so far) and Stevie on the right. Benitez has spoken several times this season about the need to purchase a quality RM, when that time comes, Gerrard will return to the centre where his influence is most felt.

nedzelic

HSC
Benny_ said:
Err.. no. If you watched Liverpool play every game as you claim you'd find that Gerrard is a contender for MOTM 9 out of 10 games. While Lampard's goal scoring stastics are yd impressive, I have to stress that this is because he's always up around the 18 yd box. He does VERY little to track back and help out with the defence because in truth Chelsea's system does not even require him to when they have Essien and Makelele doing that job quite capably. Lampard's role in the Chelsea XI is similar to Deco's in Mourinho's Porto.. the attacking midfielder.

Gerrard plays out wide for England on occasion because Sven is a dipshit and can't seem to figure out his midfield properly. I think Lampard's and Gerrard's difficulties coordinating defence and attack are quite well documented.

Over the past 2 seasons Gerrard hasn't played as a box to box CM as he had previously. This is quite simply explained by Rafa's choice of formation and a lack of quality on the right. Last year Rafa preferred a 4-5-1 formation with Gerrard pushing up behind a lone striker. After our troubles at the start of the season he has switched to 4-4-2 with 2 CMs (Alonso and either Hamann or Momo so far) and Stevie on the right. Benitez has spoken several times this season about the need to purchase a quality RM, when that time comes, Gerrard will return to the centre where his influence is most felt.

sorry i didn't know you were a liverpool supporter; it's hard to view things from a nuetral perspective

Benny_ said:
While Lampard's goal scoring stastics are yd impressive, I have to stress that this is because he's always up around the 18 yd box. He does VERY little to track back and help out with the defence because in truth Chelsea's system does not even require him to when they have Essien and Makelele doing that job quite capably.
granted makelelelele sits back, and essien is a capable tackler, of the games essien has not played in the last couple of seasons (ie only about 10 since he came this season) that position has either been mendez's, gudjohson's or even joe cole's and lampard has been integral in breaking up play - although often makelele has done it (just as hamman does it for liverpool)

plus, really essien is naturally quite an attacking player (if you remember his lyon days where he scored quite frequently and they had diarra to do more defensive
work) and so really it is not as if lampard is in behind. by nay strecth of the imagination

i just cannot disagree more with that lampard doens't defend, but seeing as you are a liverpool supporter, the one-eyedness is to be expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)