• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 Thread (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ok cool. I guess those are good reasons for ps3 over xbox360.
Now all i need is a major price drop and for my dad to get over his absolute hatred for videogames.

Actually..we mite be getting a big lcd tv, i'll see if we can get a bravia with a free ps3.. for 'blu-ray' purposes ;).

And it does seem that it would take a while for developers to create games that use the ps3 to its FULL potential, using all 8 or so cores (or was it 6?), and maybe by then the next generation of consoles will be coming out?

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shinji said:
What I mean by life span, is that all the potential for the gaming system for better games have been exhausted. In terms of processor load, etc. The capabilities of the system have been known and have been utliised to the fulllest.
They haven't, though. Every year a game with better graphics, better physics, and better capabilities comes out. X360 or ps3 development hasn't plateaud yet. this 'potential' for the ps3 is cited every year as why "next year" the ps3 will be better. This hasn't yet been actualised despite both consoles being out for quite a while now. There is no ps3 game which from a technical perspective looks better, or has more impressive physics, than a 360 game (and vice versa).

fully223 said:
Well XB360's are mad cause you can mod the disc drives and play backups. Just my 2 cents
Yeah...and get banned from xbox live and brick their consoles, like most people have with flashed drive.

shinji said:
lol. Simply because the X360 has been out for longer, and rumour is that MSoft is rolling out new Xboxes sometime in the near future. As for the PS3, no gaming company has utilised the full potential of the PS3. Althoguh, Killzone will probably be the first to use all 6 cores at 60% load.
Rumour. Not fact. Rumour. There would be no advantage for MS to roll out a new console. Neither would there be one for the ps3. In fact, MS people have commented on how long this gen is likely to last as games keep improving. As for the 'cores' argument, a lot of it is marketing. Think back to the 360 launch: people were talking about how much better the ps3 will be as it has way more cores thus way better graphics, physics, etc. A year later, the same argument was being used, and then a year later, and a year later again, the same is said (despite no games actually benefiting from more cores yet).

It reminds me of the 'only the ps3 could run 1080p games' argument, despite most games (on both the 360 and ps3) running natively at 720p.

Omie Jay said:
ok cool. I guess those are good reasons for ps3 over xbox360.
Now all i need is a major price drop and for my dad to get over his absolute hatred for videogames.

Actually..we mite be getting a big lcd tv, i'll see if we can get a bravia with a free ps3.. for 'blu-ray' purposes ;).

And it does seem that it would take a while for developers to create games that use the ps3 to its FULL potential, using all 8 or so cores (or was it 6?), and maybe by then the next generation of consoles will be coming out?
If you can get a ps3 for free, definitely get it - you probably won't need a 360. If you need a blu-ray player, then yes, save some money overall by buying a ps3 (although be wary of high blu-ray prices: will you buy many blu-rays, or should you wait until they're more mainstream and blu-ray player prices plummet?)

However, if blu-ray isn't crucial for you, and you want an excellent gaming system almost indifferent to the ps3 (although with a better library of current games, then save yourself the $300 and buy an Xbox 360 instead.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
blu ray isnt a necessity for me, and most of the games i'd like to get are on both consoles anyway, its just that the game i REALLY want, god of war 3, is coming out only on ps3. Theres not really any xbox exclusive that im interested in, i never like the halo games, and i got gears of war 1 on my laptop (shame gow2 is not coming for pc) but i can live without playing gow2, but i cant live without playing god of war 3. That was my main dilemma, is it worth getting a game system which is $300 more costly, all for 1 game, but now that i consider the other qualities of ps3, wifi, internet accessible, bluetooth, blu-ray, i reckon it'd be better for me to get a ps3 after all.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fair enough, if you must play that game, there's no alternative.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ive played and finished god of war 1 and god of war on psp. theyre great games, but they wouldnt sell a system for me, especially when u consider how short they are

newmz89

Beer
HSC
i got a ps3, i like it guise. dun really care which one is better, ps3 is fun to play so yeahh.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
stazi said:
ive played and finished god of war 1 and god of war on psp. theyre great games, but they wouldnt sell a system for me, especially when u consider how short they are
gow 2 is much longer than first one, and the story climaxes at the very end, leaving a massive cliffhanger ending in which the player must find out what happens in the next installment.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Omie Jay said:
If anyone else has played and finished god of war 1 and 2, then they would understand my need.
I own both and I do understand why you'd go so far as to buy a console just to play a certain game.

I currently own an xbox 360 and ps3 (luckily enough, I got both for free) and as far as I'm concerned, I simply love it... I've been a playstation fan most of my life (i own all their consoles including the psp) but when you've got both consoles, all the exclusive titles worth playing are available to you. On top of that, you can avoid any potential problems in regards to a particular port of a game (like fallout 3? apparently the ps3 version is the worst because of some technical issues so I opted for the xbox 360 version instead).

Basically, I've only ever bought consoles just to play certain games? Isn't that the main point of getting a console in the first place?

