the pill (2 Viewers)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i posted this a while ago after talking to my doctor about implanon:

Born Dancer said:
I was talking to my doctor about this last week. He says that he has never seen a case of a happy patient with the implanon. A couple things to consider that he mentioned:

- When lifting your arm (say for example holding on to a handle on a bus) this shows the implanon in your arm, and hence you should probably be comfortable with the assertion of being sexually active.

- The insertion device used to put the implanon in your arm uses a reverse technique to normal syringes. It's a pull back motion instead of a push forward. Also, the implanon is the same colour as this plunger thing in the device so there have been a couple of reported cases of pregnancies because the device was never put in at all.

- The level of hormones in the implanon are unpure (ie a mix with male hormones) and so there can be a lot of problems with increase body hair, acne and weight gain.

- Its apparently really difficult to get out.

- It can cause irregular bleeding /spotting.

I dont put this up to scare you, I have friends who have implanon and have absolutely no problems with it. My Doctor pointed out that he was being biased, and told me to go research it for myself. But to be honest, I am happy with the pill. I went on it ust over a year ago for acne problems, and I've had no real trouble with it.

The bottom line is that everyone reacts differently to different things. I would suggest talking to as many people as you can who have the implanon as well as your doctor.

As for IUDs, my doctor seemed to be much happier to suggest them - they get inserted into the womb, release a pure form of progesterone in slow release from what I can understand. Apparently they got a really bad name in the 70s but it has been proven now that their low success rate during this time was more a case of promiscuity than failure of the treatment itself.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
melsc said:
What time of day do people take theirs and which ones are you on?
I take Brenda 35-ED at around 7.45am after I clean my teeth before work. I often forget on the weekends though and take it a lot later, agh. And it's really hard when you don't have a permanent full-time job because otherwise there isn't often a lot of routine in the morning. Before I was working every day, I ended up taking the pill at night time so it could be a LITTLE bit more regular (though it was easy to forget that way too!).

lourai*87 said:
Fair enough... I tend to find any number of excuses to skip mine: "holidays", "exams", "assignments" etc. Its really no big deal to have one every now and then, its just i feel crap for the first day or so and prefer to avoid it.
Haha I don't even make excuses anymore. I simply skip them because I can't be bothered dealing with a period every month :p

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
so I asked my dad to pick up my pill script for me (lol) because he was passing by the chemist and it was convenient, and he came home with juliet. I was prescribed diane :/ he insists its the same thing, so there's no difference right? except apparently juliet is cheaper so he saved me about 30 bucks which I guess is good. but it's the same thing? (lol worry)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
different pills may have different ingredients etc, but so long as you start at the red section, it'll be okay (which is how you change over to different pills etc)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i have bad reactions to the pill in any of the forms i've taken it in, but i was thinking of getting a copper IUD which doesnt use chemicals but the presence of the device prevents pregnancy.

does anyone have one? i'm going to talk to my doc about it soon.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
my (at the time) good friend opted for a IUD years ago. So far she isn't pregnant :p

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
so I asked my dad to pick up my pill script for me (lol) because he was passing by the chemist and it was convenient, and he came home with juliet. I was prescribed diane :/ he insists its the same thing, so there's no difference right? except apparently juliet is cheaper so he saved me about 30 bucks which I guess is good. but it's the same thing? (lol worry)
im on juliet, its for acne as well. were u prescribed an acne pill?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lil lelu said:
im on juliet, its for acne as well. were u prescribed an acne pill?
Yeah I said I wanted something to clear my skin up a bit and I figured whatever she prescribed was the right thing

they go by different names though I suppose, I just wondered whether diane=juliet

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah same pill... juliet is the generic tho..

i find the generics work just as good.. for all medications.. but i dun use diane.. or juliet.. lol

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Yeah I said I wanted something to clear my skin up a bit and I figured whatever she prescribed was the right thing

they go by different names though I suppose, I just wondered whether diane=juliet
Sounds like its the generic version. If it is it should be the same and it shouldn't be a problem.

I was prescribed microgynon 30ED but I get levlen ED which is the generic version, it has the exact same amount of hormones and is like $10 or so cheaper.

If you are worried ask your doctor or pharmacist

em_516

bludging..
HSC
AlleyCat said:
i have bad reactions to the pill in any of the forms i've taken it in, but i was thinking of getting a copper IUD which doesnt use chemicals but the presence of the device prevents pregnancy.

does anyone have one? i'm going to talk to my doc about it soon.
Wow you're brave! :eek:
It's a shame you've had issues with the pill.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
my (at the time) good friend opted for a IUD years ago. So far she isn't pregnant :p
awesome. i might do it, though i've read some horror stories on the webz.

em_516 said:
Wow you're brave! :eek:
It's a shame you've had issues with the pill.
really? brave? why brave? :eek:

yeah i break out in rashes, put on 10 kilos and sweat profusely on almost all pills i've been prescribed. any others were dubious in their efficiency, birth control wise, so my GP said.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
IUDs...
yeah...
im not terribly keen on them, but when done properly theyre entirely safe and reliable

ABSTINENCE FOR THE WIN!

em_516

bludging..
HSC
AlleyCat said:
really? brave? why brave?
I'm sure it's not really a big deal but I thought it often hurts to get it inserted and stuff :S I'm sure it's all fine but yeh, I'd be way too scared :eek:

Just wikied it and it says "After IUD insertion, menstrual periods are often heavier, more painful, or both". How evil! Also lol at "The string(s) may be felt by some men during intercourse."

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
yeah i know it sounds kinda scary but its the only backup BC that has no hormones or wierd side effects.

i can handle heavy periods, thats the least of my worries...

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Man you poor thing. It's a shame it's your only real option! Good luck :)

rozymisty

HSC
IUDs as far as i know are put in under a general. At work when i was doing a pre op shift, there were several girls having a mareva put in and they were out completley.

My first op i had, to remove a polyp, the doc had written in the item numers that it was the same as removing a IUD>....

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
rozymisty said:
IUDs as far as i know are put in under a general. At work when i was doing a pre op shift, there were several girls having a mareva put in and they were out completley.

My first op i had, to remove a polyp, the doc had written in the item numers that it was the same as removing a IUD>....
oh dear...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)