The Stress is Overrated (1 Viewer)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
T-mac01 said:
Also, I didn't mean that the entire student population who got below the 90s each year didn't work hard. It's just that most of us on average would have the same ability and those that excelled have worked harder than those that didn't do as well. Simple as that. You might stuff your English exam up and even though this is possible, most of the time it's because those guys didn't prepare properly.

Your view of commendable performance just sounds so corny to me. That's all.
I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. For the last 2 years, in particular, I have worked extra hard to get good marks, yet my average is around 70% (subjects differ a little). I tried so hard to understand extension maths and yet, I only got 31% in my trials. I have worked just as hard in some subjects as the people who are getting the 90's, yet I can't do it. You are making a stupid generalisation based on people you know. I kind of find it insulting because I did fail the english exams despite the fact I studied a solid 10 hours the day before (not counting the hours spent studying the day before that, the day before that and so on). I knew all my texts really well, yet I completely screwed up the exam. Don't make assumptions. I know it's stupid to be offended by something so simple, but after working my ass off and failing, I get a 'little' sensitive when people say that I didn't prepare properly.
RANT OVER.

Gangels

HSC
The problem with stress is that it can make you do absolutely horribly, even if you have been studying. I had a freind who studies 10 hours a day and in her first exam, she froze. She looked at the clock and couldnt stop looking at it. She looked at it for an hour straight while scribbling on her paper. If you work consistently throughout the year, it is expected that you know your texts, however, some people just arent that patient and some others dont have as good a memories as some. I still think it does come down to stress though.

Tim035

HSC
Ahhh I see. So its not enough to do 6 - 8 hours a day, I also have to do it whilst ripping my hair out from stress and with asian parents yelling at me otherwise I won't get above 90?

I suffer from chronic fatigue, so I knew right from day one I would NEVER be able to do the huge amounts of study on a daily basis some people are capable of, I knew the only way I'd do well in this HSC was consistancy. And so thats what I have done, as a result I have full hand writen syllabus summaries which I'm very proud of aswell as having done between 20 and 30 (even more for maths) past exam papers for every subject. I find I'm at the point now where I'm bored, 99% of trial exam papers I'm doing at the moment I've already answered the exact same questions 3 or 4 times already on other papers so I've gone back to just condensing and improving my summaries more.

I was getting majorly stressed back before the trials because I was finding questions where I was going "Oh fuck I don't know what the hell the answer to that is" but now I can't find any reason to even become stressed or how I would benifit from it at all.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I am capable of studying max 30 minutes per session and max 2 sessions per day, and each session has to start with 1 hour procrastination. Yeah, I am not stressed. Whoever got stress must get 99 UAI.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. For the last 2 years, in particular, I have worked extra hard to get good marks, yet my average is around 70% (subjects differ a little). I tried so hard to understand extension maths and yet, I only got 31% in my trials. I have worked just as hard in some subjects as the people who are getting the 90's, yet I can't do it. You are making a stupid generalisation based on people you know. I kind of find it insulting because I did fail the english exams despite the fact I studied a solid 10 hours the day before (not counting the hours spent studying the day before that, the day before that and so on). I knew all my texts really well, yet I completely screwed up the exam. Don't make assumptions. I know it's stupid to be offended by something so simple, but after working my ass off and failing, I get a 'little' sensitive when people say that I didn't prepare properly.
RANT OVER.
You still sound like a last minute person. 10 hours before the day doesn't do jack for you. In fact, it affects you adversly.
Working hard requires consistency with your intensity in effort output.
Your result didn't reflect your overall effort might be because of your poor study techniques. I don't know. But it's very suspicious.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
T-mac01 said:
You still sound like a last minute person. 10 hours before the day doesn't do jack for you. In fact, it affects you adversly.
Working hard requires consistency with your intensity in effort output.
Your result didn't reflect your overall effort might be because of your poor study techniques. I don't know. But it's very suspicious.
Fuck off. You don't know how I study or how bloody consistent I've been throughout the year. You have no fucking clue as to how much effort I have put in, nor how much it kills me that none of it will get recognised in these exams. "It's very suspicious" - what? That besides all the effort I have put in, I'm still a dumbshit. Thanks, this has been a real confidence boost and a great stress reliever.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
sideshowtim said:
seriously.

when i came into the hsc i thought this was going to be the most stressful time of my life. it's been quite enjoyable for me actually. i keep hearing about how this is the hardest time of your life but over the last few weeks i've learnt alot, done pretty well in my exams and i'm happy about it. maybe it's just the kind of person i am, i'm sort of laid back but wow...the hsc isn't half as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Havn't read anyone elses replies, but as an ex (2yrs recovered) HSCer, I agree. It's a bug build up to nothing. The bonus is, once you get to uni End of Semester exams, they are a breeze compared to HSC, becuase all you need to do is get a Pass (>50%). Do your best and see where your future lies.

But also don't demean anyone else who may be feeling stress. It's normal to be stresses too - it's good. But everyone is different and in a few weeks the cards will be shuffled and you wont have any control over what happens next.

Good luck

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
The situation really depends upon how we individually accept it, i believe.