Last thing I'll mention is how cool those DS's are... I bought my gf one recently and I've been hooked on ace attorney... Should not have bought a psp :(

08er

HSC
tallkid34 said:
I own both and I do understand why you'd go so far as to buy a console just to play a certain game.

I currently own an xbox 360 and ps3 (luckily enough, I got both for free) and as far as I'm concerned, I simply love it... I've been a playstation fan most of my life (i own all their consoles including the psp) but when you've got both consoles, all the exclusive titles worth playing are available to you. On top of that, you can avoid any potential problems in regards to a particular port of a game (like fallout 3? apparently the ps3 version is the worst because of some technical issues so I opted for the xbox 360 version instead).

Basically, I've only ever bought consoles just to play certain games? Isn't that the main point of getting a console in the first place?

Last thing I'll mention is how cool those DS's are... I bought my gf one recently and I've been hooked on ace attorney... Should not have bought a psp :(
however many of us do not have the luxury of owning both consoles, especially for free :p

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
tallkid34 said:
I currently own an xbox 360 and ps3 (luckily enough, I got both for free)
You lucky motherfucker.
And i have a DS, but its sorta boring now, no games out that i like. I got the R4 card so i can download whatever..but the only games i like are mario kart, castlevanias, and pokemon, and ive played em all so much. Currently im replaying Mario and Luigi Partners in Time, but theres no other ds game im interested, except perhaps pokemon platinum.

Plus, is bravia still giving away free ps3's with their lcd/plasma's? Which stores are having this deal?

Also, might i ask how exactly u got both consoles for free?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Plus, is bravia still giving away free ps3's with their lcd/plasma's? Which stores are having this deal?

Also, might i ask how exactly u got both consoles for free?
The bravia offer you mentioned is exactly how I got my ps3. My dad bought a tv and I got the ps3 however this offer happened back in July this year and that was mainly because they were getting rid of excess stock for both the olympics and because they were going to make the 40gb model obsolete with the introduction of the 80gb model.

The xbox 360 was a birthday present from my gf :)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
bravia deal is not running atm.

buy a full high def panasonic and get a free wii but! (just what ya need to show off your new whiz bang tv :uhoh:)

as far as i'm concerned, i've got a 360 and am quite happy with it. things built to break though, my lasers started to make funny noises. get a ps3 if ya wanna play gow3 that bad though.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I think the PS3 is a better console full stop. It has free internet play and blu ray compatibility. I also prefer Sony's exclusive developers (Insomiac, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog) over Microsoft's (Lionhead (Fable 2 is arse), Epic and Rare (What happened!!?)). The Playstation also has some really cool exclusives like Valkyria Chronicles. Alot of the best Xbox "exclusives" like Left for Dead and Mass Effect are still available and play better on PC. Xbox has the advantage of not having to put up with shithouse PC DRM.

However, it's cost doesn't justify its features, particularly for me because I don't have a HD compatible TV. So I just bought an Xbox Arcade and wii instead. I'm honestly very tempted to sell my Xbox though and upgrade to a PS3.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
neo o said:
I think the PS3 is a better console full stop. It has free internet play and blu ray compatibility. I also prefer Sony's exclusive developers (Insomiac, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog) over Microsoft's (Lionhead (Fable 2 is arse), Epic and Rare (What happened!!?)). The Playstation also has some really cool exclusives like Valkyria Chronicles. Alot of the best Xbox "exclusives" like Left for Dead and Mass Effect are still available and play better on PC. Xbox has the advantage of not having to put up with shithouse PC DRM.
No doubt its the better console, I think Sony just didn't realise or calculate it into their marketing. Having 9 cores is great, but if no one can make the games to use it, it seems rather silly, but I do enjoy seeing its application as a server (or a few as server farms) for those areas who do make use of its processing power.

Re: Exclusives, I haven't really minded certain exclusives (sans Little Big Planet, that thing just looks amazingly fun :() as most games are heading towards multi-platform these days. And the reason Rare are so shit is because the original members from the glory days mostly left before or just after Rare was acquired by MS, unfortunately their new company (Free Radical of Timesplitters fame) have also found it hard going after their recent game Haze ended up somewhat mediocre, and news was abound they'd closed but apparently that's not completely true, so we'll see what happens with those guys. Ahem. Back to Rare, they're basically Rare in name only.

The one thing preventing me from purchasing the PS3 at the moment is the lack of games I'd actually like to play, I do get through games fairly quick these days, and the 2-3 games I actually want to play that I can't get on an xbox aren't going to justify the price tag. Maybe in the future when I need a blu-ray player (lawl) then I might invest in one.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Free Radical has closed: the founder is reopening a new studio thought, from what I understand.

As for the ps3 exclusive developers the guy named:
Sucker punch: who only really develop the Sly games, which are kids' platformers. And have no entries on the ps3.
Naughty dog: again, platformers. The crash franchise sucks these days. Uncharted on the other hand is excellent.
Insomniac: what a surprise: kids platformers. Spyro sucks now and is out on 360 too. R&C is excellent. Resistance is their only non-platformer game and even that isn't great. Best to stick to third party developers
for FPS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)