• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
No way Kewell should play. Lazaridis always plays wonderfully down the flanks, but as for a defensive mid type player - Grella, McKain or Skoko could play there. I would definitely try playing Popovic there, even though he is a traditional defender. Jason Culina could also be in an option, but I don't like Brank Culina (his dad) - so I hope he gets cut.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Prem Matches this weekend:

All matches are on Fox Sports 1.

Saturday, 13th August:
11:00pm - Everton v Man United - Highlights

Sunday, 14th August:
12:00am - West Ham v Blackburn - LIVE
2:15am - Middlesbrough v Liverpool - LIVE
10:30pm - Arsenal v Newcastle - LIVE

Monday, 15th August:
12:45am - Wigan v Chelsea – LIVE

Newcastle have been Bergkamp's bitches the past few years. Hopefully he'll wind back the clock for this one.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Only highlightz of the season opener..? How tight iz Fox. But then again therez the internet.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
They have previous commitments to both the NRL and The Ashes.

To be honest I'd rather watch the cricket than an Everton-United game :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
To be honest I'd rather watch the cricket than an Everton-United game :)
Baitin again huh...? Well I'll just say everyonez entitled to their own opinionz. :cool:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Komit said:
No way Kewell should play. Lazaridis always plays wonderfully down the flanks, but as for a defensive mid type player - Grella, McKain or Skoko could play there. I would definitely try playing Popovic there, even though he is a traditional defender. Jason Culina could also be in an option, but I don't like Brank Culina (his dad) - so I hope he gets cut.
Kewell will play if he gets through games with Liverpool, he's too gifted to leave out. Lazaridis is getting on a bit but hes never let us down. Both players are coming back from injuries.

johnny_87

HSC
So they will show replays of a NRL game played at 5:30 rather than show Man U v the Toffees?

What a joke.

niall045

HSC
A2RAYA said:
I don't think there's a chance in hell of kewell playing..full stop... the guy is constantly injured and when he isn't, he's never been in form...and benny, we got plenty of midfielders who can graft i.e mckain, colosimo.. and skoko i think plays that kind of position too...problem is mckain and colosimo have a lot of promise but never get a decent chance to impress or get played out of position...and don't forget vinny grella either...he's played a holding midfielder role before and did it well...forgot against who it was though
Id probably put mckain in centre back instead of popovic, mckain can play there n we need some new legs in there. skoko would sit in defensive mid or grella, but he doesnt play regularly enough with parma. he's still a good player though. kewell can piss off, im not sure who would fill in for him though, i dunno if cahill could play on the flanks or not. maybe

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Benny_ said:
Nesta, Cannavaro..who else? I'm not much of an expert on Italian backs outside the Milan ones :p
zambrotta nesta cannavaro and bonera, the 1st 3 would be picked in alot of "world XI's" ... and bonera is one the most promising young defenders in the world, then theres chiellini, oddo, bazagli.. put gattuso infront of them you have a pretty formidable defence... in theory...

real still wants owen to stay :rolleyes: im still looking forward to see how they rotate 5 strikers let alone 6.... bolton is chasing nakata (this is kinda typical bolton type of signing)...

edit: for those interested here is a compilation of park ji song's performance yesterday

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
zambrotta nesta cannavaro and bonera, the 1st 3 would be picked in alot of "world XI's" ... and bonera is one the most promising young defenders in the world, then theres chiellini, oddo, bazagli.. put gattuso infront of them you have a pretty formidable defence... in theory...
add to that defence the goalkeeping of Buffon...and it is even more formidable. I'm not a big fan of the Italian team though.

^___^
HSC
on paper i think italy's team is more all rounded than brazil's.
having said that, the italians are chokers, they never play their best in international tournments

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
CSKA Sofia 1-3 Liverpool (Cisse, Morientes x2)

Lots of positives to come out of this match, the best of which perhaps is Moro running into some form. Now if we can just get Kewell fit and firing, as well as a RM that can fire in some good crosses, we'll be pretty dangerous in the air, which we haven't been for a fair few seasons. The knowledge that we're safely through to the group stages isn't bad either.

