The Simple Gift (1 Viewer)

-shAwty-oO1-

HSC
hey..

this is what i've written on the simple gift, chapter 3 Longlands road.

This is the name of the road where billy grew up and he describes his street as "shithole" to give the reader the an impression/image of the place where he grew up, we feel sympathetic towards billy when he refers to it as "My street. My suburb".Billy seems to not belong here - shown through his negative experience of growing up.

this is ONLY a basic outline of the poem.
But I hope it helped..:)

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
-shAwty-oO1- said:
hey..

this is what i've written on the simple gift, chapter 3 Longlands road.

This is the name of the road where billy grew up and he describes his street as "shithole" to give the reader the an impression/image of the place where he grew up, we feel sympathetic towards billy when he refers to it as "My street. My suburb".Billy seems to not belong here - shown through his negative experience of growing up.

this is ONLY a basic outline of the poem.
But I hope it helped..:)
Thanks for that, it helped a bit. :rolleyes:

Can we use motifs as a technique for this text? As Billy refers to his carriage as the place where he belongs/home.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Hey guys;

I did the simple gift for y12 this year, i enjoyed it too.
I have some essays, if you want to see them, although they are not based on the AOS concept, but the techniques are obviously the same

Great book!

bananabutt

HSC
ayehann said:
alright whats steven herricks perspective on belonging????!?!?! im so lost atm its not funny
Attached are some points on belonging, as understood from Steven Herrick's the Simple Gift (Some directly from articles regarding the simple gift, aswell my own interpretation of the themes). Sorry if they are unclear or unorganised, I just typed them up to put on here.

Hampsters-rul

HSC
I need another text

I am doing a speech on belonging im doing The Simple Gift and i am doing a speech and it is due this tuesday any ideas?? please reply ASAP i am starting to panic.

milolamb

HSC
Lujooboo said:
I'm confused..was Billy ashamed of stealing scraps or wasn't he?
No he wasn't ashamed, the stare hat he gave her was a sybolic meaning, which tells us that "You can call the manager and I will leave"
but Caitlin replies "I hate mopping"
Meaning they are both doing something they hate.

laurajw

HSC
This is an exercise we did in class. We each got a chapter. This is mine. Hope it helps you to relate techniques to belonging.

Chapter 5 – Techniques

Epigrams and images:
 “A kid who cant leave well enough alone” – this quote shows that Billy is interfering in Old Bill’s life and that they are developing a grudging relationship, at least on old Bill’s part.
 The image for this chapter is a ladder – possibly symbolic for their slowly developing friendship… one step at a time.

Language devices:
 Oxymoron – “rich and penniless”, p. 81, devalues material wealth making the point that it is not essential to belonging.
 Imagery/Metaphor – “the deep radiant colour burning gold, the bubbles dancing ballet-perfect to the rim, the sweet-bitter smell of malt and barley”, p. 95, engages the readers sense of sight and smell, allowing them to imagine the scene.
 Enjambment – “alone”, p. 84, highlights the fact that Old Bill is isolated.
 Metaphor – “… my sweet, lovely Jessie fell, and I fell with her and I’ve been falling ever since”, p. 98, Jessie’s fall is compared to Old Bill’s descent into isolation.

Symbolism:
 Ring – “I chose the thick silver ring with the green emerald stone small and shining green like her eyes”, p. 83, shows Billy is conforming to the rituals of society and that he feels he belongs with Caitlin.

Structure and juxtaposition:
 Kate’s experience with sex is contrasted with the emotional connection Billy and Caitlin share, “… we slept together only we really did just sleep together content to waste the hours”, 94.

Narrative, Perspective and Characterisation:
 Characters are gradually revealed – The relation of memories allows the reader to better understand the motives of the different characters eg. Billy: “I help Old bill because of Ernire and Irene… Because when I was twelve years old…”, p. 85, and Old Bill’s past is related in “Old Bill’s Fall”, p. 96-98.

alyshaaa!

HSC
Yeh, i'm doing it. But i don't have the worlds best teacher, all the other english classes at school get set tasks to do and all that jazz, we don't we just read it.
so i'm really freaking out about it... anyone care to help?

alyshaaa!

HSC
Shine - "Belonging"

Hi guys,
I'm studying the Simple gift and for my ORT im doing the movie Shine - 1996, Steven Hicks.
Has anyone seen it? or
Is anyone else doing it?
If so please, i could really use your help i'm having a little trouble with some questions that are set out for my ORT & just what your oppinion on it is.
Thanks a lot,
Alysha

hentaisama

HSC
thanks to this new tutor i have, suddenly this text seems alot more interesting

in responses to really set yourself apart from the other students in advanced or standard (whichever course your doing), my tutor encouraged talking about aspects of post modernism within the texts.
it is a difficult concept to grasp, but essentially post modernism incorporate
pastiche - the blending and reclying of texts - mixing diff genres, styles, etc.

resistance to singular, fixed meanings or interpretations - eg. multiple perspectives in the simple gift taking form through caitlin billy and old billy

non-linear strucutre

forgrounding the "other" - those who are marginalized - binary opposition

legitimating low or popular culture rather than high culture art.

the ones i mentioned are just a few that my tutor touched on. i strongly reccomend you go search up some of these if you dont fully understand thier definitions

turns out all the smart kids write about this, its just everyone is so caught up with thier rankings they dont want to help each other out

ps: im guessing everyones assesment is like in a week or something? i just posted this up, hopefully it'll help a person or two lol

Last edited:

TidyBoi

HSC
"Belonging is better than not belonging"

This is the essay question we were given in class.

It's due Thursday.

I have to relate it to "The Simple Gift" and 2 other texts of my choice.

Can anyone help me out with 2 other texts that are short and clearly show belonging?

How would I also go about answering this question?

sumsum

HSC
hey
can sum1 please tell me the techniques used in "The simple gift" and how it relates to belonging i really need help on it my teacher has been away for like everyday.
thank you.

milolamb

HSC
Genre {Relation to Simple Gift}

So here I did my speach... on deaf people, nicely done and all...
But I was told to relate it to the book "the simple gift"...
In the book it has nothing in a good relation to 'deafness or belonging' Really kinda, does anyone know a good topin that would be good in relations to the book???

I was thinking Romeo and Juliet, but yeh...
Something about love or sorrowful.

bored of sc

HSC
Re: "Belonging is better than not belonging"

Sounds trivial but what do you think about the thesis statement provided? Do you think is better to belong? Or vice-versa.

Okay, I'm a bit late so I'll stop.

em-leee91

HSC
lol yeh the simple gift is hard becozse its so simple lol

argg
i hate english

lol its so ironic

x

manoo

:.:.:Charmed Member:.:.:
HSC
hey does any one have any notes on individual chapters in a simple gift, if so, it would be much appreciated if you could post or send it to me.

manoo

:.:.:Charmed Member:.:.:
HSC
Thangquangtu said:
Do we consider this text to be poetry or poetry/novel ?
its considered as a collection of poems, so its poetry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)