I'm asian. I have asina parents. I go to a selective school, so it's pretty competitive. Yet I don't ever allow all that to go to my head. For an asian, i'm actually pretty lazy :D. I cannot study alone; i need study partner. When i study alone one thing leads to another and i'm left with either playing with cards or reading a book.

My marks aren't all that flash. For an asian my maths has fallen BAD. My best subs are Econ and Legal, and my HSC english SUX (not because i'm asian, but because the syllabus is absolute bullshit). Discounting english, my HSC seems pretty ok so far. Physics was sweet today, and i'm not all that sussed about maths next week.

So, yeah, it's up to you how to react to your evironment. You're not robots. You're not mindless animals. We're human. Aren't we supposed to have higher thinking skills than that?

-P_D

Tristan'

props
HSC
advice to anyone doing the HSC next year,
don't break up with your girlfriend right at the beginning of exam's
it just add's a whole lot more stress and make's it so much harder to concentrate.

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC
I wish I stressed more. Maybe I'd be more motivated to study then.

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC
Tristan' said:
advice to anyone doing the HSC next year,
don't break up with your girlfriend right at the beginning of exam's
it just add's a whole lot more stress and make's it so much harder to concentrate.

I second that!

Although being in a relationship can leave you a lot less time for study.

Bricnic

Lookatmy Member
HSC
It depends on how much study you want to / are willing / are able to do anyway, and also how understanding your partner is.

Tristan'

props
HSC
yeah, i guess when i was with her i didn't have much time to study, but now that i don't have her i have alot more time, but still can't really get her off my mind

oh well only 2 more exam's then i can get back to straightening shit out

pushka

HSC
yeah, i have been freeking out that i havn't been freaking out.. there has been no stress at all??

well.. except for the mass of maths papers i have tried and failed horrably.. WHY!!!
**burns maths**

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
pushka said:
yeah, i have been freeking out that i havn't been freaking out.. there has been no stress at all??

well.. except for the mass of maths papers i have tried and failed horrably.. WHY!!!
**burns maths**
maybe you're just plain stupid?

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
*Ninny-mole* said:
Fuck off. You don't know how I study or how bloody consistent I've been throughout the year. You have no fucking clue as to how much effort I have put in, nor how much it kills me that none of it will get recognised in these exams. "It's very suspicious" - what? That besides all the effort I have put in, I'm still a dumbshit. Thanks, this has been a real confidence boost and a great stress reliever.
I think me being a bit suspicious would be a good thing here. It means I've eliminated the possibility of how stupid you are and rather criticise your way of working.
Come on, at least get that part of the message. Lady!

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Although I generally disgaree with T-mac's views, in this case most of what he has said is correct.

Firstly, there are always exceptions (ie. people with disabilities, major family problems etc.) but in a general context (as is the case here) we don't have a stuff about exceptions as it isn't relevant to most people here anyway. Anyway, in general if you obtain a low score it's due to a lack of effort. That, or you're stupid. There is no arguing against this point.

In any case, yes the HSC is certainly not the be all and end all. However, if it's not your priority during year 12, any low scores you get will be due to a lack of commitment and as such you would have only yourself to blame for any less than satisifactory results.

As a final comment, losers will be stressed out by t-mac's comments whereas winners will be motivated by them.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Anonymou5 said:
Although I generally disgaree with T-mac's views, in this case most of what he has said is correct.

Firstly, there are always exceptions (ie. people with disabilities, major family problems etc.) but in a general context (as is the case here) we don't have a stuff about exceptions as it isn't relevant to most people here anyway. Anyway, in general if you obtain a low score it's due to a lack of effort. That, or you're stupid. There is no arguing against this point.

In any case, yes the HSC is certainly not the be all and end all. However, if it's not your priority during year 12, any low scores you get will be due to a lack of commitment and as such you would have only yourself to blame for any less than satisifactory results.

As a final comment, losers will be stressed out by t-mac's comments whereas winners will be motivated by them.
Specifically, which of my views have you been disagreeing with? I would be interested to know.

DonnaLily

HSC
I think the stress [or more so anticipation] is gonna come after the exams, cause we're gonna be stressing on how well we went, the marks we'll get...

featherplucker

HSC
dude t-mac..ur an absoloute jerk! who are you to pass judgement on how other people have gone in their preperational time!? your a student just like everybody else here, only you find it that you can be above everybody else an pass judgement on things you dont even know! i give my respect to the people here that try their asses off and still dont do well, theyve got it the hardest out of everybody, people who do study and walk away witha a high uai have something to say for their efforts, what about those who dont get that uai they want? i think you should shut the hell up and stop barking over other peoples efforts. And yes YOU ARE WRONG. You make generalisations about how effective certain methods of preperation, and how a certain "niche" of people eg asian parent students, brit mums have it hard. Im sure they do, but back the hell up and remember the other 50,000 people doing this exam that have parents who care too! it is by far not tru that only a "few" can use the excuse of outside commitments as hindering their preperation and exam performance, many do! just because u have no life outside of this forum and the hsc doesnt mean other people dont. To some people consistent study just doesnt happen...but i bet my bottom dollar i could cram my ass off better than you can study all year!

i cant wait till you make it to uni next year, what a slap in the face that will be for u! now grow the hell up and get down off you high horse!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)