How do you think the English teams will do int he CL this year? I'm not overly optimistic so I don't see Liverpool getting much further than the quarters at best, but I don't see us stumbling before that hurdle unless we get unlucky with the draw either. I predict Chelsea will make it to the final, where hopefully Barcelona will exact their revenge for last year's liasco. I don't see United and Arsenal going much further than Pool. All in the luck of the draw of course. Everton.. once again, highly doubtful that they'll make it to the group stages, but I think they might make some progress in the UEFA cup.

RedTommo

HSC
... said:
on paper i think italy's team is more all rounded than brazil's.
having said that, the italians are chokers, they never play their best in international tournments
Absolutely, yeah. I mean trying to fit Ronaldo, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Kaka into the same team is inevitably going to make you
a) Brilliant when you have the ball
b) A little bit lacking when you don't, especially when Roberto Carlos is holding up the left flank

I'm at a loss to understand how on Earth the Italians havn't performed much better at recent tournaments. I mean, they should at least be more than comfortable in their WCQ group.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Benny_ said:
CSKA Sofia 1-3 Liverpool (Cisse, Morientes x2)

Lots of positives to come out of this match, the best of which perhaps is Moro running into some form. Now if we can just get Kewell fit and firing, as well as a RM that can fire in some good crosses, we'll be pretty dangerous in the air, which we haven't been for a fair few seasons. The knowledge that we're safely through to the group stages isn't bad either.
Yes great to finally see Morientes' name on the score sheet, hopefully it will translate to more goals in the league...

I kno we hav Mark Gonzalez on our books, not sure if he is right or left sided, but according to Rafa he is an exciting winger and a great prospect...too bad his work permit was rejected :rolleyes:

EDIT: 500 :cool:

johnny_87

HSC
RedTommo said:
Absolutely, yeah. I mean trying to fit Ronaldo, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Kaka into the same team is inevitably going to make you
a) Brilliant when you have the ball
b) A little bit lacking when you don't, especially when Roberto Carlos is holding up the left flank

I'm at a loss to understand how on Earth the Italians havn't performed much better at recent tournaments. I mean, they should at least be more than comfortable in their WCQ group.

Well I don't think they'll have that much trouble. I think Kaka will be the one to miss out. And if Robinho plays up front either he or Ronaldo will miss out.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
How do you think the English teams will do int he CL this year? I'm not overly optimistic so I don't see Liverpool getting much further than the quarters at best, but I don't see us stumbling before that hurdle unless we get unlucky with the draw either. I predict Chelsea will make it to the final, where hopefully Barcelona will exact their revenge for last year's liasco. I don't see United and Arsenal going much further than Pool. All in the luck of the draw of course. Everton.. once again, highly doubtful that they'll make it to the group stages, but I think they might make some progress in the UEFA cup.
I think that any of the top 4 English teams (Chelsea, Arse, Utd, 'Pool), with a bit of luck, can win the Champions League. Everton, however..as you suggested will struggle to make it to the group stage.

As much as I hate to say it...I think that maybe this year it will be Arsenal's turn to do well in Europe. I'm really at a loss to explain why in the past premiership success hasn't translated into European success for Arsenal because out of all the English teams...their technical short-passing game seems the most tailor-made for European football.

At this point though...I predict a Chelsea v Milan final.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I dont think the Gunners have the strike force to go all the way in Europe. All it takes is a knock to Henry and their attack is goneskis. Bergkamp is vintage, but surely his body can only take so much playing premiership and champions league football.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
I dont think the Gunners have the strike force to go all the way in Europe.
I agree with what you are saying...but Liverpool went all the way last year with a depleted strike force. They couldn't use Morientes (because he was cup-tied); and Cisse was injured amongst many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)